Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

Shiftin' Willys

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Twisted Willys
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
Twisted Willys

Male
Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2007-06-10

Shiftin' Willys Empty
PostSubject: Shiftin' Willys   Shiftin' Willys Icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2007 9:06 pm

Ok, Nearly $2000.00 into this repair, I finally received my trans. yesterday about 5:00. Installed it and the transfer case to find out the starter I planned on using wouldn't work, and the yoke you get when using a JB Conv. SYE does not alow me to use my normal straps or U-bolts. I'm not sure why it's made a little different, but it is. I finally found some U-bolts that would work in a junk pile at work. (after 6 trips to various auto parts stores). After two more trips to the auto parts stores the starter problem was fixed by building 1 from 2 different starters. Oddly enough the end product turned out to be an exact match for a '71 6cyl. Impala. After some minor stresses from cooler line fittings, TV cable issues, moving some plumbing and wires I'm finally ready for a test run up the alley. Very dissapointing. Just not cool. I played around with the cable, swapped out the governer for a dif. style, still not cool. Very pissed I called trans. rebuilder and he was stumped. Said it should be fine!? After about an hour of tryin' to fix it over the phone he finally asked the proper question, " Are you in low range?" No I told him. He said " try that dumb ass! ". Turns out he was smart enough to know what I use this for and built it accordingly! Dropped it in low and up the road I went! Actually shifted great! Very quick shifts yet no banging, Barks the gummy swampers shifting into second at 1/4 throttle (wich seems stange at about 5mph). It's like a slow motion drag race, weird. For high range I have to manual shift unless im just puttin' around, and all is well.
So in the end, For the 2 grand I ended up with a 4spd 800hp rated trans. ( I only have about 190hp), a 241c with extra wide gears and chain, a SYE, 2 new driveshafts, new sheilds, new exhaust mod.s, alot of work and more stress than one should have over a vehicle. Still workin' on some small things that dont worry me.
All of this condensed means if I can save the gas money for the tow rig, I should make the Creature Crawl!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/DLLME
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Shiftin' Willys Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shiftin' Willys   Shiftin' Willys Icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2007 10:17 am

Great to hear you've got it nearly together. Creature Crawl? The next big trip is the Crawl for the Cure on Oct 20,21. sat night there will be a bonfire you don't want to miss. sunday is more trail riding and at 10 in the morning is a practice session for those that will be competing in the Rausch Creek Rock Crawling Competition. I will be attending the practice session on sunday. I am competing in the unlimited class in Randy Woods Bronco. I will not be competing as a Maryland Rock Raider but as a member of Team Adventurous 4x4. (its an advertising thing) By the way if you need any help with the truck let me know. Not that I can add anything to your vast knowledge but an extra set of hands is sometimes nice and I can come up on tues/thurs.
Back to top Go down
Twisted Willys
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
Twisted Willys

Male
Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2007-06-10

Shiftin' Willys Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shiftin' Willys   Shiftin' Willys Icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2007 4:51 pm

First of all, thanks for the compliment about knowledge (may be somewhat undeserved). I'm gonna be pushing it to make the following weekend muck less that weekend. I took it out for a test run on some boulders this morning. Broke a u-joit. Ran over some guys sign for his business I didn't know he had on the other side. Damn urban Crawling. That'll happen. Yes, I stopped by and told him I owed him a new sign. He laughed. Guess thats why its good to walk the trail first. Everything else seems good to go. I think I'm down to just the shielding now. Thats this weeks project.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/DLLME
Sponsored content

Shiftin' Willys Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shiftin' Willys   Shiftin' Willys Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Shiftin' Willys
Page 1 of 1