Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

YJ winter work

Go down 
+6
Locked_N_Loaded
md4wheelin
Grason
rockdw72
makitupthehardway
Rockn93YJ
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male
Number of posts : 1243
Registration date : 2007-01-20

YJ winter work - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: YJ winter work   YJ winter work - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2008 1:12 pm

looking good. It might just be the angle of the pics but it looks like the front drive shaft is going to hit the sub frame.
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558
Registration date : 2007-01-19

PostSubject: Re: YJ winter work   YJ winter work - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2008 3:10 pm

rockdw72 wrote:
looking good. It might just be the angle of the pics but it looks like the front drive shaft is going to hit the sub frame.

Good call I was thinking the same thing. But I bet its the angle of the shot. The stock belly pan is stops right in front of the control arm mount and the new one should clear the same. If it does he could check clearances and then notch the sub frame. Still looks really good.

Bill, can I steal you stock belly skid to use as a template.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671

PostSubject: Re: YJ winter work   YJ winter work - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 9:53 am

Eric you can borrow the belly pan any time.
Finished the belly pan installation and installed the front driveshaft. Its going to be close but I think it will clear. I'll check clearances on thursday. Still have to bleed the clutch, install the shifter and install the rear driveshaft.
I decided to cut reliefs in the skid steel to allow the frame to be installed wihtout the belly pan. Also finished the new bracket for the PSC steering pump. now it has front and rear brackets and no bend.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: YJ winter work   YJ winter work - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 10:17 am

YJ winter work - Page 2 Bellyskid
YJ winter work - Page 2 Boltskids2
YJ winter work - Page 2 Boltskids3
YJ winter work - Page 2 Boltskids
YJ winter work - Page 2 Frame
YJ winter work - Page 2 Frameinstalled
YJ winter work - Page 2 Trannymount
YJ winter work - Page 2 Bellyinstalled2
YJ winter work - Page 2 Bellyinstalled
YJ winter work - Page 2 Oldpsbrace
YJ winter work - Page 2 NewPSrearbrace
YJ winter work - Page 2 Braceinstalled3
YJ winter work - Page 2 Braceinstalled2
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: YJ winter work   YJ winter work - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 9:01 pm

yeah that back plate should take care of any issue with the PSC pump. I like the design of the of the belly pan. That thing looks to be able to take hell for years to come.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: YJ winter work   YJ winter work - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 10:32 pm

makitupthehardway wrote:
yeah that back plate should take care of any issue with the PSC pump. I like the design of the of the belly pan. That thing looks to be able to take hell for years to come.

I'm sure we will find out. I still need to get a longer bolt on the middle of the bracket. there is room for another half inch and I'll put the proper spacer in there and put a nut on it. as far as belly pan durablity, we will see. 9 If all goes well with the cage work and 5 point harness/seat installation then I may go ahead and do the comp if you are still up for spotting. Don't really care if it rolls, thats what I'm building it for. king
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: YJ winter work   YJ winter work - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2008 10:06 am

The the word. I'm all for it this time we need some wireless head sets so we dont have to yell.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: YJ winter work   YJ winter work - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2008 9:59 pm

Didn't have much time to work on it today. I checked the rear driveshaft for clearance and checked to see if it would bind with the tcase sitting so high now. At full travel I still have another inch or two of drop to the driveshaft. Thats cutting it close but I can't imagine it being a problem. Also installed the shifter, it was a major bitch as I couldn't get my big hands in the little hole to get the bolts on. the two front ones were easy but the two in the back I just couldn't get an angle on. Had to reach from under the jeep behind and over the top of the transfer case to reach it and put it in by feel. barely room for a ratchet wrench but was able to work it in there with a single click back and forth and a lot of patience. (dumbass should have put the shifter on before tucking it up there and installing the crossmember). Also bled the clutch and had no issues there. Then took it for a test drive without the top (doesn't fit in the garage with the top on) and froze my ass off. Jeep is running great again, no belt squeal! Also no longer thumps when letting out on the clutch. The belly pan needs trimming before I can install it. I'll probalbly do that sunday and maybe work on the ARB switches.
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male
Number of posts : 1875

PostSubject: Re: YJ winter work   YJ winter work - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2008 9:46 am

[quote="Rockn93YJ"]Also it was a major bitch as I couldn't get my big hands in the little hole [quote]

ahhh so many comments, so little time lol!
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: YJ winter work   YJ winter work - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2008 7:07 pm

Updated list:

1. 9" currie rear axle tube leaking.
I took it apart, used some copper silicone and its not leaking currently. we'll see after the first trail ride.

2. Thump in drivetrain and clutch not working properly.
No more thump, clutch not bleeding. going to replace the master cyl.

3. going to install the MORE motor lift, tuck the drivetrain up into the body a little better. There is a lot more room there since installing the 2" body lift. Also going to replace the belly pan with a piece of ballistic steel courtesy of Dave Leasure. I'll trace the old pan onto the steel and cut it out. the atlas may need a relief cut out and then I'll build a skid for that.
Done.

4. Front shocks bottom out and they are at risk for breakage, also the crank pully can contact the steering hardware at full compression. going to install bump stops in the front to solve that.

5. rear locker ARB line needs a new O ring at the axle. simple fix.
- repairs done

6. soft top is half destroyed at mounting locations. gonna have to fix that so I can wheel in all weather.
Done.

7. ARB switches are going to be rewired so that I can engage and disengage the front and rear lockers independently.

8. Rear suspension winch will be installed. I'm going to just run the one from the front back through some strategically placed pulleys to make it work. eventually I may install a rear one independent from the front if needed. I will have to see how it functions on the trail.
- not gonna do this, waste of time.

