Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

Phase 2 Mud sucks, I'm going racing!

Go down 
+11
SPP YJ
md4wheelin
Grason
MonsterS10
Locked_N_Loaded
rockdw72
thinga'ma'rig
jealos-z
Kim Matzen
makitupthehardway
Rockn93YJ
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
Hunt
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
Hunt

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2009-04-05

Phase 2 Mud sucks, I'm going racing! - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Phase 2 Mud sucks, I'm going racing!   Phase 2 Mud sucks, I'm going racing! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2010 11:39 pm

As far as the switch for the ARB

Do yourself a favor and hard wire(with a fuse) the pump on with the ignition. Without an extra switch there is one less thing to go wrong. There is one switch to remember to turn in for the locker. Make sure the intake tube for the pump is high and inside the cab so it does not suck in water. I apologize if these are things you know. Just trying to help out.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671
Registration date : 2007-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Phase 2 Mud sucks, I'm going racing!   Phase 2 Mud sucks, I'm going racing! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2010 11:48 pm

Hunt wrote:
As far as the switch for the ARB

Do yourself a favor and hard wire(with a fuse) the pump on with the ignition. Without an extra switch there is one less thing to go wrong. There is one switch to remember to turn in for the locker. Make sure the intake tube for the pump is high and inside the cab so it does not suck in water. I apologize if these are things you know. Just trying to help out.

The switch for the ignition already has a lot on it. Thats why i wanted another switch with a fused lead. I already have 2 side by side (1 for fuel pump, 1 for fan) so one more to turn on isn't a big deal I see your point about keeping it simple though. I'd like to get a new panel set up this winter to eliminate a lot of the switches. Being my first build for this type of thing I have a lot to learn and appreciate the insight.
Back to top Go down
Hunt
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
Hunt

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2009-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Phase 2 Mud sucks, I'm going racing!   Phase 2 Mud sucks, I'm going racing! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 12:25 am

Your best bet is to use the ignition switch to trigger a couple of relays. Use the low current draw of the switch to trigger the high current loads through the relays. Its much more efficient and safer. Use the same relays throughout with the properly sized fuse for the component. If you loose a relay you can switch a non critical one for a less critical one. If you loose the ignition switch you are dead in the water anyway. But you really don't want a lot of current running through any one single component.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Phase 2 Mud sucks, I'm going racing!   Phase 2 Mud sucks, I'm going racing! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 8:04 am

Hunt wrote:
Your best bet is to use the ignition switch to trigger a couple of relays. Use the low current draw of the switch to trigger the high current loads through the relays. Its much more efficient and safer. Use the same relays throughout with the properly sized fuse for the component. If you loose a relay you can switch a non critical one for a less critical one. If you loose the ignition switch you are dead in the water anyway. But you really don't want a lot of current running through any one single component.

Thanks, didn't think of that.
Back to top Go down
thinga'ma'rig
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
thinga'ma'rig

Male
Number of posts : 972
Registration date : 2007-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Phase 2 Mud sucks, I'm going racing!   Phase 2 Mud sucks, I'm going racing! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 8:26 am

awesome 9 what was the issue it had?
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Phase 2 Mud sucks, I'm going racing!   Phase 2 Mud sucks, I'm going racing! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 10:14 am

distributer, short in starter wire, timing chain, headspace and timing.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Phase 2 Mud sucks, I'm going racing!   Phase 2 Mud sucks, I'm going racing! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 11:28 am

Looks like my first chance for a shakedown run will be the thursday just prior to the race. I'm planning on heading to Rasuch on the thursday the 29th. Is there anyone here that can wheel that day?
Back to top Go down
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male
Number of posts : 1243

PostSubject: Re: Phase 2 Mud sucks, I'm going racing!   Phase 2 Mud sucks, I'm going racing! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 12:08 pm

I might beable to make it Thursday . Are people staying at the hotel or campimg
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
Locked_N_Loaded
Admin
Admin
Locked_N_Loaded

Male
Number of posts : 1783
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Phase 2 Mud sucks, I'm going racing!   Phase 2 Mud sucks, I'm going racing! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 12:46 pm

I'll be good to go with you Bill. I'll drag the Jeep if I have to but I never replaced the radiator.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Phase 2 Mud sucks, I'm going racing!   Phase 2 Mud sucks, I'm going racing! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 1:20 pm

might be a little to hot for camping but then again I might be up for it.
Back to top Go down
jealos-z
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
jealos-z

Male
Number of posts : 604
Emploi : Mechanic
Registration date : 2007-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Phase 2 Mud sucks, I'm going racing!   Phase 2 Mud sucks, I'm going racing! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 9:16 pm

HMMMMMMM JENNS GOIN TO THE BEACH THAT WEEKEND AND KELSEY HAS JUNIOR OLYMPICS FRI SAT SUN AT PENN STATE AND I JUS HAPPEN TO HAVE 2 VAC DAYS I GOTTA USE SINCE I WONT MAKE THE RACE. THURS IS A GOOD CHANCE I CAN DO THAT.....
Back to top Go down
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male

PostSubject: Re: Phase 2 Mud sucks, I'm going racing!   Phase 2 Mud sucks, I'm going racing! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 9:37 pm

they probably won't let you run at speed since they will be setting up. Might want to email and check to see if they have a spot where you can.
Back to top Go down
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male

