Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

HELP! SOA on CJ7 in EDGEWOOD!

Go down 
+5
timberwolf
Chris Taylor
SLeach
el_flasko
Dirt Diggler
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Dirt Diggler
Open/Open
Open/Open
Dirt Diggler

Male
Number of posts : 9
Emploi : US Army
Registration date : 2007-11-09

HELP!  SOA on CJ7 in EDGEWOOD! Empty
PostSubject: HELP! SOA on CJ7 in EDGEWOOD!   HELP!  SOA on CJ7 in EDGEWOOD! Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2007 12:40 am

Ok so I am in need of some help here. I am new to the Baltimore area (Edgewood) and I don't know any other off-road enthusiasts and have JUST submitted my application to join the "Rock Raiders". I am attempting to do a SOA but am wary of what my happen with this being my first attempt.

I am looking for ANYONE who may want to undertake this with me as a project.

I have a 85 CJ7 with a 4" pro comp lift, 2" shackels, 3" body lift and running 33x12.50 Baja Claws. What all do I need to do to make a SOA work and are there any good websites for people that HAVE done it.

In addition does anyone know where to get an "eye to eye" convertor for shocks (i.e. Rancho RS9000XL).

And LASTLY does anyone know a round about figure of cost or basic component list or if I were to take it to a shop to have this done. One place told me an ABSURD $4,000!!!

Thanks,

Matt McCloy
US ARMY
Back to top Go down
Dirt Diggler
Open/Open
Open/Open
Dirt Diggler

Male

PostSubject: This is the CJ7   HELP!  SOA on CJ7 in EDGEWOOD! Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2007 12:46 am

HELP!  SOA on CJ7 in EDGEWOOD! 18949410
Back to top Go down
el_flasko
LS/Locker
LS/Locker
el_flasko

Male
Number of posts : 53
Emploi : Resident Mortgage Guy
Registration date : 2007-11-07

PostSubject: Re: HELP! SOA on CJ7 in EDGEWOOD!   HELP!  SOA on CJ7 in EDGEWOOD! Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2007 12:50 am

Matt, couple thoughts. If you have 4" springs, 2" shackles and 3" bl, you're already at 9" of lift if you kept the thing sua. Going SOA is going to put you up another 4-5" (roughly). If you're planning on sticking with 33's for a while, might want to stay sua for now...that's MORE than enough lift without going SOA. (a good bit too much imho)

I did a SOA on my YJ with 1.5" springs, no body lift, and maybe 3/8" lift on the shackles I used and I have MORE than enough room for 36" tires...

Bad pics, but you can see the clearance...
HELP!  SOA on CJ7 in EDGEWOOD! E7791cbe

HELP!  SOA on CJ7 in EDGEWOOD! E7791af6

Are you planning for different axles, tires etc...little more detail will help others advise ya 7
Back to top Go down
Dirt Diggler
Open/Open
Open/Open
Dirt Diggler

Male

PostSubject: Re: HELP! SOA on CJ7 in EDGEWOOD!   HELP!  SOA on CJ7 in EDGEWOOD! Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2007 1:05 am

Thanks, nice jeep.

Yeah I have D44 front and rear with a 283 small block. I want to get rid of the body in doing the soa. I am looking into getting some 38 boggers/baja claws.

With all that said I think really all I have to do is get a traction link bar and some new perches and flip the springs. My only real concern (I think, better yet hope) is the rear pinion angle and dropping the transfer case.
Back to top Go down
el_flasko
LS/Locker
LS/Locker
el_flasko

Male

PostSubject: Re: HELP! SOA on CJ7 in EDGEWOOD!   HELP!  SOA on CJ7 in EDGEWOOD! Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2007 1:13 am

Agreed on pinion angle, but also consider steering angles, and DS angles...I assume you have a SYE or will be doing one for the rear?
Back to top Go down
Dirt Diggler
Open/Open
Open/Open
Dirt Diggler

Male

PostSubject: SOA   HELP!  SOA on CJ7 in EDGEWOOD! Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2007 1:26 am

Yes I have a SYE already but I am planning on only using traction bar and a larger perch to prevent leaf wrap. You know of any shops around here that aren't outrageous?? I could do it at the MWR (on post at APG) but that place doesn't offer half the stuff needed.

