Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

Square driveshafts

Go down 
+2
UPNOVER
Rockn93YJ
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Square driveshafts Empty
PostSubject: Square driveshafts   Square driveshafts Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2008 9:01 pm

To those who have run them I have a few questions. Are you still running them and if so why or why not? Is it a good cheap alternative to the $300 driveshafts I would need for my CJ? I doubt there is a bolt on driveshaft that will fit my CJ spring over with 1.5" springs?
Back to top Go down
UPNOVER
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
UPNOVER

Male
Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2007-01-19

Square driveshafts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Square driveshafts   Square driveshafts Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2008 9:28 pm

I just went through this discussion two weeks ago. Alot of guys on pirate had conflicting statements. It is a cheaper way to go but no one had any other comments except that if you get hung up on a rock bed where the driveshaft is laying on the rock it will bend easier than if it was round.

I ended up taking my driveshaft to Perryhall Power and after talking to him about rebuilding mine and the cost I ended up having him build me another and keep my original as a trail spare. It is now mounted in the back of the jeep.

It cost me 350 for the double cardone shaft.
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male
Number of posts : 1875

Square driveshafts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Square driveshafts   Square driveshafts Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2008 10:01 pm

I went square and havn't had any probs with it. hell with the cost of building them you could destroy almost 20 of the square ones before you begin to match the cost of one round one. Though I wouldn't use it on on a D.D. rig or a rig that sees a lot of street use.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558
Registration date : 2007-01-19

Square driveshafts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Square driveshafts   Square driveshafts Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2008 11:03 pm

Hey Bill I have a guy in Lorton, Va that just cut down my two front drive shafts for 100 bucks. Hey rebuilt me CV shaft last year for 150 bucks(I think) He has also retubed to front shafts for me. One I broke being a dumb ass and the other was parts that I gathered from others. I can get his number if you want me to. Square shafts tend to be the favorite with the low budget guys. Most people stay with the traditional drive shafts for strength and balance.
Back to top Go down
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male
Number of posts : 1243

Square driveshafts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Square driveshafts   Square driveshafts Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 12:33 am

See, I heard the opposite. where people would beat the piss out of them on the rocks not worry. I have never heard of one breaking, I sure its been done. I think if joe had a round one on tomb stone this weekend it would of been tost.
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male
Number of posts : 1875

Square driveshafts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Square driveshafts   Square driveshafts Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 8:25 am

rockdw72 wrote:
See, I heard the opposite. where people would beat the piss out of them on the rocks not worry. I have never heard of one breaking, I sure its been done. I think if joe had a round one on tomb stone this weekend it would of been tost.

x2
heres a test take a 5lb sledge to a thick wall square shaft and then do the same to a round shaft. I don't think the round one will be winning this test Idea

though bill I think you make want to consider going round just because of the high rpms that the shaft will be turning in the mud.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671

Square driveshafts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Square driveshafts   Square driveshafts Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 8:45 am

My front shaft I could have retubed but the rear one needs replaced. good point about high rpm. I did read where they are good to 40-50 mph if done right. I might just bite the bullet and pick up a round cv shaft. if it was just for slow crawlin then I'd go square.
Back to top Go down
thinga'ma'rig
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
thinga'ma'rig

Male
Number of posts : 972
Registration date : 2007-01-22

Square driveshafts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Square driveshafts   Square driveshafts Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 12:22 pm

i have my square front shaft, i bent one then went with a 3/16 thick inner piece, works great now and i have all kinds of rock rash on it
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Square driveshafts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Square driveshafts   Square driveshafts Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Square driveshafts
Page 1 of 1