Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger

Go down 
+11
Grason
SPP YJ
Locked_N_Loaded
connordanny
GotMud?
thinga'ma'rig
jealos-z
rockdw72
md4wheelin
makitupthehardway
Rockn93YJ
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next
AuthorMessage
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2008 5:26 pm

Yeah, way too much weight. Don't waste your time on the 14 bolt. I'm going to spend the money and upgrade the 60. I won't have any trouble selling the stock shafts. I'm going to fix the YJ this weekend since the ARB parts came in. the D60 parts will be in next week while I am away so I'll have plenty to do when I get back from VA beach.
Back to top Go down
jealos-z
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
jealos-z

Male
Number of posts : 604
Emploi : Mechanic
Registration date : 2007-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2008 10:50 pm

Rockwells are added weight but I have 3 friends that are serious about runing in mud that run them and they are runing small blocks in fullsize trucks if you look at the pics I posted bouit mikes mudbog the dually gmc the tracker and the ford with the flatbed all run 2.5tons they are awesome Axles for the mud Bill when you get that jeep done you will have to come up here and run it in Mikes pit ..
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2008 11:04 pm

sounds good to me. My goal is to have it done for the local Frog Eye Road mud bog in late August.
Back to top Go down
thinga'ma'rig
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
thinga'ma'rig

Male
Number of posts : 972
Registration date : 2007-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2008 8:37 am

where is this mikes mud pit, maybee iff you go up there bill, i can join you in my jeep or buggy. i would like to see how your beast does. mbn
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2008 7:59 pm

sounds like fun. I'm gonna wear that pit out! If I ever get this damn thing done. Hard to do summer projects when there is so much to do like fishing and golfing. Leaving for Va beach on tues through sun.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2008 8:02 pm

Did some more research and found that I have the generation V big block from a 92 suburban. that means it is the problem child of the 454 world. requires special heads, standard cams wont work due to timing chain being different, it has non adjustable valvetrain. I've got a email into edelbrock inquiring about their performer RPM top end kit which includes heads, camshaft and intake which are dyno matched for about 500+ hp. With my luck it probably wont fit.
Back to top Go down
jealos-z
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
jealos-z

Male

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 29, 2008 5:46 pm

Mikes is in Bloomsburg PA He is a good friend of mine he owns 15acres and built a sweet pit in his backyard we had round 100 people there in june the next one is first Sat in Sept .
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male
Number of posts : 1875

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 29, 2008 7:26 pm

bill at this point would it be cheaper just to try to find another 454 that is not problematic and has more aftermaket parts for?
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 29, 2008 9:21 pm

md4wheelin wrote:
bill at this point would it be cheaper just to try to find another 454 that is not problematic and has more aftermaket parts for?
I was thinking that but I ran into the owner of Maryland Performance out of gaithersburg. I went to a family party and he was an invited neighbor. Performance vehicles is his specialty and he has been doing it for over 30 years. He has 5 people working for him at the shop in gaithersburg. He is going to sign a lease to bring the shop to Frederick by Sept. I spoke to him for about an hour. He is very confident that there will be no issues building this motor. Most probs evidently are when people do it themselves and don't know what they are doing. He does everything from custom computer programing to building custom camshafts and has worked with NHRA drag vehicles before with good success. He said if I want 650 hp and the motor doesn't do it on the dyno then I don't pay him. He has the most complete engine and chassis dyno in Maryland. Check out the web site at Marylandperformance.com I will be visiting him in the fall.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 29, 2008 9:24 pm

Oh yeah he said the 700r has a high first gear and it is a big difference to second and that is usually when it grenades. the second gear thingy can't handle over 500hp. he said I should go with a th400 and np205. no sense in building it twice. makes good sense. He also said he can get over 700hp out of the 454 on prem pump gas. 9
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male
Number of posts : 1875

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 29, 2008 10:01 pm

Rockn93YJ wrote:
He said if I want 650 hp and the motor doesn't do it on the dyno then I don't pay him.
But if it does you better be ready to JEEP, Just Empty Every Pocket and most likely the check book also.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558
Registration date : 2007-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2008 10:01 am

Rockn93YJ wrote:
He also said he can get over 700hp out of the 454 on prem pump gas. 9

I love it. 9 mbn Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2008 8:09 pm

md4wheelin wrote:
Rockn93YJ wrote:
He said if I want 650 hp and the motor doesn't do it on the dyno then I don't pay him.
But if it does you better be ready to JEEP, Just Empty Every Pocket and most likely the check book also.

