Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

suspension winch for the rear?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558
Registration date : 2007-01-19

suspension winch for the rear? Empty
PostSubject: suspension winch for the rear?   suspension winch for the rear? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 10:32 pm

so I got a 1500 lbs ATV winch from a friend a couple of years ago and forgot all about it till I was clearing mom and dads garage today of the last of my stuff. I would like to set it up for the rear since I still have the revolvers in the rear and I have no plans in the near future to extend the wheel base. So with that said I have two questions.

1. is it strong enough?
2. Am I right about putting it in the rear or should I put it in the front?
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671
Registration date : 2007-01-20

PostSubject: Re: suspension winch for the rear?   suspension winch for the rear? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2008 9:02 am

I truly believe the winch would be best used in the front. Most useful on hill climb when the front unloads. There were very few times that I wished I had a rear suspension winch.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: suspension winch for the rear?   suspension winch for the rear? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2008 9:03 am

it is strong enough but be ready to replace the cable when it breaks. might have to cut the cable short so it has less wraps on the drum and more power.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: suspension winch for the rear?   suspension winch for the rear? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2008 4:37 pm

I was planing on changing the cable to start with. I will bring it with me tomorrow maybe we can do some brain storming on ways to set it up.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: suspension winch for the rear?   suspension winch for the rear? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2008 4:59 pm

sounds good. can probably use a pulley to double it's pulling force.
Back to top Go down
Grason
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool

Male
Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2007-09-12

PostSubject: Re: suspension winch for the rear?   suspension winch for the rear? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2008 10:04 pm

you would need a couple pullys, my buddy got a 2500lb warn and with one pully that thing dies when its sucked all the way down, and my 3k bulldog has a good bit more power. just my .02
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: suspension winch for the rear?   suspension winch for the rear? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2008 10:39 pm

Thanks for the tip. I'm planning on running two pulleys in the setup. Bill and I did some work today on my jeep and did a little planning on how to set it up. I think I'm going to stick with the front but I might try to get one for the rear also.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: suspension winch for the rear?   suspension winch for the rear? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

suspension winch for the rear?
Page 1 of 1