So is this a pretty good club for around here? I am from Ga and all we did growing up was trail rides, crawling, and mudding.
Back to top Go down
Dirt Diggler
Open/Open
Open/Open
Dirt Diggler

Male

PostSubject: Re: HELP! SOA on CJ7 in EDGEWOOD!   HELP!  SOA on CJ7 in EDGEWOOD! Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2007 1:28 am

And for steering I am guessing your talking about the driveshaft linkage (??). Which I will have to extend and I am not sure if I should fabricate it or buy a whole new CV.
Back to top Go down
SLeach
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
SLeach

Male
Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2007-01-20

PostSubject: Re: HELP! SOA on CJ7 in EDGEWOOD!   HELP!  SOA on CJ7 in EDGEWOOD! Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2007 3:01 am

look up jeep forum.com
i know under the yj section there is a thread dedicated to soa
while its not for a cj it may tell you what you are getting into
Back to top Go down
Chris Taylor
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Chris Taylor

Male
Number of posts : 359
Registration date : 2007-02-07

PostSubject: Re: HELP! SOA on CJ7 in EDGEWOOD!   HELP!  SOA on CJ7 in EDGEWOOD! Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2007 10:30 am

I'm in BelAir and could help. Never done one but I can turn a wrench.
Back to top Go down
timberwolf
LS/Locker
LS/Locker
timberwolf

Male
Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2007-11-02

PostSubject: Re: HELP! SOA on CJ7 in EDGEWOOD!   HELP!  SOA on CJ7 in EDGEWOOD! Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2007 11:10 am

Dirt Diggler wrote:
Ok so I am in need of some help here. I am new to the Baltimore area (Edgewood) and I don't know any other off-road enthusiasts and have JUST submitted my application to join the "Rock Raiders". I am attempting to do a SOA but am wary of what my happen with this being my first attempt.

I am looking for ANYONE who may want to undertake this with me as a project.

I have a 85 CJ7 with a 4" pro comp lift, 2" shackels, 3" body lift and running 33x12.50 Baja Claws. What all do I need to do to make a SOA work and are there any good websites for people that HAVE done it.

In addition does anyone know where to get an "eye to eye" convertor for shocks (i.e. Rancho RS9000XL).

And LASTLY does anyone know a round about figure of cost or basic component list or if I were to take it to a shop to have this done. One place told me an ABSURD $4,000!!!

Thanks,

Matt McCloy
US ARMY

matt,

with your current set up i wouldnt go adding spring over for safety sake. it would end up way too tall. your center of gravity would be too high and would bee too easy to roll over. now what you could do to go soa is buy like 2 inch springs and maybe 1 inch shackles. my recommendation is stick with what you have. looks good and you should have the room for larger than 33's tires.

fyi... try this website www.cjoffroad.com its packed with nothing but cj info. i found it very useful for my cj...

HELP!  SOA on CJ7 in EDGEWOOD! Nearfi10
Back to top Go down
UPNOVER
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
UPNOVER

Male
Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2007-01-19

PostSubject: Re: HELP! SOA on CJ7 in EDGEWOOD!   HELP!  SOA on CJ7 in EDGEWOOD! Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2007 11:41 am

You are definitely going to have to consider the height you will have once the SOA is in place with your current set up. Off camber situations and hill climbs will be quite hairy. Take a look on Pirate4x4.com and spend some time searching around.

I am in Joppatowne within a few miles from you and can always help in what ever direction you decide to go.

As far as shops there is The Custom Shop in Aberdeen but I dont know their labor rate. You also have Appalachian Offroad that is in Westminister which is about 45 minutes and I have heard good things about their service. There are a few others but most guys on here do their own work or work together.