Yeah, very cost prohibitive. To build it right I'm going to do this in stages. For now stock 454 with the current 700r and 231c with stock D60 gears 3.54 and no lockers. spring over with the waggy springs I have in front and YJ springs in back with 35" AT tires on H2 wheels with 5 1/2"
of backspacing. I have doors, a soft top, seats, the stock YJ cage and all the hardware to do this now. Only thing it will cost me is to paint the body. gonna sell the 4" lift springs since they are still fairly new, sell the bronco axles for whatever I can get for them and be done with this for the next year or so. It will be fun to drive this on the road and smoke the tires now and then. I like having a jeep to drive on the road and don't trust the YJ with the hi 9 rear. heh, smokem if you got em.
Back to top Go down
jealos-z
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
jealos-z

Male

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2008 10:29 pm

That stock 454 is gona have more than enuff power I built a 454 for a friend of mine just freshened it up with a towing cam and put it in a short bed chevy and the guy that has it now put 1 ton axles under it and lockers it will fry all 4 35in Boggers on asphault with ease... 9
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2008 8:52 pm

Very good point. I'll build it and see how it runs and go from there. Today I bought a Bluetorchfab full width kit for the front end. Includes the front bumper which I needed anyway so I saved myself some fab time. Had to order another damn D60 tool since I screwed up the last order and now have a D60 tool for an 85 up rear axle instead of the 79 axle. Also picked up some paint for the body today and will see how it looks before covering the jeep with it. This weekend I must fix the YJ! gotta wait for parts anyway.
Back to top Go down
jealos-z
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
jealos-z

Male

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2008 10:46 pm

Whats up with The YJ I cant wait to see this Cj its gona be sweet.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2008 8:43 am

YJ rear ARB seal blew out. I have the new improved seal and housing and just need to install it. Also has a bad joint somewhere in the front end causing the whole front axle to shift now and then. Probably track bar. I'll fix it either thursday or over the weekend.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2008 10:48 pm

Yahoo! my wrench is here and it fits, also got my disc brake conversion kit as well. looks like I've got plenty to do this Saturday.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2008 4:40 pm

Yj is fixed now. I spend some time beating on the rear junkyard D60 axle. The drums were rusted solid and it took quite a bit of beating to get the first one off. With the drum removed I beat out the lug bolts and removed the drum from the hub. I put the hub back on loosely for now. this saturday I'll do the other side and install the disc brake kit. Also plan on removing all the old hardware and installing the rear in the jeep with YJ springs. I have new 7" perches for the leaf springs that have 3 holes in them so the axle can be offset an inch or so if needed. also have new u bolts to use. Goal is to have the rear installed on saturday and then get measurements for the rear driveshaft. I might have time to start tearing down the front as well and see what new parts need ordered.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 12, 2008 12:21 am

take lots of pictures
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 12, 2008 5:50 pm

Spent the day rebuilding the rear D60.
Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 Axleshaftremoved8bolts
Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 D60Rustedsolid
Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 Thereisaspindlenut29-16inthere
Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 1nutswithretainingwasherinbetween
Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 Toseparatedrumfromhubremovelugbolts
Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 Withlugsoffhubliftsoffdrum
Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 Airtoolsmadequickworkofrustedbolts
Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 Brakeassemblycomesofftogether
Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 Allthatremainsisthespindle
Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 Hubsremovednowtimefortheplasmacutte
Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 Hardwareremovedandhousingandtubescl
Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 Discbrakeconversionkitebay
Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 Spindlerustremoveddiscbrakemountbol
Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 Rotormountstobackofhubassemblywithl
Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 Smackemin
Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 Timetopacksomebearingsonthisfullflo
Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 Loadbearingandsealandmountonspindle
Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 Insertbearingthenspindlenutwasheran
Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 Insertaxleshaft
Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 Insert8bolts
Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 Throughthecaliper
Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 Brakescomplete
Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 Axlereadyforinstall
[img]
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 12, 2008 10:14 pm

Rear D60 is ready for the leaf pads to be mounted. I'm leaving the gears alone, they looked good. Decided finishing the rear end was enough for today. Thats the problem with living on the potomac river. Took the boys fishing. Casey caught the biggest today.
Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 Fish
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2008 10:01 pm

Tore down the front 79 D60 kingpin axle.
Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 HPIM1913
Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 HPIM1914
Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 HPIM1915
Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 HPIM1916
Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 HPIM1917
Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 HPIM1918
Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 HPIM1919
Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 HPIM1920
Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 HPIM1921
Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 HPIM1922
Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 HPIM1923
Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 HPIM1924
Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 HPIM1925
Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 HPIM1926
Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 HPIM1927
Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 HPIM1928
Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 HPIM1929
Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 HPIM1930
Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 HPIM1931
Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 HPIM1932
Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 HPIM1933
Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 HPIM1934
Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 HPIM1936
Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 HPIM1938
Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 HPIM1941
Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 HPIM1942
Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 HPIM1943
Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 HPIM1944
Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 HPIM1945
Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 HPIM1946
Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 HPIM1947
Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 HPIM1948
Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 HPIM1949
Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 HPIM1950
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2008 10:04 pm

Time to order some parts, gonna need new brake calipers, brake pads, bearings and seals for the hub and a kingpin rebuild kit as well as new brake hoses etc.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2008 10:45 pm

Hey Bill I would also look in to getting a new brake master cylinder. I know that most of the guys that runs 60's or 60's and a corp 14 bolt like the E350 MC swap. I think with new disc's in the rear and the double piston calipers on the front 60 will need the extra stopping power. I'm thinking of doing it myself for the YJ but I'n not sure if it would be over kill for the D44 and the 8.8
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger
Page 2 of 17Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next