Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

D60 high steer / cross over ??

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
CamoK5
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
CamoK5

Male
Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2007-01-20

D60 high steer / cross over ?? Empty
PostSubject: D60 high steer / cross over ??   D60 high steer / cross over ?? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 01, 2009 4:55 pm

I'm getting my K5 ready for Harlan and started to install my highsteer crossover and the dom tube appear to be to short. The drag link, from box to pass side is 30 1/2" long ang the tie rod is 39 1/2" long. Comparing the dom tie rod to the stock one it look to be about 10" to short, What gives ? When I bought the kit form a member on CK5 he said it was for a D60 and it came with everything to do the conversion but the tie rod ends. Any ideas ?

Thanks,
Mark
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671

PostSubject: Re: D60 high steer / cross over ??   D60 high steer / cross over ?? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 01, 2009 11:22 pm

not all tie rod ends are the same length. I have one end that is like 6" long and another end that is about 12" long. could you be using differnet tie rod ends than what he did? is the drag link inserting into the steering arm or into the tie rod end? if you go with the tie rod end insertion the tie rod end is much longer.
http://www.partsmike.com/tie_rodid.html
D60 high steer / cross over ?? ES_TREs
Back to top Go down
CamoK5
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
CamoK5

Male

PostSubject: Re: D60 high steer / cross over ??   D60 high steer / cross over ?? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 01, 2009 11:57 pm

The drag link goes into the pass side steering arm. The guy I bought it from never used it, everthing is brand new. I take it the L & R on the part numbers means which side it is threaded for.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: D60 high steer / cross over ??   D60 high steer / cross over ?? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2009 10:16 am

CamoK5 wrote:
The drag link goes into the pass side steering arm. The guy I bought it from never used it, everthing is brand new. I take it the L & R on the part numbers means which side it is threaded for.

Thanks

L and R is for left hand thread and right hand thread. Exactly what vehicle was it built for?
Back to top Go down
CamoK5
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
CamoK5

Male

PostSubject: Re: D60 high steer / cross over ??   D60 high steer / cross over ?? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2009 11:10 am

Bill,
They are for a 80's GM D60.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: D60 high steer / cross over ??   D60 high steer / cross over ?? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2009 5:31 pm

probably the best thing to do is track down teh manufacturer and find out from them what is going on. sounds like it might be a stock length tie rod made to go in the stock location and not in the steering arms. just a guess.
Back to top Go down
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male
Number of posts : 1243

PostSubject: Re: D60 high steer / cross over ??   D60 high steer / cross over ?? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2009 7:30 pm

If it is an inverted "T" style of hysteer I can see it being about 30"
D60 high steer / cross over ?? IMG_0546

or is it like this.
D60 high steer / cross over ?? IMG_0562-1

looking at the pics it doesn't look the the drag link dom is that long. now granted these are not full width. The top one is 64" wms to wms so yours would only be a couple inches longer.
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
Locked_N_Loaded
Admin
Admin
Locked_N_Loaded

Male
Number of posts : 1783
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: D60 high steer / cross over ??   D60 high steer / cross over ?? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 1:38 am

I know when talking to Zach from a to z he was telling me he saw a few failures of the longer tie rod ends on his buddies rig with a 60 high steer setup like the pics below. That might be something to consider as well if you have to make some changes now.

I need to make some changes to my steering setup. My steering box bottoms out before I come anywhere near the actual bump stops. I discovered this when measuring the throw when i was ready to do the hydro assist. The whole steering setup gives me a big headache scratch

Neither of this answers your question but I was just passing along some stuff I ran into that may or may not be helpful.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: D60 high steer / cross over ??   D60 high steer / cross over ?? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

D60 high steer / cross over ??
Page 1 of 1