Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

volenteerism

Go down 
+8
ffhill61
rockdw72
The Devil Dog
adrenaline325
Locked_N_Loaded
UPNOVER
Rockn93YJ
lt.dan
12 posters
AuthorMessage
lt.dan
LS/Locker
LS/Locker
lt.dan

Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2008-11-12

volenteerism Empty
PostSubject: volenteerism   volenteerism Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 10:57 pm

just trying to get a rough idea of how many people would show up to do volenteer projects at some of our state forests. it would be very helpfull for me when discussing these projects with our friends at the DNR to know what kind of turn out we can expect.
IT IS YOUR PUBLIC LAND,YOU ONLY GET OUT OF IT WHAT YOU PUT IN
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671
Registration date : 2007-01-20

volenteerism Empty
PostSubject: Re: volenteerism   volenteerism Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 11:03 pm

Dan, you know from past experience that we would love to help. Really depends on the day and what sports the kids are playing. Would love to get back out to western maryland for some camping and work/play time.
Back to top Go down
UPNOVER
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
UPNOVER

Male
Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2007-01-19

volenteerism Empty
PostSubject: Re: volenteerism   volenteerism Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 11:21 pm

We did a trail cutting at Rausch last year and only 6 of us showed up....... 4
Back to top Go down
Locked_N_Loaded
Admin
Admin
Locked_N_Loaded

Male
Number of posts : 1783
Registration date : 2007-02-09

volenteerism Empty
PostSubject: Re: volenteerism   volenteerism Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 12:05 am

I'm always game for this. I just need to know ahead of time. Last cutting at rausch didn't work out for me because i believe it fell on a saturday? I'm trying to remember what the hell happened with that.

Any PA opportunities for state forests?
Back to top Go down
adrenaline325
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
adrenaline325

Male
Number of posts : 103
Emploi : piccotek
Registration date : 2007-09-22

volenteerism Empty
PostSubject: Re: volenteerism   volenteerism Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 1:19 am

I like the idea of clean up days or trail cutting days. Same deal though - luck of the draw on when I am available...

Seems like a good plan when we can serve on one day and wheel on the next.
Back to top Go down
The Devil Dog
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
The Devil Dog

Male
Number of posts : 1306
Emploi : New Suzuki and Used Car Sales

volenteerism Empty
PostSubject: Re: volenteerism   volenteerism Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 2:25 am

Dan, select a day and a month when this would be good for the DNR and we will see what we can do and then you can get back to them with the findings.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/tico_mrr
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male
Number of posts : 1243

volenteerism Empty
PostSubject: Re: volenteerism   volenteerism Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 2:48 am

I don't think dan is talking about just trail cutting. there is not much out there to make trails out of. I think the goal is to show an active interest in state and national parks.
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
adrenaline325
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
adrenaline325

Male

volenteerism Empty
PostSubject: Re: volenteerism   volenteerism Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 3:26 am

Regarding volunteerism, I would be happy to use my rig in winter storms to get people to-from the hospital ferry doctors / nurses to work. that sort of thing - I think liability gets in the way there... Seems like there are opportunities out there, but they are hard to find. The Appalachian trail club does search and rescue operations for lost boy scouts etc...

Seems like there is an opportunity for us there as a club as well, but I have had no success at making it happen. Anyone have any leads?

I have a cousin in Indiana who works as part of the police auxiliary's disaster squad where they can be called out for emergencies. Again, seems like an interesting idea...
Back to top Go down
ffhill61
Open/Locker
Open/Locker
ffhill61

Male
Number of posts : 37
Emploi : Firefighter
Registration date : 2008-07-10

volenteerism Empty
PostSubject: Re: volenteerism   volenteerism Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 9:32 am

Dan,

You can count on me anytime in the winter, late fall or early spring. (summer is out...farm stuff).
Back to top Go down
Locked_N_Loaded
Admin
Admin
Locked_N_Loaded

Male

volenteerism Empty
PostSubject: Re: volenteerism   volenteerism Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 12:09 pm

Matt you got it right with not just trail cutting. That shows we're available only when it directly favors our direct interests. Maintaining state parks' access roads, hiking trails, and recreational areas that are in constant need of maintainance would show that we truly are out to help and care about our land.