I am sure if you decide to tackle it we can get a work party going..

Matt
Back to top Go down
mdcj7
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
mdcj7

Male
Number of posts : 438

PostSubject: Re: HELP! SOA on CJ7 in EDGEWOOD!   HELP!  SOA on CJ7 in EDGEWOOD! Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2007 11:44 am

I would ditch the 3" BL and go with a daystar 1" BL stick with the SUA and run 36" tires. the SOA can open another set other problems. and your dana 44 will break with 38" tire and your 283. this is just my opiion and I have problems keeping my jeep running right. other than that Nice CJ glad to have another CJ on the board. check out this site http://jeepsunlimited.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36
Back to top Go down
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male
Number of posts : 1243

PostSubject: Re: HELP! SOA on CJ7 in EDGEWOOD!   HELP!  SOA on CJ7 in EDGEWOOD! Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2007 2:19 pm

what type of wheeling do you do. If I were doing 38's I would streatch it. Matt mentioned about steering because with a soa you will have a problem with the drag link getting into the springs. most people fix this problem by mounting the drag link on top of the knuckle. For this you would need flat to knucles. By doing this it will also help out your bump steer and you can mount your tierod there too to keep it out of the rocks
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
Dirt Diggler
Open/Open
Open/Open
Dirt Diggler

Male

PostSubject: Wheelin   HELP!  SOA on CJ7 in EDGEWOOD! Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2007 2:51 pm

The CJ I mostly use just for mudding, light trail rides, and a daily driver. I live 2 minutes outside the back gate of APG so comfort on the road isnt important. For the trail I have an old XJ on 34x10.5.

Thanks all for your imput and help.
Back to top Go down
timberwolf
LS/Locker
LS/Locker
timberwolf

Male

PostSubject: Re: HELP! SOA on CJ7 in EDGEWOOD!   HELP!  SOA on CJ7 in EDGEWOOD! Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2007 6:14 pm

as for shops, you can also try Adams Jeep in aberdeen... don and the crew can hook ya up.
Back to top Go down
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male

PostSubject: Re: HELP! SOA on CJ7 in EDGEWOOD!   HELP!  SOA on CJ7 in EDGEWOOD! Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2007 6:25 pm

do they do soa's I just figured they would just do bolt on stuff
Back to top Go down
timberwolf
LS/Locker
LS/Locker
timberwolf

Male

PostSubject: Re: HELP! SOA on CJ7 in EDGEWOOD!   HELP!  SOA on CJ7 in EDGEWOOD! Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2007 7:13 pm

im pretty sure they can do SOA... ive seen a few done when i used to work there. i know they have done long arm lifts in the past as well as some Fabrication work. John in service would be the guy to ask if you go up there. Don in parts can hook ya up.
Back to top Go down
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male

PostSubject: Re: HELP! SOA on CJ7 in EDGEWOOD!   HELP!  SOA on CJ7 in EDGEWOOD! Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2007 7:20 pm

most long arm kits are bolt on. I went there once to see if thery had any johnny joints and they looked a me like I had two heads. I did see they had some custom bumbers in the show room that looked to be done well
Back to top Go down
timberwolf
LS/Locker
LS/Locker
timberwolf

Male

PostSubject: Re: HELP! SOA on CJ7 in EDGEWOOD!   HELP!  SOA on CJ7 in EDGEWOOD! Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2007 7:36 pm

rockdw72 wrote:
most long arm kits are bolt on.

true, but there is some cutting and welding on the frame involved also.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558

PostSubject: Re: HELP! SOA on CJ7 in EDGEWOOD!   HELP!  SOA on CJ7 in EDGEWOOD! Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2007 12:14 am

