Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

Spline count on D30

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
connordanny
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
connordanny

Male
Number of posts : 695
Registration date : 2007-01-19

Spline count on D30 Empty
PostSubject: Spline count on D30   Spline count on D30 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 02, 2007 3:45 pm

Does anyone know the spline count on the axle shafts on the D30 in a TJ w/ 3.73 gears?

I have spares, but want to be sure they are the right ones!Question

I wouldnt want to find out the stock ones are 30 spline and my spares are 27 spline:oops:
Thanks
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671
Registration date : 2007-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Spline count on D30   Spline count on D30 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 02, 2007 5:44 pm

Sorry I can't say with any confidence. I didn't think it mattered what year they came from or the gear ratio is. Just a dumb guess though. I love the stooges avatar being a big fan.
Back to top Go down
connordanny
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
connordanny

Male

PostSubject: Re: Spline count on D30   Spline count on D30 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 02, 2007 6:03 pm

Question
Yeah - it kind of reminds me of the time my Dad, my uncle and I tried to pull the spare shafts out at the junkyard....3 knuckleheads!

Hopefully it doesn't matter...Thanks
Back to top Go down
treefrog
Open/Locker
Open/Locker
treefrog

Male
Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2007-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Spline count on D30   Spline count on D30 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 02, 2007 8:41 pm

As long as they came out of a TJ, the Dana 30s are all the same. As far as I know the only Dana 30 axles that won't work are the disconnect axles and even if you found a non-disconnect frontend, just about all of pre TJ axles ran the 260 u-joints, and you can't use any CJ Dana 30 stuff.
The outers are 27 spline, not sure about the inners.

Yeh, what Rich said below.Very Happy

Last edited by on Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
onemoretime
Admin
Admin
onemoretime

Male
Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2007-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Spline count on D30   Spline count on D30 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 03, 2007 1:12 am

okay here is the run down.
All D30's are stock 27 spline 1.27" shafts.
95 and up run 297x or 560 x joints (all makes except cv shafted WJ')
84 thru 94 cherokee(xj-wj) except the ones with the disconnect are 260x size joints
87 thru 95 wranglers(all) two peice axles on pass side all joints are 260x except 95
the above vehicles all have the same driver side length and spline count and there for are interchangeable. Only thing is 94 and down shafts and not be peiced together with 95 and up shafts(joint size difference)
CJ's though they have the same spline count and shaft size are not interchangeable with any of the 87 above d30 shafts. The only close possibility is the widetrac d30 inner drivers side will mate with a 94 and lower driver side outer. This combo can work put the input at the splines into the carrier will be off alittle. Not enough to make a huge difference for a trail fix or short period. Question
Also the outer stub shafts of a RUBICON will fit any 95 and up d30 shaft. Also the stub spline count is 27 spline on all D30's so a rubi stub will work in the unit bearing of a TJ. The CJ outer stub though 27 splines will not mate with out heavy machining because it is setup for locking bub bearing assemblies and not unit bearings.
Back to top Go down
https://mrr4x4cforum.editboard.com
connordanny
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
connordanny

Male

PostSubject: Re: Spline count on D30   Spline count on D30 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 03, 2007 9:06 am

dfjsksdkfjsd
Thank you, Sir!
cheers
Back to top Go down
projblacknblue
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
projblacknblue

Male
Number of posts : 297
Registration date : 2007-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Spline count on D30   Spline count on D30 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 06, 2007 9:20 pm

Danny... is this related to the Sherman Tank squeakies you were making on the trail, or something unrelated?

Just wondering if you found it yet...
Back to top Go down
http://photos.yahoo.com/prophoto26
connordanny
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
connordanny

Male

PostSubject: Re: Spline count on D30   Spline count on D30 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 06, 2007 10:04 pm

No... I think the sherman tank squeeks are coming from the rear. The spares I have are for the front.....(little piece of mind for you incase you break up front)

My big concern now is that the TJ is still freezing up in the rear. It feels just like the parking break is on tight when I try to move it, then bang it breaks free and drives like normal. Nester thinks that it is water that made its way into the diff and is freezig up in this weather.

I'm gona go out 2nite and try to at least get the one fender flare that I smashed off replaced w/ the stock one....
I think my Jeep hates me now!
Back to top Go down
treefrog
Open/Locker
Open/Locker
treefrog

Male
Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2007-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Spline count on D30   Spline count on D30 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 07, 2007 8:52 pm

connordanny wrote:
It feels just like the parking break is on tight when I try to move it, then bang it breaks free and drives like normal.

That could also be caused by a ring or pinion tooth being chipped or broken.

Hope it's just full of water for your sake.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spline count on D30   Spline count on D30 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Spline count on D30
Page 1 of 1