9. Need to install a 5 point racing harness.
- low priority until cage is upgraded

10. Cage work!
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: YJ winter work   YJ winter work - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2008 7:11 pm

Tried to bleed the clutch again, worked for 5 miles to the clinic. on the way home it progressively lost function. Thinking the master cyl might be bad. Emergency brake was adjusted so they will activate evenly. oil pan skid was modified and installed. I moved it up closer to the oil pan since the drivetrain was moved up with the tummy tuck and motor lift. Soft top has been installed but is in real poor shape, not gonna replace it for as little as I use it. Put together my tube bender only to find they forgot to include the 1" center pin that holds the whole thing together.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: YJ winter work   YJ winter work - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2008 9:44 pm

replaced the clutch master cyl and bled the clutch. now it works just fine. also got the final piece in for the tube bender so this weekend I'll be bending some tube for the YJ cage.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: YJ winter work   YJ winter work - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 4:27 pm

not much done, had to move my son into his own room. gonna go down and check out a clunk in the rear I heard while on a test drive yesterday.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: YJ winter work   YJ winter work - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 11:04 pm

Updated list:

4. Front shocks bottom out and they are at risk for breakage, also the crank pully can contact the steering hardware at full compression. going to install bump stops in the front to solve that.
- The motor lift actually took care of the crank pulley clearance issues, still could use bump stops but not a priority.

7. ARB switches are going to be rewired so that I can engage and disengage the front and rear lockers independently.
- DONE

9. Need to install a 5 point racing harness.
- low priority until cage is upgraded

10. Cage work! - got the metal today to build the stand for the bender and bought the concrete anchors. I'm going to anchor a hitch receiver onto the floor and weld one to the trailer so I can just slip the bender in when I need to and use it in my garage or if more room is needed use the one on the trailer. plus having it on the trailer makes it mobile.

Also put my front license plate back on today.
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male

PostSubject: Re: YJ winter work   YJ winter work - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2008 12:07 am

I was thinking today about how to build the cage. I was going to build it out of cheap electric conduit first so as not to waste good tubing. this way i know the exact way to bend the tube when I put it in the bender.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: YJ winter work   YJ winter work - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2008 11:13 am

md4wheelin wrote:
I was thinking today about how to build the cage. I was going to build it out of cheap electric conduit first so as not to waste good tubing. this way i know the exact way to bend the tube when I put it in the bender.

A better way is to read this tube bending 101 article from pirate. I know it's boring reading but there is no calculations and it demonstrates a simple way to do it right the first time using simple measurements and chalk diagrams on the floor. I highly recommend doing it this way. I'll be starting in the next week or so using this same method. Problem with using conduit is you don't figure where the tube bender starts and ends the bend and how tight the radius is etc.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/bendin_tube/index.html
Back to top Go down
Twisted Willys
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
Twisted Willys

Male
Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2007-06-10

PostSubject: Re: YJ winter work   YJ winter work - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2008 2:03 pm

All makes good sense
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/DLLME
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: YJ winter work   YJ winter work - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2008 7:13 pm

any recomendations on seats and 5 point racing harness? need two of each(driver and passenger).
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male

PostSubject: Re: YJ winter work   YJ winter work - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2008 10:45 pm

Rockn93YJ wrote:
Problem with using conduit is you don't figure where the tube bender starts and ends the bend and how tight the radius is etc.

hows that when your using the bender to bend it? I'll check out that artical on pirate though.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: YJ winter work   YJ winter work - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2008 10:17 pm

md4wheelin wrote:
Rockn93YJ wrote:
Problem with using conduit is you don't figure where the tube bender starts and ends the bend and how tight the radius is etc.

hows that when your using the bender to bend it? I'll check out that artical on pirate though.

It would work it the cheap conduit is the same diameter and doesn't crumple when you bend it.

As it turns out I have a lot of bolts (damn torx head piece of crap) that refuse to leave the jeep. I had to weld nuts to 3 of the 4 overhead bar bolts to the windshield to remove them due to stripped torx head bolts. I'm now looking at using the main and rear portions of the original roll cage and building off of that. It looks to be the same thickness material but won't be in the design I wanted. I'll still be able to make use of most of the plan and make it strong, eliminate the windshield bars and replace it as planned etc. Made my first bend today for practice. Tomorrow I bend my first piece of cage.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: YJ winter work   YJ winter work - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 09, 2008 8:03 pm

NEVER give up. Finally got all the stock hardware out...Damn torx head bolts.
YJ winter work - Page 2 HPIM1502

Cage is finally out
YJ winter work - Page 2 HPIM1504

Finally a pic of my receiver mount tube bender stand. I'll be welding one on the trailer as well.
YJ winter work - Page 2 HPIM1496

Bender fully assembled. Yes it is mounted into the concrete on the wifes side of the garage.
YJ winter work - Page 2 HPIM1499

tube bender fully assembled and first piece of tube bent.
YJ winter work - Page 2 HPIM1500

I was able to bend the main hoop today as well, pics to come later.
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male

PostSubject: Re: YJ winter work   YJ winter work - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 09, 2008 8:12 pm

looking good
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: YJ winter work   YJ winter work - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 11, 2008 10:09 pm

main hoop is done, first overhead bar is done but my notching sucks. Even with a template it takes way too long to do this. time for a notcher. I'm thinking TN-100
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: YJ winter work   YJ winter work - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 13, 2008 4:39 pm

got some more tube bent
YJ winter work - Page 2 Frontwindowbar
YJ winter work - Page 2 Mainhoopandwindowbar
Back to top Go down
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male
Number of posts : 1243

PostSubject: Re: YJ winter work   YJ winter work - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 14, 2008 11:22 pm

looks right on your marks. mbn
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: YJ winter work   YJ winter work - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

YJ winter work
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next