Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

changing gear oil in 4 hours part deux

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671
Registration date : 2007-01-20

changing gear oil in 4 hours part deux Empty
PostSubject: changing gear oil in 4 hours part deux   changing gear oil in 4 hours part deux Icon_minitimeSun Mar 11, 2007 4:24 pm

so I got my currie high pinion 3rd member back and worked for a couple hours to reassemble everything. Everything seemed to work ok but I needed a new o ring for the arb seal at the differential. Off to home depot and found one that was good enough. Assembled everything and threw the lever to switch on the air compressor. It built pressure and then shut off like it should. Threw the lever for the rear locker and the compressor ran continuously. I checked the axle vent and sure enough it was blowing air. Rechecked the connection at the diff and knew I'd be changing the gear oil again. I pulled the axles, driveshaft and got the third member out and here is what I found.
changing gear oil in 4 hours part deux Ea5b544c
Look closely and you will see two problems. The answer coming up on the next reply.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671
Registration date : 2007-01-20

PostSubject: Re: changing gear oil in 4 hours part deux   changing gear oil in 4 hours part deux Icon_minitimeSun Mar 11, 2007 4:30 pm

changing gear oil in 4 hours part deux Ea5b544c
changing gear oil in 4 hours part deux Ea5b544b
The answer is a blown seal. you can see the o ring sticking out near the bottom. Also the other problem which is less obvious is the retaining spring clip is on backwards and upside down. You can see to half holes near the top right and top left and a single half hole near the bottom. The clip is supposed to hook into the two half holes near the top, one in each side and clip down at the single half hole near the bottom. Believe it or not it makes a difference. In the top arrangement the assembly has some free play in and out which allowed the seal room to push out. In the bottom picture the clip was installed properly and has no freeplay. I hooked the air lines and tested it this time before assembly and everything works fine. by the way, 85-140 gear oil runs through a funnel slower than king syrup. I ended up using a 2 oz syringe and blasting it in there to fill it up again. Now to put on an exhaust.
Back to top Go down
The Devil Dog
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
The Devil Dog

Male
Number of posts : 1306
Emploi : New Suzuki and Used Car Sales
Registration date : 2007-01-19

PostSubject: Re: changing gear oil in 4 hours part deux   changing gear oil in 4 hours part deux Icon_minitimeSun Mar 11, 2007 5:26 pm

Hwy Bill, this is good info, but sorry about your misshap.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/tico_mrr
MYYJROX
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
MYYJROX

Female
Number of posts : 738
Registration date : 2007-01-19

PostSubject: Re: changing gear oil in 4 hours part deux   changing gear oil in 4 hours part deux Icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2007 12:13 am

Maybe my gear oil issues transferred to you when you drove my Jeep (sorry). I know better than anybody how much it sucks having to deal with that stuff. What a pain. But...glad to hear you got it working & gave me a little more knowledge about mine. tongue
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: changing gear oil in 4 hours part deux   changing gear oil in 4 hours part deux Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

changing gear oil in 4 hours part deux
Page 1 of 1