Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

PolyShields??

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Locked_N_Loaded
Admin
Admin
Locked_N_Loaded

Male
Number of posts : 1783
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PolyShields?? Empty
PostSubject: PolyShields??   PolyShields?? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2007 9:12 pm

Well I have to replace the damn windshield in my Jeep and it's been cracked and starred in places for a long time. I'm tempted to try this polyshield, however, last I checked it wasn't DOT approved. The reason from what I am told is because if you're in an accident and trapped in the vehicle it cannot be broken to rescue injured occupants. On the site it says on the FAQ that to their knowledge they're legal but to check on local/state laws. To be honest I'm not real concerned with the DOT approval but I have a hard time believing its "scratch resistance". Any experience or knowledge on this would be appreciated. Until then I'm gonna keep driving with my smashed windshield...i have much better things to spend money on king

http://www.polyshields.com

And the second link is their parent company for Jeeps.

http://www.roadlessgear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?page=RGJ/PROD/A/RG130

The websites and advertising are pretty lame. Something tells me it's the same old crap with an attempt at some marketing.
Back to top Go down
mdcj7
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
mdcj7

Male
Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2007-01-19

PolyShields?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: PolyShields??   PolyShields?? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2007 9:35 pm

I got glass cheaper than that and they put it in.
Back to top Go down
Locked_N_Loaded
Admin
Admin
Locked_N_Loaded

Male

PolyShields?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: PolyShields??   PolyShields?? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2007 11:24 pm

Well yah...I can get glass installed for around $125 but i'm tired of cracking them so I'm exploring this route. Before this tree I had a crack on the passenger side from the top corner and diagonally down about halfway down the windshield that I just learned to ignore. There were also like 3 stars from little cinders or what not as well. I guess in the end it's rare to get a fatal blow to your windshield on the trail or even something enough to bother me enough to replace it. However, with my luck after replacing the glass I'll end up cracking it leaning on a tree or something the first outing after its replacement.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671
Registration date : 2007-01-20

PolyShields?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: PolyShields??   PolyShields?? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2007 8:51 am

I don't t think the "rescue" theory is correct as the windshield will shatter into very small pieces when broken but their is a layer of material on the glass to keep it together and preventing broken pieces of glass from injuring the occupants. any rescues through the windshield happen after they pull the windshield out of the frame. With any poly windshield I would be concerned about it breaking into large pieces and becoming potentially lethal shards in the event of a rollover. This is just an educated guess and I haven't read the web site yet.

Honestly I would buy glass again and just try to avoid the trees.
Back to top Go down
Locked_N_Loaded
Admin
Admin
Locked_N_Loaded

Male

PolyShields?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: PolyShields??   PolyShields?? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2007 12:52 pm

Like I said Bill, I have no idea about the rescue theory, just something I've heard. I will more than likely put glass back in but it was just something I was curious about for years. Like I said, it's not common to get a fatal blow to your windshield, just your little cracks and stuff here and there or stars spreading.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558

PolyShields?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: PolyShields??   PolyShields?? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2007 12:18 am

Yeah I have to replace mine in the next year as well. I think its a cool idea but will end up going with glass and hoping that it goes at least a year without cracking but I have the same luck with windsheilds in my vans. I get it replaced to pass inspection and the next week I get stuck behind the dump truck on the beltway. 5 you can't win.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558

PolyShields?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: PolyShields??   PolyShields?? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2007 12:18 am

Yeah I have to replace mine in the next year as well. I think its a cool idea but will end up going with glass and hoping that it goes at least a year without cracking but I have the same luck with windsheilds in my vans. I get it replaced to pass inspection and the next week I get stuck behind the dump truck on the beltway. 5 you can't win.
Back to top Go down
projblacknblue
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
projblacknblue

Male
Number of posts : 297
Registration date : 2007-01-20

PolyShields?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: PolyShields??   PolyShields?? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2007 5:58 pm

I can not speak for this plexi, but from YEARS of extensive use of all sorts of plastics in the arcade industry I can say with certainty that NOTHING plastic will resist scratches...

They might be small enough to not see by eye, but as soon as the light hits it, the glare is intense.

Don't forget about other factors that will happen when we wheel... dust on the trails, mud... all that good stuff...

In my business we NOVUS everything, but after awhile even that starts to leave swirls in the light, and it has to be replaced...

We run everything from polycarbonate (extremely flexible, extremely hard to break, but scratches easily) to acrylic (some as thick as 3/4" which is almost bullet proof, tough to scratch, but gets brittle over time and shatters if stressed to much).

Just my 2 cents for the day.
Back to top Go down
http://photos.yahoo.com/prophoto26
Locked_N_Loaded
Admin
Admin
Locked_N_Loaded

Male

PolyShields?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: PolyShields??   PolyShields?? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2007 6:12 pm

Sweet...that's the kind of information I was looking for!! I can just imagine the scratches. It might take a couple years but it would also take a couple of years with glass. Thanks a lot!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PolyShields?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: PolyShields??   PolyShields?? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

PolyShields??
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Free At Last :: General 4x4 discussion-
Jump to: