Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

Peacock Flats carnage

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Jeepers
Open/Locker
Open/Locker
Jeepers

Male
Number of posts : 47
Emploi : US Army
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Peacock Flats carnage Empty
PostSubject: Peacock Flats carnage   Peacock Flats carnage Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2008 2:48 am

On Sunday, Dec. 30 I took the fam up to Peacock Flats (one of the last legal places for us to wheel out here). Things were going quite well for awhile. I managed to get up the first trail/obstacle (Initiator) without a spotter for the first time and didn't need a tug getting over one of the ruts.

As we progressed up the trail system we turned onto Jeepeater trail. We were the first to use this trail since the hurricaine several weeks ago. Consequently, we had to clear a LOT of downed trees. Fortunately, I come prepared and was the only one with an axe. It got a lot of use. Unfortunately, my day of wheeling was cut short around noon as we went up Jeepeater. This is a 29% hill with a sharp turn to the left halfway up. What makes this obstacle so difficult is the 3-4 foot deep rut that runs down the left side of the trail. The trail is fairly narrow so you have to straddle the rut which is just about as wide as a Jeep!

My earlier experience with Initiator made me a little overconfident and I decided to try it without a spotter. I was doing pretty well until I was about halfway up when my right rear tire slipped into the rut. Both front tires came up off the ground (This is about where I soiled my pants)! I quickly shifted into reverse and was able to bring the front back down. The downside is that in doing so, I laid the Jeep over on the passenger side! I figured better to lay her over than go end over end!

The damage:
Bent the "you know what" out of the front fender. It was tucked up quite nicely into the fenderwell.

I ripped off my rear flare and dented up the rear quarter panel.

Right side hood catch ripped off.

The door panel and rear window panel suffered a few small tears.

The support bar for the soft top was bent in about 6 inches.

The right rear spring popped out.

Once they righted me (thank God someone had a winch!) I had to be winched up the hill because I had no spring in the rear. I then had to drive about 8 miles to the campground at the top of the trail system to fix the spring. Fortunately, I have been able to repair most of the damage myself. I was able to bend out the fender, put the flare back on, and bend the roof support back.

It took us almost five hours to get me upright and up to the campground. I did not get back to the house until after 8pm! An altogether eventful way to spend the day. On the bright side, my wife (who was in the Jeep when she went over) has now been totally bitten by the "bug" and wants to learn how to drive off-road and come with me on trail rides.

Here are the few pics I was able to get.

This is the bottom of Initiator. Lots of rocks and low trees.
Peacock Flats carnage Pflats1

Peacock Flats carnage Pflats2

Meet Gigantor! This thing was like a white T-Rex crashing through all the trees and bush.
Peacock Flats carnage Pflats3

Gigantor coming up Initiator
Peacock Flats carnage Pflats4

This is where I usually need a spotter. This guy had a little trouble too (even with a Rubi) but we got him over quickly.
Peacock Flats carnage Pflats5

Last time this Jeep came up Initiator we were all running for cover when his hubs disintegrated!
Peacock Flats carnage Pflats6

With new chromalloy axles and warn locking hubs, he had no worries this time.
Peacock Flats carnage Pflats7

The Green Stomper taking on The Rutt
Peacock Flats carnage Pflats8

Airtime!
Peacock Flats carnage Pflats9

Gigantor coming down Jeepeater. You can see how deep the rut is and how steep the hill is.
Peacock Flats carnage Pflats10

Very little room for tire on one side! Tricky at best.
Peacock Flats carnage Pflats11

Here you can see just how challenging it is to straddle this rut.
Peacock Flats carnage Pflats12

View from the top of Peacock Flats. You can usually see the entire North Shore of the island.
Peacock Flats carnage Pflats13

Having some fun at the Playground.
Peacock Flats carnage Pflats14

This is one of my favorite obstacles on the Playground. My first trip up in a bone stock Jeep I got over it first try, no spotter, no problem. The built Jeep behind me had to be winched up! Boy was he mad! lol!
Peacock Flats carnage Pflats15

We spent a couple hours clearing trees from the trail. That's me in the orange shirt.
Peacock Flats carnage Pflats16

Oooooooooh, SNAP!!! affraid
Peacock Flats carnage Oops

This was a very precarious place to roll over. The guys who got me wheels down, had to do some creative winching to keep me from sliding back down the hill.
Peacock Flats carnage Oops2
Back to top Go down
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male
Number of posts : 1243
Registration date : 2007-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Peacock Flats carnage   Peacock Flats carnage Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2008 3:03 am

looks like a blast. Your oil pan is dented. Good to hear you are ok.
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558
Registration date : 2007-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Peacock Flats carnage   Peacock Flats carnage Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2008 4:10 am

Looks sweet. Tropical wheeling has to be cool.
Back to top Go down
Jeepers
Open/Locker
Open/Locker
Jeepers

Male

PostSubject: Re: Peacock Flats carnage   Peacock Flats carnage Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2008 1:52 pm

rockdw72 wrote:
Your oil pan is dented.

Yeah, I bought it that way. The previous owner was pretty rough on her.

makitupthehardway wrote:
Looks sweet. Tropical wheeling has to be cool.

Yeah, it is. Gets kinda scary sometimes when you're running those ridge lines. Barely enough room for a vehicle with 1,000 foot drops on either side! It's definately an adventure! BTW just on the other side of my rolled jeep is a 300 foot drop!
Back to top Go down
Jeepers
Open/Locker
Open/Locker
Jeepers

Male

PostSubject: Re: Peacock Flats carnage   Peacock Flats carnage Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2008 4:36 am

Here are a couple better pics of the rollover and the aftermath.

Peacock Flats carnage Flopped

Peacock Flats carnage Flopped2

Yep, that's me and the wife hangin from our seatbelts. They would not release, so we had to stay there till they righted us.
Peacock Flats carnage Flopped3

This is the damage. Not too bad.
Peacock Flats carnage Aftermath
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Peacock Flats carnage   Peacock Flats carnage Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Peacock Flats carnage
Page 1 of 1