Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

helping a friend

Go down 
+6
Locked_N_Loaded
The Devil Dog
makitupthehardway
UPNOVER
md4wheelin
mdcj7
10 posters
AuthorMessage
mdcj7
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
mdcj7

Male
Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2007-01-19

helping a friend Empty
PostSubject: helping a friend   helping a friend Icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2007 7:06 pm

I know we have done this before put two tow straps together with a shackle
http://www.offroaders.com/tech/Recovery-Strap-Accident.htm
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male
Number of posts : 1875
Registration date : 2007-01-20

helping a friend Empty
PostSubject: Re: helping a friend   helping a friend Icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2007 7:49 pm

I know how that is, I have on tape a jeep front tow hook breaking and going through a suburban. The driver lucked out by 6".
Back to top Go down
UPNOVER
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
UPNOVER

Male
Number of posts : 856

helping a friend Empty
PostSubject: Re: helping a friend   helping a friend Icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2007 9:18 pm

We all need to use the winch's we spend all the money for instead of using the tow straps and yanking.. We have done it in the last two trips we have been on. We are always in a rush and one of us are going to get hurt..

Thanks for sharing that...
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558

helping a friend Empty
PostSubject: Re: helping a friend   helping a friend Icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2007 10:18 pm

I heard that story some years ago. Or something just like it. Maybe its time for a winching 101 class for all the newbies in the club.
Back to top Go down
UPNOVER
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
UPNOVER

Male
Number of posts : 856

helping a friend Empty
PostSubject: Re: helping a friend   helping a friend Icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2007 10:49 pm

That wouldnt be a bad idea.. I am sure everyone will learn something..

I watched Nick hook up Greg last week and Nick did have a tree saver and also a weight for the metal winch line... Ryan used something over your line when you where pulling Paul also... Great job guys..
Back to top Go down
The Devil Dog
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
The Devil Dog

Male
Number of posts : 1306
Emploi : New Suzuki and Used Car Sales

helping a friend Empty
PostSubject: Re: helping a friend   helping a friend Icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2007 12:41 am

mdcj7 wrote:
I know we have done this before put two tow straps together with a shackle
http://www.offroaders.com/tech/Recovery-Strap-Accident.htm
to my knowledge and while on my watch we have not used two tow straps held together by a D-ring, we have tied them togther , but not with the used of the d-ring. That would be like useing the straps with the hooks.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/tico_mrr
The Devil Dog
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
The Devil Dog

Male

helping a friend Empty
PostSubject: Re: helping a friend   helping a friend Icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2007 12:46 am

A class may be needed in deed.
Back to top Go down
Locked_N_Loaded
Admin
Admin
Locked_N_Loaded

Male
Number of posts : 1783
Registration date : 2007-02-09

helping a friend Empty
PostSubject: Re: helping a friend   helping a friend Icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2007 12:52 am

I don't like strapping unless it's an easy little tug (not to say accidents happen there either) but it's really enough to piss you and everybody around you off when you snap an axle shaft or ujoint because you didn't feel like unspooling to winch and thought you could get a run in your wrangler with 35"s on a dana35 to pull out your buddy sunk to his frame in mud.

How about in ulimate adventure with the dudes entire front bumper ripping off while winching. That'd be something to see.

http://www.warn.com/corporate/images/90/TechGuide_PN62885-A2.pdf

Just curious about this hookup technique though. I ended up browsing through warn's winching techniques looking for parts one day and this caught my eye.

helping a friend Http--10

I normally just use the hook and just never thought or taught to do it the way they show in the picture. I guess there isn't much benefit other than it should prolly stay together better until getting the slack out.
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male
Number of posts : 1875

helping a friend Empty
PostSubject: Re: helping a friend   helping a friend Icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2007 8:35 am

straps are fine as long as you use them with some common sense. Its when you begin to jerk tug them when things begin to go wrong.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671

helping a friend Empty
PostSubject: Re: helping a friend   helping a friend Icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2007 8:54 am

