Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

Custom Tube fenders

Go down 
+4
Locked_N_Loaded
Rockn93YJ
connordanny
MYYJROX
8 posters
AuthorMessage
MYYJROX
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
MYYJROX

Female
Number of posts : 738
Registration date : 2007-01-19

Custom Tube fenders Empty
PostSubject: Custom Tube fenders   Custom Tube fenders Icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2009 8:52 pm

So instead of going to the Jeep Show I went to Bill's to get the tube fenders built. We started by getting the grill guard on the Jeep. I had it on once then had to take it off again to get the inner front fenders back on (to keep crap out of the engine). It needed some coaxing this time...by jumping on it and using a BF hammer. Twisted Evil

Then we started constructing the fenders by using some of the pipe I removed from the cage of my Jeep in the rear. The two main pipes already had a 90 degree bend in them and it just happened to be the right width. We attached it to the grill guard and then constructed from there based on what I decided I wanted after seeing what it looked like. Bill used up some scrap pieces he had around and we only used part of the pipe I brought. I bent a second pipe for a stinger but I'm not sure I'm crazy about the angle so I'll work on that later. So after much angle figuring (which I left to Bill & Dave), pipe cutting and welding. The framework is in place and now I just need to skin it in sheet metal and paint it. The grill guard (and eventual stinger) will be red and everything else will be black.

It took longer than I thought it would but significantly less time than it would have taken if I had tried to do it myself. I am very happy with it and I shouldn't have any more dented fenders...but may leave some dents in the trees that jump out in front of me. skull

Thanks again Bill. As always, I appreciate all your help.

Here is the link to the pics: https://s554.photobucket.com/albums/jj424/LUVMYYJ/Mechanical/Tube%20Fenders/
Back to top Go down
connordanny
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
connordanny

Male
Number of posts : 695

PostSubject: Re: Custom Tube fenders   Custom Tube fenders Icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2009 9:32 pm

Looks cool...
Is the whole thing gonna be red?
Back to top Go down
MYYJROX
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
MYYJROX

Female

PostSubject: Re: Custom Tube fenders   Custom Tube fenders Icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2009 9:40 pm

MYYJROX wrote:
The grill guard (and eventual stinger) will be red and everything else will be black.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671
Registration date : 2007-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Custom Tube fenders   Custom Tube fenders Icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2009 10:15 pm

of course she is free to change her mind at will and colors may change frequently
Back to top Go down
Locked_N_Loaded
Admin
Admin
Locked_N_Loaded

Male
Number of posts : 1783
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Custom Tube fenders   Custom Tube fenders Icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2009 10:27 pm

Good work, looking good, don't know about this paint scheme you're proposing though Razz
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male
Number of posts : 1875

PostSubject: Re: Custom Tube fenders   Custom Tube fenders Icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2009 10:33 pm

looks good but remember that every time someone welds on a stinger, baby Jesus kills 3 kittens.
Back to top Go down
Locked_N_Loaded
Admin
Admin
Locked_N_Loaded

Male
Number of posts : 1783
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Custom Tube fenders   Custom Tube fenders Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 12:26 am

lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male
Number of posts : 1243

PostSubject: Re: Custom Tube fenders   Custom Tube fenders Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 1:01 am

8 lbs 5 oz little baby jesus.
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558

PostSubject: Re: Custom Tube fenders   Custom Tube fenders Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 9:08 am

rockdw72 wrote:
8 lbs 5 oz little baby jesus.

lol!
Back to top Go down
thinga'ma'rig
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
thinga'ma'rig

Male
Number of posts : 972
Registration date : 2007-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Custom Tube fenders   Custom Tube fenders Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 7:29 pm

nice work, that should be assume for on and offroad coverage. a-1 job 7
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671

PostSubject: Re: Custom Tube fenders   Custom Tube fenders Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 7:44 pm

done yet?
Back to top Go down
MYYJROX
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
MYYJROX

Female

PostSubject: Re: Custom Tube fenders   Custom Tube fenders Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 9:16 am

Not done but got alot done this weekend. I made templates then cut the top of the fenders, cut off more of the old fenders, cleaned up all the metal, welded the old fendr to the bar then welded the new fenders on top. Welding two different thickneses of metal was harder and the welds don't look all that great. They had to be grided downsome but once I paint everything no one will notice (or care). I also cut the triangluar pieces for the body and have decided to screw them in place instead of weld them so I can get to the computer on the one side. I may just screw on the rear part of the fender on too or just weld part of it...there are some issues with things sitting flush so I haven't decided yet and I ran out of time. I drilled out and reattached the hood latces and now the hood closes again.

I changed out all of the ubolts on the front axe and put on the new spring plates. They are tight to the shocks so I may need to do some relocating of those later. I had a hell of a time...Jeep fell off the high lift/floor jack once (it was while I was jacking it up so I was out of the way and there was no damage) and one of the center pins wouldn't line up and I had to take everything back apart, get a grade 8 bolt and do it over again. I also mounted the passeger rear shock and bracket (finally)....not convinced I got a good weld there but we will see. Von I did remember to weld the nut to the plate before welding it together. Smile I put a new light on the trailer and had to do some rewiring.

Everything took alot longer than expected (as it usually does) but I'm happy with the progress. Not sure I'll get too much more done in the next two days with the temps being around 94 degrees but we'll see. I'll try to post pics later today.
Back to top Go down
connordanny
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
connordanny

Male
Number of posts : 695

PostSubject: Re: Custom Tube fenders   Custom Tube fenders Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 9:23 am

Sweet! Can't wait to see it this wknd!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Custom Tube fenders   Custom Tube fenders Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Custom Tube fenders
Page 1 of 1