Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

vons buggy repairs from big dogs

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
thinga'ma'rig
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
thinga'ma'rig

Male
Number of posts : 972
Registration date : 2007-01-22

vons buggy repairs from big dogs Empty
PostSubject: vons buggy repairs from big dogs   vons buggy repairs from big dogs Icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2009 10:43 am

well i put a different tranny in the buggy
working on the front springs now, i put springs from a 3/4 to truck under it so that i can come off rocks and jumps without bashing my shit up.....b-4 the axle would hit the frame..
also this is raising me 6 inches higher, (nice ground clearance). the buggy was so stable at big dogs i did not think the 6 inches is an issue. here are some pics so far of the new springs
vons buggy repairs from big dogs DSC03917
vons buggy repairs from big dogs DSC03923
vons buggy repairs from big dogs DSC03920
......I HAVE TO RE-MOUNT MY TRACK BAR BECAUSE OF THE HEIGHT DIFFERENCE
I STILL HAVE TO MAKE ANOTHER SKID AND RE-DO THE REAR ONE LINK YET.........I SHOULD HAVE ABOUT 25 INCHES OF GROUND CLEARANCE WHEN IT IS ALL DONE cheers
for now the front springs are u-bolted to the frame. after i see how it does on the trails. i am sure i will have to modify the mount to make for better travel (down drop).. ITS ALL GOOD jocolor
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558
Registration date : 2007-01-19

PostSubject: Re: vons buggy repairs from big dogs   vons buggy repairs from big dogs Icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2009 7:46 pm

I have never heard of anyone using 3/4 ton coils for a buggy. Not to say it wont work but does the buggy weigh enough to allow for flex? I would have thought that finding some lift coils or using the same ones with a low mount on the body to raise the spring might work better.

Also I wanted to ask about the 1 link. What worked and what failed with it last time?
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671
Registration date : 2007-01-20

PostSubject: Re: vons buggy repairs from big dogs   vons buggy repairs from big dogs Icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2009 8:00 pm

test drive will tell if the springs will work or not. definitely a lot of weight in the front end with that big block. rear 1 link basically couldn't handle the torque on the rear axle and it peeled the weld off the axle as it rotated the axle. I think his plan was to include some lower control arms onto the bottom of teh axle to handle the torque better.
Back to top Go down
thinga'ma'rig
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
thinga'ma'rig

Male

PostSubject: Re: vons buggy repairs from big dogs   vons buggy repairs from big dogs Icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2009 9:58 pm

bill is correct, also i am moving the pivot point to under the driveshaft. MY BALL HITCH JOINT LOOKS GREAT STILL. HOLDING UP QUITE NICELY......one of the reasons i went with somewhat of a stiffer spring is so that i can hammer comming over hill and what not without smashing down and breaking something (like joe did jocolor lol! ). dont worry, i have plans for the flexing issues Very Happy
Back to top Go down
thinga'ma'rig
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
thinga'ma'rig

Male

PostSubject: Re: vons buggy repairs from big dogs   vons buggy repairs from big dogs Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2009 5:06 pm

here are pics of the rear susp. after raising 7 inches. the extension tubes still must be boxed and welded around the frame. they are just tack welded right now. and the springs are bolted to the extension tube
vons buggy repairs from big dogs DSC03926

vons buggy repairs from big dogs DSC03925
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558

PostSubject: Re: vons buggy repairs from big dogs   vons buggy repairs from big dogs Icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2009 12:28 am

Are those three pieces of square tube welded together a track bar?
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671
Registration date : 2007-01-20

PostSubject: Re: vons buggy repairs from big dogs   vons buggy repairs from big dogs Icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2009 8:29 am

that is his rear track bar. Looks like the middle piece sleeves the other two pieces and welded together. It's got a little bend to it.
Back to top Go down
thinga'ma'rig
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
thinga'ma'rig

Male

PostSubject: Re: vons buggy repairs from big dogs   vons buggy repairs from big dogs Icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2009 8:58 am

YES. i allready had an arm to use and it was shorter,so i had to lenghen it with some 3/8 inch square tube. believe me, it will never break, it is sleeved in there quite a ways. i am going to put another support on the axle housing though going up to the top of the bracket
Back to top Go down
Grason
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool

Male
Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2007-09-12

PostSubject: Re: vons buggy repairs from big dogs   vons buggy repairs from big dogs Icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2009 3:07 pm

your front suspension would work smoother and better with a longer panhard bar......i dont know how much room you have to work with but i would def try and make it longer. just my .02
Back to top Go down
thinga'ma'rig
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
thinga'ma'rig

Male

PostSubject: Re: vons buggy repairs from big dogs   vons buggy repairs from big dogs Icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2009 6:48 pm

i think i might do that, thanks. working on the 1-link and skid plate right now. it should turn out nicely i think 9
Back to top Go down
MYYJROX
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
MYYJROX

Female
Number of posts : 738

PostSubject: Re: vons buggy repairs from big dogs   vons buggy repairs from big dogs Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 2:26 pm

Did you get any work done on it yesterday?
Back to top Go down
thinga'ma'rig
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
thinga'ma'rig

Male

PostSubject: Re: vons buggy repairs from big dogs   vons buggy repairs from big dogs Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 8:15 am

not really,worked for about 2 hours. that is just enough time to stop when you get started, the torch at my house took a crap on me so i had to switch tanks out monday. i will be working on it today after work though.
Back to top Go down
thinga'ma'rig
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
thinga'ma'rig

Male

PostSubject: Re: vons buggy repairs from big dogs   vons buggy repairs from big dogs Icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 11:34 am

here are some pics of my skidplate in progress
vons buggy repairs from big dogs DSC03944
when it is all framed up i will be putting a metal plate under the whole thing and bend it up the sides to the frame, that way it is all one piece, WELL ACTUALLY THE PIECE UNDER THE ENGINE WILL BE SEPARATE
vons buggy repairs from big dogs DSC03934
EVERYTHING STILL NEEDS TO BE FULLY WELDED, IT IS JUST TACKED RIGHT NOW. BUT IT IS COMING TOGETHER SLOWLY. DONT GET A WHOLE LOT OF TIME TO WORK ON IT.
WITH THE NEW SKID AND SPRINGS I WILL HAVE ALLMOST HAVE 24 INCHES OF GROUND CLEARANCE AT THE LOWEST SPOT. vons buggy repairs from big dogs 86155
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: vons buggy repairs from big dogs   vons buggy repairs from big dogs Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

vons buggy repairs from big dogs
Page 1 of 1