We could also look to join with some PA clubs to help in this area where it's closer for the PA members (and non members) of the club.
Back to top Go down
lt.dan
LS/Locker
LS/Locker
lt.dan

Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2008-11-12

volenteerism Empty
PostSubject: Re: volenteerism   volenteerism Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 8:17 pm

by getting out to the state forests, and pitching in with whatever kind of project needs done we become ambasadors of our sport. the perception that the general public has a bad picture of four wheelers. we need to dispell that myth by being seen doing good things. cutting trails is probably not going to make the list, but we have gone and cut the brush back on existing forest roads. marked snomobile , and hikeing trails. painted gates
ther are alot of things that need to be taken care of,and the forest budgets get cut all the time.
as for shuttleing doctors and nurses ,call the hospitals when we are getting nailed, and they will usualy put you right to work, boltimore 4 wheelers have an agreement with a hospital to help them when it snows. a few years ago i hauled people back and forth to GBMC from 8 am till about 7 pm when the governor anounced that the roads were closed eccept for emergency vehichles.

THANKS FOR YOUR RESPONSE
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558

volenteerism Empty
PostSubject: Re: volenteerism   volenteerism Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 10:26 pm

I'm in for anything that I can help with.
Back to top Go down
adrenaline325
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
adrenaline325

Male

volenteerism Empty
PostSubject: Re: volenteerism   volenteerism Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 10:51 pm

same here, put me on your list and let me know how I can help.

Greg
Back to top Go down
jealos-z
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
jealos-z

Male
Number of posts : 604
Emploi : Mechanic
Registration date : 2007-09-17

volenteerism Empty
PostSubject: Re: volenteerism   volenteerism Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 11:13 pm

Hey Nick dont forget our local, Shamokin that I hear is getn close when it happens I will be living there that place will make paragon look small and I have seen pics of trails that are unbelievable....
Back to top Go down
Locked_N_Loaded
Admin
Admin
Locked_N_Loaded

Male

volenteerism Empty
PostSubject: Re: volenteerism   volenteerism Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 12:32 pm

jealos-z wrote:
Hey Nick dont forget our local, Shamokin that I hear is getn close when it happens I will be living there that place will make paragon look small and I have seen pics of trails that are unbelievable....

i'm impatiently waiting 9

i haven't been up that way for over a year now and i miss it - keep me posted homegirl
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671

volenteerism Empty
PostSubject: Re: volenteerism   volenteerism Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 2:06 pm

I agree about the trail cutting vs state forest work. Rausch Creek and Rock run are there to make money and cutting trails there only helps them to make more money and make our 4wd trails better but does nothing to help our reputation. Helping with state forests directly helps our reputation. What is this I hear about Shamokin?
Back to top Go down
Locked_N_Loaded
Admin
Admin
Locked_N_Loaded

Male

volenteerism Empty
PostSubject: Re: volenteerism   volenteerism Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 2:09 pm

I could tell you....but then i'd have to kill you!
Back to top Go down
jealos-z
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
jealos-z

Male
Number of posts : 604
Emploi : Mechanic
Registration date : 2007-09-17

volenteerism Empty
PostSubject: Re: volenteerism   volenteerism Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 5:56 pm

Shamokin has been a kinda open to public nonorganized old mine area 4 many many years a group of wheelers have been working with the state to make it a park and they are damn close it is bout 10x bigger than paragon and thats no joke alot of trails are already there they are just in the middle of trying to make a map of it and getn all permits needed.
Back to top Go down
thinga'ma'rig
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
thinga'ma'rig

Male
Number of posts : 972
Registration date : 2007-01-22

volenteerism Empty
PostSubject: Re: volenteerism   volenteerism Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 9:29 pm

nick, love your disclaimer lk lol!
Back to top Go down
mdcj7
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
mdcj7

Male
Number of posts : 438

volenteerism Empty
PostSubject: Re: volenteerism   volenteerism Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2008 1:15 pm

Dan,

I will help when I can always busy at work but if the date is right I 'll be there.
Back to top Go down
The Devil Dog
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
The Devil Dog

Male
Number of posts : 1306
Emploi : New Suzuki and Used Car Sales

volenteerism Empty
PostSubject: Re: volenteerism   volenteerism Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2008 12:01 pm

A friend told me about that place, he said is a cool place to trail ride and it doesn't coast anything too. If it takes us to help clean it up, then al the more reason for us to get involved. Thanks Rob.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/tico_mrr
Sponsored content

volenteerism Empty
PostSubject: Re: volenteerism   volenteerism Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

volenteerism
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Free At Last :: Club Announcements-
Jump to: