Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

select-traK?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Allium
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Allium

Male
Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2007-04-06

select-traK? Empty
PostSubject: select-traK?   select-traK? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 20, 2007 7:01 pm

was looking at a 96 cherokee on line that said it has full time 4wd. I did searching and figured that maybe its Selec-Trac. Not sure how that works as 4wd. I'm used to the 4wd of the wrangler - high and low. How does that work and can it run the trails?
Back to top Go down
sk96xjjeeper
Open/Open
Open/Open

Male
Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2007-04-28

select-traK? Empty
PostSubject: Re: select-traK?   select-traK? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 21, 2007 5:05 am

Full-time four-wheel drive high-range (4 FULL TIME): In this position, the centre differential splits the power, sending 48 percent to the front axle, and 52 percent to the rear. The transfer case may be left in this position on any road surface - including dry, paved roads
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558
Registration date : 2007-01-19

select-traK? Empty
PostSubject: Re: select-traK?   select-traK? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2007 8:57 am

Gill I would stay away from them. Its a great option if you leave it stock cause the Jeep will drive great in the rain and snow. Its a all wheel drive system for the most part. The down side is they dont like lift kits and mods and the T-case isn't strong. Jeep has a couple of different systems that they have had over the years. Many guys with ZJ's and WJ's swap in NP231 (wrangler T-case) to replace the Select-trac or the quadradrive system that they came with. JP had a good artical this past month on the swap.

Are you in the market for another jeep? if so what are you looking for in the next jeep?
Back to top Go down
Allium
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Allium

Male

select-traK? Empty
PostSubject: Re: select-traK?   select-traK? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2007 9:16 am

I've been half watching ebay and craigs for a cheap cherokee. After seeing Nestor's cherokee it sounded like a good idea to get something a little bigger and enclosed in case wife wanted to go in the less than optimal weather. And Ive seen a few real cheap. It would be something to putt to work and put a small lift on for blue trails. Don't think I'd do anything harder than that with it. It would free me up as a backup for my jeep which is may daily - if i bump that I'd have a backup with the cherokee.

Mostly so far I've been out bid on my threshhold which is real cheap!
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

select-traK? Empty
PostSubject: Re: select-traK?   select-traK? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2007 9:25 am

Keep a eye on craigslist and ebay. Xj's go cheap if you keep a eye out for them. Buy something 91 and newer even better if its a 5 speed. What ever you find dont hold up on asking questions. Good luck with your search.
Back to top Go down
Allium
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Allium

Male

select-traK? Empty
PostSubject: Re: select-traK?   select-traK? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2007 9:59 am

Cool- Thanks. I just got outbid on a 96 grand. Oh well. Mainly I need an automatic (they tried teaching me to drive a stick in the army but I flipped a 250 lb sarge out the back popping the clutch. Needless to say that ended my military liscence). I'm looking to keep it to a 8 cylinder and under 120K miles but since its a thought and I'm cheap ...

Really like those 2 door regular cherokees though.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

select-traK? Empty
PostSubject: Re: select-traK?   select-traK? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2007 10:15 am

Allium wrote:
Really like those 2 door regular cherokees though.

x2 look sweet with a lift and 33's
Back to top Go down
Allium
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Allium

Male

select-traK? Empty
PostSubject: Re: select-traK?   select-traK? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2007 10:40 am

"x2 look sweet with a lift and 33's"

Bingo - ultimately that's what I would want but I've got champagne tastes on a budweiser budget!
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

select-traK? Empty
PostSubject: Re: select-traK?   select-traK? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2007 11:17 am

Your not alone
Back to top Go down
sk96xjjeeper
Open/Open
Open/Open

Male
Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2007-04-28

select-traK? Empty
PostSubject: Re: select-traK?   select-traK? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2007 7:12 pm

if you need any help let me know i love the xj's i just sold my 96 and am now looking for a 97 or newer i did all my own work and know alot about them this is a pic of my last xj at coca cola

select-traK? Jeepoffroad011
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

select-traK? Empty
PostSubject: Re: select-traK?   select-traK? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

select-traK?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Free At Last :: General 4x4 discussion-
Jump to: