Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

ARB o-ring new style

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671
Registration date : 2007-01-20

ARB o-ring new style Empty
PostSubject: ARB o-ring new style   ARB o-ring new style Icon_minitimeTue Jun 24, 2008 8:18 pm

Discovered that my rear locker wasn't working AGAIN at the big dogs event. took apart the 9" rear to discover the o ring in the ARB locker was busted again. This was just after having the gears replaced at appalacian offroad. I ordered the new parts and 14 days later I get the parts in but they look different. The o ring was supposed to be a round o ring but instead was square. Also ordered a new housing for the o rings with the copper tubing and on the receipt it said "new style" next to the housing and o ring. ARB says it is the new improved design. I won't do the writeup because there are plenty out there but here is a link to one that shows the new parts.
http://www.links4jeeps.com/writeups/arb_oring/
Old style o-ring.
ARB o-ring new style DSCN6542
New style o-ring
ARB o-ring new style DSCN6545
By the way when I ordered the o-rings I thought it would come in a set of 2 but it doesnt. I wanted to have a spare set of o-rings since they take so long to come in. If you order new o-rings and want 2 sets then you must specify quantity as 4.
Here is a link to the shop I bought them from who claims to have it in stock. http://www.marlincrawler.com/htm/diff/arb_parts.htm
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: ARB o-ring new style   ARB o-ring new style Icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2008 3:41 pm

Ok rear arb seal has been replaced and works fine.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: ARB o-ring new style   ARB o-ring new style Icon_minitimeSat Jul 26, 2008 6:50 pm

OK worked fine with bench test but first trip out and first obstacle it FAILED AGAIN! seal blew out the end of the housing again. I sent an email to ARB and will call them monday to see what gives.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: ARB o-ring new style   ARB o-ring new style Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2008 10:42 pm

Spoke to ARB today and he said the housing with the copper tube is too close to the end of the locker. the housing with seals slips far enough out to allow the seal to slip out and leak and possibly tear. He recommended tightening up the underlying adjuster nut a couple thousands and allow the seal housing to slip on farther. I'll give it a try when the new parts come in, they did ship today. I did order extra just in case.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: ARB o-ring new style   ARB o-ring new style Icon_minitimeMon Aug 04, 2008 6:13 pm

now by tightening up the ARB adjuster nut it will tighten down on the ring/pinion backlash. they said a couple thousanths. I'm going to tighten it until the seal doesn't show which is about the thickness of the seal. is there a problem in the gears are too tight? doesn't see much street use at all. maybe once a month 20 miles plus jeeps on the beach.
Back to top Go down
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male
Number of posts : 1243

PostSubject: Re: ARB o-ring new style   ARB o-ring new style Icon_minitimeMon Aug 04, 2008 6:43 pm

I am guessing you don't have a dial indicator. You should have a little amount of play. A hill billy way to check and make sure it’s not to tight is to send a piece of paper though the ring and pinion if it jams it up it to tight. It should cut the paper. The right way to do it is with a dial indicator.
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: ARB o-ring new style   ARB o-ring new style Icon_minitimeMon Aug 04, 2008 7:49 pm

hmmm. Ok so if I do the paper shredder trick and it is ok as is then the ARB locker cannot work until the gears wear down. If I say screw it and tighten it down too tight what will happen? overheat(bad catastrophic failure)? excessive wear(dont care and will help the cause)? Or will it just be noisy until it wears down? (Insert noisy rear end joke here)
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: ARB o-ring new style   ARB o-ring new style Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2008 10:07 pm

Ok so i tightened down the adjuster nut about 1/4 turn, didn't really make much difference in the seal position but the gears are tighter. maybe after they wear down a bit it will fit better. If this thing grenades I'm going to put a detriot in there.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: ARB o-ring new style   ARB o-ring new style Icon_minitimeSun Oct 05, 2008 8:01 pm

Ok so the new style o-ring blew out just like the old style. The o-ring just sits too far out on the locker and you can see the o-ring. with the "play" in the housing that is required as soon as the locker is activated the housing allows the o-ring to slip off the end and blow out.
THe fix: I disassembled it AGAIN. This time after removing the 0-ring housing I removed the large adjuster nut that is used to load the bearings and backlash and all that stuff. I took the adjuster nut to the belt sander and took the thickness of it down by about 1/8". It took forever because I had to stop and let it cool after just a minute of sanding, got pretty hot even through the welding gloves. I would hold it on for a minute and let it cool for 5 minutes. at least while it was cooling i was able to get stuff done to the CJ. With the adjuster nut thinner the seal housing slid on pretty good and you can no longer see the seal. bench test was successful! we will find out if it works at the KGB run next weekend.
ALso changed the oil for the first time in about 2 years, changed the filter too. Put in a quart of Lucas oil with the regular oil. Oil pressure is much better than it was before. guess it helps running oil that isn't black.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: ARB o-ring new style   ARB o-ring new style Icon_minitimeSun Oct 05, 2008 8:02 pm

Oh yeah, all my caliper bolts were bent or misshapen so I made a trip to advanced auto and picked up a set of 4. now all the heads are the same size. quite a blessing since I had 3 different sizes before.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ARB o-ring new style   ARB o-ring new style Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ARB o-ring new style
Page 1 of 1