Dont go to adams jeep. everyone says there work is not the best and they are over priced. On the CJ I would stay with the SUA and look in to a 5 inch lift it. I know that BDS makes a good one for YJ's and Rubicon express makes good kits too. If you do go SOA you will have to think about what springs to run and want your driveline angles need to be and have a good welder to see it all up the right way. Then there is driveshafts with the heavy angle unless your going to stretch your wheel base. If it was my jeep I would do a bolt on kit that way its easy to do yourself and you dont have to pay a shop to weld and you keep your street ablity and a nice low center of gravity on the trails. In my personal opinion SOA is a hassel. Unless your willing to set it up right which most of the time people dont think of all the parts and labor that goes in to it. Someone who has all the tools and a shop to do it there self it works great if you dont the money is saved in a nice bolt on kit. just my .02 cents
Back to top Go down
Dirt Diggler
Open/Open
Open/Open
Dirt Diggler

Male

PostSubject: Re: HELP! SOA on CJ7 in EDGEWOOD!   HELP!  SOA on CJ7 in EDGEWOOD! Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2007 1:31 am

I looked into a bolt on but none fit a D44. You know of a good place??
Back to top Go down
el_flasko
LS/Locker
LS/Locker
el_flasko

Male

PostSubject: Re: HELP! SOA on CJ7 in EDGEWOOD!   HELP!  SOA on CJ7 in EDGEWOOD! Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2007 10:52 am

If you do decide to go SOA, it's not terribly difficult to do on your own. I was LUCKY in that a guy lent me a garage with a lift in it for 2 days, and we literally finished in 2 days. The steering can be a bit tricky, but nothing too bad.

Just an opinion, and I am curious to see what rates shops are quoting you.

I have two very good friends that own 4x4 shopsin MD that will do it for you. They do a TON of work for a lot of the guys on Maryland Creepers...a few members here to I believe.

jeff@adrenalineoffroad.com 301-502-6180 Jeff is the owner and a really good guy.

OR

Appalachian Offroad Inc.
(410) 848-2942

Mike Bosley is the owner there...both shops kick a$$ and do quality work...

Hope it helps...Ryan
Back to top Go down
Dirt Diggler
Open/Open
Open/Open
Dirt Diggler

Male

PostSubject: Re: HELP! SOA on CJ7 in EDGEWOOD!   HELP!  SOA on CJ7 in EDGEWOOD! Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2007 1:15 pm

I have pretty much all the stuff to do it, minus a traction bar for anti-wrap. People (i.e. E.C.H.O.) said it would cost like 4,000. Which is OUTRAGEOUS!!!
Back to top Go down
UPNOVER
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
UPNOVER

Male
Number of posts : 856

PostSubject: Re: HELP! SOA on CJ7 in EDGEWOOD!   HELP!  SOA on CJ7 in EDGEWOOD! Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2007 1:24 pm

i.e. E.C.H.O.) = dgsagasjfhah

Ask Tom, red yj that wheeled with us last week, about ECHO.. They installed a transfer case for him, didnt fill with fluid, he drove home and it was burnt up and they denied it.

Adrenaline pulled it apart and found no fluid and he had to fight with ECHO to pay for it..
Back to top Go down
el_flasko
LS/Locker
LS/Locker
el_flasko

Male

PostSubject: Re: HELP! SOA on CJ7 in EDGEWOOD!   HELP!  SOA on CJ7 in EDGEWOOD! Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2007 5:30 pm

UPNOVER wrote:
i.e. E.C.H.O.) = dgsagasjfhah

Ask Tom, red yj that wheeled with us last week, about ECHO.. They installed a transfer case for him, didnt fill with fluid, he drove home and it was burnt up and they denied it.

Adrenaline pulled it apart and found no fluid and he had to fight with ECHO to pay for it..

BIG x2...ecoh stuck it to me yrs ago when I had my TJ. Jeff at Adrenaline is a good guy, good prices and TOP notch service. Mike at Appalachian is the same way.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HELP! SOA on CJ7 in EDGEWOOD!   HELP!  SOA on CJ7 in EDGEWOOD! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

HELP! SOA on CJ7 in EDGEWOOD!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Free At Last :: General 4x4 discussion-
Jump to: