Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

Drive shaft

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Allium
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Allium

Male
Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2007-04-06

Drive shaft Empty
PostSubject: Drive shaft   Drive shaft Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2008 2:26 pm

Question on drive shafts. Last year, when I had the lift and sye installed also had new drive shaft made and put in. Yesterday when driving to Fredericksburg I could hear a rythmic loud squeel. I thought maybe mud in the brakes but it got worse and so today I powerwashed the underside and still bad.

Took it to a shop and the drive shaft was shot - up at the top at the 2 u joints. as its only a year old what can I do to extend the life? should I expect to replace it yearly? Its a daily driver with maybe 6 off road trips.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Drive shaft Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive shaft   Drive shaft Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2008 4:26 pm

Grease the u joints regularly?
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male
Number of posts : 1875

Drive shaft Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive shaft   Drive shaft Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2008 6:48 pm

do you mean the ujoints are shot? If so, like bill said just grease them more often.
Back to top Go down
Allium
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Allium

Male

Drive shaft Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive shaft   Drive shaft Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2008 8:28 pm

The whole shaft was shot and squeeling. The entire shaft was replaced. On my stock shaft I dont remember seeing a grease nipple, never heard that they needed lub. This new one has a grease nipple on the bottom half. When I read your response about greasing U joints, never knew that either. I bought a spare joint a year ago as a just in case and I didnt see a fitting on that either.

An expensive lesson I guess. Now that I see one on the shaft itself, should I look for one on the front stock shaft and how often should they be lubed - the shaft and joints?

I actually got lucky. I dropped it off at 10am on my way home at a place on 17 in fredricksburg called A &J auto and they said it would have to be sent out and should be back by 330 friday. They had it done by 4 today once I mentioned I was retired (disability) military.
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male

Drive shaft Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive shaft   Drive shaft Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2008 4:53 pm

scratch you got me stumped, unless you twist or dent the driveshaft it will not fail or make noise. now the part of the drive shaft with the two ujoints in it (the caradan joint or something like that) can fail and make noise. usally stock ujoints do not come with grease fittings were the heavyduty/aftermarket ones do.
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male

Drive shaft Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive shaft   Drive shaft Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2008 4:57 pm

as for lube a squirt after a wheeling trip should work. though do not over grease it which can be bad because the drive shaft will not collaps with to much grease.
Back to top Go down
connordanny
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
connordanny

Male
Number of posts : 695
Registration date : 2007-01-19

Drive shaft Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive shaft   Drive shaft Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2008 5:11 pm

I had the same problem with my Tom Woods driveshaft earlier this year. I used Sean's write up from Rausch Creek's site to help me get it working again. I needed the centering ball for about $70 to get me running again.

http://www.rc4x4.org/rcforum/index.php/topic,811.0.html

Did you have any vibrations?
Back to top Go down
Allium
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Allium

Male

Drive shaft Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive shaft   Drive shaft Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2008 8:01 pm

Hmm i could have also dinged it - was at rausch for 2 days then noticed it tuesday am. I didnt get the old one back unfortunately - was so shocked they had me done so fast and that I could get on the road rather than have to spend a night in a hotel. I would have liked to see how bad I messed it up. Until this happened I didnt know squat about them. when it was installed what I was told was it had a very slight vibration and if it was an issue they could do another. It was a reputable place that put it in so I didnt question and didnt notice since it was also the first time running lifted and with mud tires. Ignorance may have cost me but I guess thats how you learn. tho better on someone else than your own!

I did find a few sites that will help although I saw one on rebuilding the shaft - no way could I have done that - I dont even have a place at home to do it let alone on the road.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Drive shaft Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive shaft   Drive shaft Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Drive shaft
Page 1 of 1