Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

Aloha!

Go down 
+3
lloyder05
UPNOVER
Jeepers
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Jeepers
Open/Locker
Open/Locker
Jeepers

Male
Number of posts : 47
Emploi : US Army
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Aloha! Empty
PostSubject: Aloha!   Aloha! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2007 3:08 pm

Aloha and good morning!

My name is Chris and I am from Baltimore but currently stationed at Schofield Barracks in Hawaii. My tour here is coming to a close in a few months and I am hoping to get stationed at either Aberdeen or Ft. Meade.

I am active in my Jeep club out here (Oahu Jeepers) and am looking for a club to join when I finally get home.

I drive a lightly modified 2001 TJ with a few more upgrades coming shortly. I have been looking over your website and would be interested in getting some more info on the club.
Back to top Go down
UPNOVER
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
UPNOVER

Male
Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2007-01-19

Aloha! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aloha!   Aloha! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2007 3:26 pm

Welcome to MRR. Have you had a chance to visit the meetup site? That site lists the trips we plan and also has links to past trips with tons of photo's..
Did you wheel when you lived in Baltimore? If you get stationed at Aberdeen you are about a 2 hour ride to Rausch Creek Offroad park. That is were we do 90% of the wheeling. You might want to click that link also on the Home page or www.rauschcreekoffroadpark.org .

Do you have a website for your club in Hawaii? I would love to see some photo's of the type's of wheeling available there.
Back to top Go down
lloyder05
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
lloyder05

Male
Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2007-01-31

Aloha! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aloha!   Aloha! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2007 4:30 pm

UPNOVER wrote:
Welcome to MRR. Have you had a chance to visit the meetup site? That site lists the trips we plan and also has links to past trips with tons of photo's..
Did you wheel when you lived in Baltimore? If you get stationed at Aberdeen you are about a 2 hour ride to Rausch Creek Offroad park. That is were we do 90% of the wheeling. You might want to click that link also on the Home page or www.rauschcreekoffroadpark.org .

Do you have a website for your club in Hawaii? I would love to see some photo's of the type's of wheeling available there.

X2! Would love to see some wheelin pics from Hawaii!

Welcome to the club
Back to top Go down
Jeepers
Open/Locker
Open/Locker
Jeepers

Male

Aloha! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aloha!   Aloha! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2007 7:10 pm

Sure, here's the website: http://oahujeepers.proboards107.com/

It has been 7 years since I was in Baltimore, but I did a little wheeling when I was there. I had a 99 TJ at the time, bone stock, and loved to get her muddy. Back then, I was just getting into it and made most of the newbie mistakes. I learned real quick never to go wheeling alone! I used to go out behind Taget and Lowes (in the construction areas beyond the creek) and run in the mud after it rained.

I've learned alot in the past few years and have become one of the trail guides for my club. My spotter skills have vastly improved since I got to Hawaii as well. While we don't have anything too extreme (on Oahu anyway, there is some gnarly stuff on the Big Island) I have used the time here to gain experience. I can't wait to get home and try some of the more advanced trails that I have heard of.

I have looked at a few clubs, but you guys are the only ones that have actually responded. The other ones won't even talk to me because I am not in Baltimore. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I did have one question, I noticed in your videos that your rigs are trailered. Is that a requirement? My rig is my daily driver and only vehicle. Just curious.
Back to top Go down
The Devil Dog
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
The Devil Dog

Male
Number of posts : 1306
Emploi : New Suzuki and Used Car Sales

Aloha! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aloha!   Aloha! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2007 7:37 pm

hjkgghfghfghdgdhdfdh First and foremost, let me say than you for the comments about our club and our team response. We do pride ourselfs to be open and communicative with potential members and new commers, we all started there, it's just that some people tend to forget.