I have seen twice in the last few years incidents that could have ended badly. first I witness a vehicle being winched uphill with the cable doubled back to a tow hook on the front bumper that was attached to the vehicle with a single bolt. Also saw during a guided ride someone was being pulled up a steep hill by winch. when that didn't work they hooked a strap to the bumper and tried to pull it up, when that didn't work they hooked two vehicles to it by straps on the front bumper and tried to pull it up. Still didn't work so they were going to bump it up by having both jeeps yank it up. I moved the kids and others away from the line of fire and got out of the way. Sure enough they yanked and the bumper came off and flew threw the air over the top of the two jeeps and landed where people were previously gathered to watch. Evidently the old CJ didn't have all the bolts secure and the ones that were secure were through a rusted frame. Gotta make sure that what you are hooking to is secure to handle the load as well as proper rigging. We mentioned about a safety class before and it didn't materialize. Probably the least intrusive way to do this is while wheeling. If a recovery situation materializes then we should gather and have a miniclass. Or just pick a day when you have a good showing and go get stuck for a recovery lesson. Dump a jeep in the 5' pit if you have to, or better yet just wait for someone to go by with a big ego and small tires and talke them into it.lol!
Back to top Go down
Locked_N_Loaded
Admin
Admin
Locked_N_Loaded

Male

helping a friend Empty
PostSubject: Re: helping a friend   helping a friend Icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2007 10:57 am

Another good safety move is putting up the hood while winching. You don't see this done often and I might have done it once or twice if I was winching from a stationary position. I don't do it when I'm winching myself since I kind of like to see where I'm going. I guess a cable weight should drop the cable but the hood would do a good job of saving your dome from flying hooks and whatever else decides it wants to try and kill you.
Back to top Go down
The Devil Dog
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
The Devil Dog

Male

helping a friend Empty
PostSubject: Re: helping a friend   helping a friend Icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2007 11:36 am

gentelman, all this information has been refreshing and welcomed. I am sure that by the chatting alone some of us have learn some lessons already, I for one like the idea to use the loop on the wire end where the hook is at for better safety, and Bill has first hand knowledge or a double reverse pull when your hung in the front and sliding off the side, right Bill?

I agree, a class is well over due, but is also beneficial to see it in action at the trails. There is so much we can do to teach new members, we just have to slow down a little rather than run the whole park in one shot. Good points from everyone that provided input. Nick that was a great link on the manual for winching, good stuff there.
Back to top Go down
Allium
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Allium

Male
Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2007-04-06

helping a friend Empty
PostSubject: Re: helping a friend   helping a friend Icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2007 12:45 pm

Thinking on the couple rides I've been on - Lunch time at lake Kristy has a few good spots to learn/teach at as long as theres not a group going full tilt through there
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671

helping a friend Empty
PostSubject: Re: helping a friend   helping a friend Icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2007 1:21 pm

The Devil Dog wrote:
and Bill has first hand knowledge or a double reverse pull when your hung in the front and sliding off the side, right Bill?

...we just have to slow down a little rather than run the whole park in one shot. .

yeah double reverse also works well when drinking and trying to catch up with everyone. king Winching? I don't need no stinkin winch.rabbit
Back to top Go down
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male
Number of posts : 1243

helping a friend Empty
PostSubject: Re: helping a friend   helping a friend Icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2007 1:40 pm

I am not going to be the one that flips on purpose so you guys can practice winching. well not again
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
Locked_N_Loaded
Admin
Admin
Locked_N_Loaded

Male

helping a friend Empty
PostSubject: Re: helping a friend   helping a friend Icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2007 1:50 pm

Damn...you were the first person that popped into my mind too. Maybe I'll do it before I replace my windshield. driving2
Back to top Go down
Chris Taylor
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Chris Taylor

Male
Number of posts : 359
Registration date : 2007-02-07

helping a friend Empty
PostSubject: Re: helping a friend   helping a friend Icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2007 3:43 pm

Synthetic line does not need a weight from what I have heard but it seem like a good idea anyway.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558

helping a friend Empty
PostSubject: Re: helping a friend   helping a friend Icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2007 3:47 pm

Chris Taylor wrote:
Synthetic line does not need a weight from what I have heard but it seem like a good idea anyway.

Correct but still if there is a D-ring or snatch block on the other end its just as dangerous if its not the line that snaps.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

helping a friend Empty
PostSubject: Re: helping a friend   helping a friend Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

helping a friend
Page 1 of 1