Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

excursion and trailer problems

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671
Registration date : 2007-01-20

excursion and trailer problems Empty
PostSubject: excursion and trailer problems   excursion and trailer problems Icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 7:34 am

Tried to fix the trailer saturday since the sheet metal was rubbing the tires on the unrepaired side. Rubber was accumulating on the inside of the fender like mud. I cut off the sheet metal with the plasma and set the fender on fire(burning rubber). Then started making a fender like the one on the opposite side. Discovered I didn't have enough metal and at 11:30 pm had to take the old fender and weld it back on, set it on fire again.(love the smell of burning rubber). Had to meet in Rising sun MD to pick up the motor and drop off the tires. Got 10 miles away from this guys house 2 hrs into a 2 hr 15 min drive and suddenly the excursion got really loud. Kinda sounded like the exhaust came off the header type of loud. Pulled over immediately and discovered no exhaust leak. checked under the hood and found a spark plug laying on top of the intake manifold. WTF? Looked down in the deep hold the plug threads into and discovered the plug was blown out threads and all and left an unthreaded hole in the manifold. Drove to the guys house and made the exchange and drove it back on the other 9 cyllinders. So I need to call a shop and from the feedback I've been getting is that it needs new threads tapped heli-coil type of fix. don't know how they are going to get a tap way down there because it takes a 6" extension to reach the plug.
Back to top Go down
MonsterS10
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
MonsterS10

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2009-01-22

PostSubject: Re: excursion and trailer problems   excursion and trailer problems Icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 8:27 am

We fix them on fords all the time easiest fix is buy a chevy . The cheap way is to go to a napa store buy a helicoil kit for a spark plug should come with a tap And metal insert part number 770-3223 Heres the shitty part either do it with the head on or removed the proper way you have to lift the body off the frame to remove heads. Most people go the cheap way put grease on the tap then thread it in . After that carb clean the cyl. shop vac with pvc pipe down in the cyl. then screw in the insert with red loctite use the punch from the kit on insert check all the other spark plugs to make sure they tight
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671
Registration date : 2007-01-20

PostSubject: Re: excursion and trailer problems   excursion and trailer problems Icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 9:39 am

Thanks Chris. I'm going to order the kit to repair it and try to do it with the head in place. If it fails I'll have to remove the head which would bring the suck.
Back to top Go down
MonsterS10
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
MonsterS10

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2009-01-22

PostSubject: Re: excursion and trailer problems   excursion and trailer problems Icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 1:07 pm

I've done alot of the repairs only had a problem with one of them a dodge with a cast iron head not one problem on a ford just take your time
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: excursion and trailer problems   excursion and trailer problems Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

excursion and trailer problems
Page 1 of 1