As to your question about the trailers; no it is not a requirement, some of us tend to play a little harder and it's eaiser to have a trailer than to call for the tow service. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Sad

I've been there back in the 80's There is some good wheeling on the military post as well as the mountain areas, that you have plenty off. Hell back then I climbed Dimondhead carrying one of those old video cameras that weight a ton, huff-n-puff throught the crack opennings and all. Love the visit, it was my 10th anniversarry present to my wife. 4

I look forward to your return to Baltimore and hope you get placed here in aberdeen. In the mean while like Matt said stay in touch and read the forum, the meetup site and the web site. I also have a new link on myjeepsite.com. rabbit

Hooooaaaahhhh! Ishow you say it in the Army, but in the Corps we say Uuuurrraahhh! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/tico_mrr
Jeepers
Open/Locker
Open/Locker
Jeepers

Male

Aloha! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aloha!   Aloha! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2007 9:23 pm

There are some killer trails on the military posts. Unfortunately, ever since 9-11 they have been closed to POV's. I will occaisonally take a couple soldiers to East Range in a Humvee for some "Driver Training" but I can't take my Jeep out there (learned that the hard way!).

Most of the trails are off-limits now thanks to the enviro-nazis out here. We have to be careful what we post on our websites because they actively search them for "dirt" to use against us. We now only have 2 places to wheel, and the legality of it is gray area at best. Fortunately, some of the club members are locals and occaisionally get us access to private land.

I'll mosey around the forum until I get back home. I'm due to PCS in August. I'll be picking the Jeep up in San Diego, then my son and I will be driving back via the old Rt 66 to Chicago and then Rt 40 into Baltimore. Probably gonna hit Moab while we're at it.

I'll keep you guys posted and send a few pics when I can. BTW, how do you post pics here?
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558

Aloha! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aloha!   Aloha! Icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2007 12:11 am

Thats kick ass man. I never thought that there was places to wheel in Hawaii but thats cool. Don't worry about the trailer thing. Some people trailer cause they have tend to break too much and have a hard time with trail repairs. Other trailer there rigs cause they have built them in ways that they dont do well on the highway. There is still plenty that street there rigs to the park. I just drove mine to the park last weekend. I normally tow mine to the trails.
Back to top Go down
thinga'ma'rig
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
thinga'ma'rig

Male
Number of posts : 972
Registration date : 2007-01-22

Aloha! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aloha!   Aloha! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 10:02 pm

you will have allot of fun in the club, there are allot of good people here 9
Back to top Go down
Jeepers
Open/Locker
Open/Locker
Jeepers

Male

Aloha! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aloha!   Aloha! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 11:04 pm

Yeah, I'm getting that feeling. Can't wait to come home in September and meet you guys. The family will be home in January or February so they might join before I do.

The wife is a self proclaimed "Jeeping Widow", but the club out here is not very family oriented (mostly a bunch of military and local guys) and she feels rather uncomfortable. She's been on the board using my logon and she likes what she is seeing so far.
Back to top Go down
Allium
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Allium

Male
Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2007-04-06

Aloha! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aloha!   Aloha! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 12:04 am

You will see family here. My wife actaully volunteered to come and is now suggesting trips! took my daughter out my last outing and she had a blast and she felt welcome also. So unless you want her to be a jeep widow....
Back to top Go down
Jeepers
Open/Locker
Open/Locker
Jeepers

Male

Aloha! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aloha!   Aloha! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 4:10 am

No, I'd love to have the whole family in on it. She just doesn't like getting bounced around. Says it makes her sick. On the other hand, the place we usually go wheeling there is zero shade, and the nearest restroom is at least a 20 minute drive after you get to the paved road.

She said she wants to go on another Peacock Flats run before she leaves, so I guess she's not totally anti-wheeling. She enjoyed herself the last time we went there...up until someone broke an axle and we spent 4 hours fixing it.

Either way, I'm sure y'all will meet her and the kids before you see me. She may not go wheeling, but I think she intends to get involved at some level.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Aloha! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aloha!   Aloha! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Aloha!
Page 1 of 1