PostSubject: Re: Phase 2 Mud sucks, I'm going racing!   Phase 2 Mud sucks, I'm going racing! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 10:15 pm

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=900615
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Phase 2 Mud sucks, I'm going racing!   Phase 2 Mud sucks, I'm going racing! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 11:08 pm

Emailed them this morning.
Phase 2 Mud sucks, I'm going racing! - Page 10 Image12
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Phase 2 Mud sucks, I'm going racing!   Phase 2 Mud sucks, I'm going racing! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 11:11 pm

Just heard back, Lynn doesn't think there will be anyone available to set it up. Still need a shakedown run and a few hours for repairs so I'll be there thursday.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Phase 2 Mud sucks, I'm going racing!   Phase 2 Mud sucks, I'm going racing! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 11:17 pm

Hey guys sorry I should have gotten this info up sooner. Here are the plans for the race...

RCQ movie 930PM friday night in Pine Grove

Fri

3pm Prerun
7pm-830Tech

Sat

7-8:30am Tech
9am drivers meeting
9:30 Staging for race
9:45 Race Ready (not 959)
10am Race start (lined up or not)

The whole race will be on the new property (pits , start/finish and course). Please check-in at the office for registration and to get your race pack. The course for this 1st race will be about 6 miles with 5 laps. The course goes past your pits each lap so no problem pitting each lap if needed.

We will be setting up for the race Friday AM so please don’t ask about early prerunning on Friday before 3pm because we won’t be ready. The NE property will be 100% shutdown for this race so there are no worries for others being on course and we don’t need to worry for crossing the road for this race also.

Let me know if I missed anything detail wise for the event.

Bruce
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Phase 2 Mud sucks, I'm going racing!   Phase 2 Mud sucks, I'm going racing! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 11:40 pm

rear axle vent DONE
Axle winch DONE
Switch for ARB power DONE
Grease Johnny Joints DONE
Tighten Link nuts DONE
lug nuts DONE
set timing DONE
install second fire extinguisher DONE
first aid kit mount DONE
Paint tub DONE
fix trailer fender DONE

vehicle numbers. crap I knew I forgot something.
Still some touch up stuff needed but for the most part I'm ready to go. Only test drive was through a neighbors field. Hasn't mowed this year so weeds were hood high but I knew where I was going. Rides smooth but tends to unload. Might need antisway bars. Gonna have to tune the suspension more.

Phase 2 Mud sucks, I'm going racing! - Page 10 IMG_0567
Phase 2 Mud sucks, I'm going racing! - Page 10 IMG_0568
Phase 2 Mud sucks, I'm going racing! - Page 10 IMG_0569
Back to top Go down
MonsterS10
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
MonsterS10

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2009-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Phase 2 Mud sucks, I'm going racing!   Phase 2 Mud sucks, I'm going racing! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 8:18 am

It looks pretty good did you put lights on it for the race
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Phase 2 Mud sucks, I'm going racing!   Phase 2 Mud sucks, I'm going racing! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 10:49 am

MonsterS10 wrote:
It looks pretty good did you put lights on it for the race

no. Lights are not required, not listed in the rules. I will wire some up after this race is past.
Back to top Go down
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male

PostSubject: Re: Phase 2 Mud sucks, I'm going racing!   Phase 2 Mud sucks, I'm going racing! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 11:35 am

I thought you had to have rear amber light
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Phase 2 Mud sucks, I'm going racing!   Phase 2 Mud sucks, I'm going racing! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 2:27 pm

rockdw72 wrote:
I thought you had to have rear amber light
not listed but I could strap an amber head light to the back of Nicks helmet.
Back to top Go down
Locked_N_Loaded
Admin
Admin
Locked_N_Loaded

Male
Number of posts : 1783
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Phase 2 Mud sucks, I'm going racing!   Phase 2 Mud sucks, I'm going racing! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 2:46 pm

Then i could shake my head back and forth really fast and it'd be like a disco ball or some shit Phase 2 Mud sucks, I'm going racing! - Page 10 354713
Back to top Go down
MonsterS10
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
MonsterS10

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2009-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Phase 2 Mud sucks, I'm going racing!   Phase 2 Mud sucks, I'm going racing! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 4:08 pm

Its in koh rules the guy in charge of tech said they are trying to follow their rules its not in rc races rules
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Phase 2 Mud sucks, I'm going racing!   Phase 2 Mud sucks, I'm going racing! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 6:49 pm

MonsterS10 wrote:
Its in koh rules the guy in charge of tech said they are trying to follow their rules its not in rc races rules

Yeah I'm planning a lot of changes for the KOH qualifer. Lights definitely a requirement. My entire dash and wiring needs redone. sway bars etc etc. So any chance of some test driving the thursday before the race at your place?
Back to top Go down
jealos-z
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
jealos-z

Male
Number of posts : 604
Emploi : Mechanic
Registration date : 2007-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Phase 2 Mud sucks, I'm going racing!   Phase 2 Mud sucks, I'm going racing! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 9:40 pm

Bill just an offer my family owns 100acres of all logging roads bout 20mins from Chrises place you can test ther if you want very few rocks but ther are lots of paths that are rough maybe get a feel for things.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Phase 2 Mud sucks, I'm going racing!   Phase 2 Mud sucks, I'm going racing! - Page 10 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Phase 2 Mud sucks, I'm going racing!
Page 10 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next