Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

Transplant from NC

Go down 
+3
makitupthehardway
Rockn93YJ
RatLabGuy
7 posters
AuthorMessage
RatLabGuy
LS/Locker
LS/Locker

Male
Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2008-03-30

Transplant from NC Empty
PostSubject: Transplant from NC   Transplant from NC Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2008 10:40 pm

Hi guys. Just moved up here from NC, Winston-Salem area... now living just outside of Aberdeen on teh way to Churchville/Bel Air.

I'm a bit of an unusual charactar for the wheeling scene; professionally, a neuroscientist (study brains and brain function for a living), a research guy (PhD, not a "real" doctor...) and a lab-rat nerdy type. just started a fellowship with the ARL at the APG.

But by night/weekend, I'm a wrench/DIY jockey... my vehicle of love is an '89 4Runner, currently only mild/moderate mods... still IFS, mild lift and 32s, but very soon i'll be swapping in the 5.29s and locked f/r. i'm known more for fabbing 4Runner tops, I've done a bit w/ the fiberglass, one made into a targa-style, and as panel chop-top, bikinis, etc.
I'm a die-hard user of NC4x4, a huge forum back home, so well familiar w/ webwheeling too.

Looking to get connected here ASAP, hopefully out on the trails before too long, once I get the family settled in. I get the impression that Rausch Creek is the big playground, but is there anything closer to my kneck of the woods?
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Transplant from NC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transplant from NC   Transplant from NC Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2008 10:54 pm

Unfortunately, Rausch is about all there is "close by" since Paragons closure. There are some mild wheeling areas that are legal with some state parks but nothing wild. There is Big Dogs in Winchester VA 4-5 times a year.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558
Registration date : 2007-01-19

Transplant from NC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transplant from NC   Transplant from NC Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2008 10:57 pm

nope RC is the closest park to you for wheeling. Also are you planning on installing a locker in your IFS ?
Back to top Go down
UPNOVER
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
UPNOVER

Male
Number of posts : 856

Transplant from NC Empty
PostSubject: re   Transplant from NC Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2008 11:06 pm

Welcome to the forum and to the neighborhood. Just south of you in Joppatowne.. I am familiar with the NC 4x4. I stay in touch with a few members down that way.. Hope to see you out on the trails or the next get together..
A few of the members in our area frequent McGerks, which is a very nice restaurant/bar in Bel air. Hope to see you there also..
Back to top Go down
RatLabGuy
LS/Locker
LS/Locker

Male

Transplant from NC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transplant from NC   Transplant from NC Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2008 12:00 am

UPNOVER wrote:
Welcome to the forum and to the neighborhood. Just south of you in Joppatowne.. I am familiar with the NC 4x4. I stay in touch with a few members down that way.. Hope to see you out on the trails or the next get together..
A few of the members in our area frequent McGerks, which is a very nice restaurant/bar in Bel air. Hope to see you there also..

McGerks, huh? I'll have to look it up. I don't know anybody here, so it'd be nice to make soem buddies.

Drats on the closer spots. I used to live w/in 1:20 of the uwharrie NF, so that was pretty convenient, although all the trails there are failt mild (w/ a handful of exceptions). This past May I cpmpeted in the Uwharrie 4x4Cross rally race there... good times...

makitupthehardway wrote:
Also are you planning on installing a locker in your IFS ?

Yes, the IFS will be locked. Yes, I know this is a bad idea. I got an un-passable deal on a Lockright for the 7.5 so I figured, what the hell. W/ <35" tires and no drop-bracket lift, I'm hoping it will last.
I already have it installed into a chunk w/ 5.29s, all ready to swap in - you should have seen the movers' faces when they had to package/lift that thing, lol. I just picked up a rear E-lcoker third I got similarly geared (triple flanged, solid spacer, etc) to match it.
I only did the front b/c originally the back was going to be open, then I scored a deal on the rear unit so jumped in. Now that I have that, I'd consider a trade for an LSD front, but that's a rare bird.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558

Transplant from NC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transplant from NC   Transplant from NC Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2008 8:42 pm

I would just lock the front. LSD in the front of any rig will just piss you off. I would start saving for the solid front axle swap. I'm glad I didn't have to deal with that with mine but since its a 84 I have to swap the steering box and set up the high steer. I hope to be wheeling mine in the next 6 month to a year. Till then I will just wheel the YJ since its almost completely built.
Back to top Go down
Chris Taylor
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Chris Taylor

Male
Number of posts : 359
Registration date : 2007-02-07

Transplant from NC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transplant from NC   Transplant from NC Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2008 8:57 am

Welcome I am also near you on the BelAir . Forest Hill line. I'll have to get you introduced to a friend of mine with a sick 85 4 Runner. We wheel together at RC at least once a month.
Back to top Go down
RatLabGuy
LS/Locker
LS/Locker

Male

Transplant from NC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transplant from NC   Transplant from NC Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2008 6:10 pm

Chris Taylor wrote:
Welcome I am also near you on the BelAir . Forest Hill line. I'll have to get you introduced to a friend of mine with a sick 85 4 Runner. We wheel together at RC at least once a month.

Awesome, I'm in!
How long in the hike to RC from here? Google says only ~120 miles, but I have no sense of the roads/actual speed.
Back to top Go down
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male
Number of posts : 1243

Transplant from NC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transplant from NC   Transplant from NC Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2008 7:48 pm

2hrs maybe a little more
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
tom85
Open/Open
Open/Open
tom85

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2008-07-08

Transplant from NC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transplant from NC   Transplant from NC Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2008 8:03 pm

welcome and if your interasted next weekend is the northeast toyota takeover at RC i belong to mid atlantic toyota crawlers club and that who im going with if i can fix my tranny in time. You should try to go last time i went with them they stock FJs out on the trails
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671

Transplant from NC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transplant from NC   Transplant from NC Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2008 9:53 pm

I'm going this weekend to ride around the xterra east coast event. Going with some frineds with another club since most are going to the pa jeep show and rode last weekend.
Back to top Go down
RatLabGuy
LS/Locker
LS/Locker

Male

Transplant from NC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transplant from NC   Transplant from NC Icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2008 4:02 pm

tom85 wrote:
welcome and if your interasted next weekend is the northeast toyota takeover at RC i belong to mid atlantic toyota crawlers club and that who im going with if i can fix my tranny in time. You should try to go last time i went with them they stock FJs out on the trails

Hm, that sounds awesome... unfortunately, since we will have only been in twon 2 weeks I'm not sure if I could swing the time away from the fam already (wife dosn't know many people and is a bit anxious about this whole move). Plus, just a few days before coming up here I F-ed up my front end getting in a last-mite trip at Uwharrie, had to replace my idler arm in a friend's garage the daya before we moved just to be safe on teh road... need to replace soem things, get it al lsecure before another run out.
My shop/equipment is still in shambles, hopefully I'll start getting all setup in teh next few days though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Transplant from NC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transplant from NC   Transplant from NC Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Transplant from NC
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Free At Last :: Newbie-
Jump to: