Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

used truck mileage

Go down 
+6
Rockn93YJ
md4wheelin
makitupthehardway
88blazeron40s
MYYJROX
rockdw72
10 posters
AuthorMessage
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male
Number of posts : 1243
Registration date : 2007-01-20

used truck mileage  Empty
PostSubject: used truck mileage    used truck mileage  Icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 12:00 pm

How much do you think is to much. Looking at a few that are in really good shape but have 200,000 plus. This is for a 7.3 btw.
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
MYYJROX
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
MYYJROX

Female
Number of posts : 738
Registration date : 2007-01-19

PostSubject: Re: used truck mileage    used truck mileage  Icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 12:37 pm

I'll put up a number just so people will have something to disagree with.....I say 150,000
Back to top Go down
88blazeron40s
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
88blazeron40s

Male
Number of posts : 280
Emploi : EDMS
Registration date : 2010-05-05

PostSubject: Re: used truck mileage    used truck mileage  Icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 2:22 pm

its a diesel so 200k isnt that much if you know the service records and who it came from but if you dont know anything about the truck i would say 100k
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558

PostSubject: Re: used truck mileage    used truck mileage  Icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 2:34 pm

For a 7.3 with 200K is still a strong motor. That is if it has been taken care. At 200K in a Diesel I would worry about the motor last. Its all the other stuff you need to think about. There are tons of moving parts and with that many miles most of them have lived there full life. Unless they have been changed before that point. On a personal level are you willing to deal with the savings of a high milage truck that might need new parts and time invested?
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male
Number of posts : 1875

PostSubject: Re: used truck mileage    used truck mileage  Icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 5:19 pm

X2, it will cost you more in the long run with down time and repairs. Unless the truck will mostly sit I would stay in the 150xxx range.

A new motor will run you around 4 to 5 grand if something blows
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671

PostSubject: Re: used truck mileage    used truck mileage  Icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 7:43 pm

Just to tow with a 1-2 weekends a month? 200k isn't too much if the service is good AND the price is right.
Back to top Go down
big94GMC
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
big94GMC

Male
Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2010-04-26

PostSubject: Re: used truck mileage    used truck mileage  Icon_minitimeWed Feb 09, 2011 12:44 am

Keep in mind, even though the engine may have alot of life left in it at 200k miles (supposing it's relatively stock, hasn't been abused, and has been decently maintained), it's the REST of the truck that I'd be concerned about.... Worn out suspension and drivetrain parts, worn out interior parts and gadgets, etc etc. Most diesels are holding high resale value, so if you're gonna be dropping alot of coin on a used truck, look at EVERYTHING and make sure you're getting your money's worth.
Back to top Go down
http://www.virginiakrawlers.com/forums/index.php
Locked_N_Loaded
Admin
Admin
Locked_N_Loaded

Male
Number of posts : 1783
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: used truck mileage    used truck mileage  Icon_minitimeWed Feb 09, 2011 12:53 pm

A customer of mine has a fleet of Fords and has been dealing with them for years. He said the 7.3s are a bitch to find because people little keep them till they kill them. He said at 300k they call for a complete motor rebuild. 100k miles is a lot of life.
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male

PostSubject: Re: used truck mileage    used truck mileage  Icon_minitimeWed Feb 09, 2011 10:08 pm

Would you buy a v8 or v10 with 200xxx on the ticker? Even with a swapped motor there is still a shit ton of maitnence and repairs that need to be done. Let me name a few, on the motor the injectors are probably shot at $200 a piece, alternator,and various sensors and pumps through out the fuel delivery system. Now what about the transmission? Also various joints and bearings through out the drive line will have to be addressed at some point. Again things to look at, if you can find one that has had alot of these issues addressed go for it. But 9 times out of ten people are getting rid of the truck at 200k because the repairs are getting to be more then the truck is worth.
Back to top Go down
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male
Number of posts : 1243

PostSubject: Re: used truck mileage    used truck mileage  Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 5:14 pm

I agree with all of this. I have just have been finding trash with low mileage but cherry trucks with high mileage. I found one i really liked with high mileage and needed people to talk me out of it
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: used truck mileage    used truck mileage  Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 5:34 pm

there is a truck sales place in VA that Nester told me about. they bring the good west coast rigs back for sale here.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: used truck mileage    used truck mileage  Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 5:52 pm

http://www.handpickedtrucks.com/diesel-pickup-trucks-for-sale.html
Back to top Go down
big94GMC
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
big94GMC

Male
Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2010-04-26

PostSubject: Re: used truck mileage    used truck mileage  Icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2011 12:43 am

I was gonna suggest them down there, but it is a ways from ya.

Oh, and the trucks there are on the pricey side. Good, clean trucks, though.
Back to top Go down
http://www.virginiakrawlers.com/forums/index.php
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male

PostSubject: Re: used truck mileage    used truck mileage  Icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2011 10:26 am

thats odd they dont list miles scratch
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: used truck mileage    used truck mileage  Icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2011 11:10 am

They have the mileage in the pictures of the odometer.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558

PostSubject: Re: used truck mileage    used truck mileage  Icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2011 6:46 pm

Yeah he doesn't bother listing the miles cause the picture speaks for themselves. Yeah the trucks are pricey but for guys that want a cherry clean truck you pay the finders fee. Plus a trip to VA to pick up a truck VS going to Texas (chris) saves you time, fuel, plane tickets, food and hotel stays.
Back to top Go down
Eskimo
LS/Locker
LS/Locker
Eskimo

Male
Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2009-10-20

PostSubject: Re: used truck mileage    used truck mileage  Icon_minitimeSat Feb 12, 2011 12:00 pm

As was said.. it's the rest of the truck. I bought my '98 Dodge with 210k on the ODO, and sold it with 300k. Other than fixing a few oil leaks and some routine maintenance, the engine needed nothing. The rest of the truck..

unit bearing hubs
ball joints
track bars (ended up replacing with a custom piece)
shocks
alternator
control arm bushings
interior parts (Seats were just worn out - PO was a 300+lb dude)
transmissions x2
etc.. etc..

And that was with the PO giving me records of AC servicing, bearings & ball joints were replaced already..
Back to top Go down
connordanny
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
connordanny

Male
Number of posts : 695

PostSubject: Re: used truck mileage    used truck mileage  Icon_minitimeSun Feb 13, 2011 12:18 pm

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/ctd/2210652349.html

Hey Matt,

I found this one on Craigslist. Its in Glen Burnie.
I don't know if its a good deal or not, but its only got 125k miles on it
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: used truck mileage    used truck mileage  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

used truck mileage
Page 1 of 1