Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

Nissan hardbody

Go down 
+2
rockdw72
Locked_N_Loaded
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Locked_N_Loaded
Admin
Admin
Locked_N_Loaded

Male
Number of posts : 1783
Registration date : 2007-02-09

Nissan hardbody Empty
PostSubject: Nissan hardbody   Nissan hardbody Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 1:28 am

Well guys i've been kicking this around for a while and waiting for a dual tcase setup to arise and...

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=438873&page=14

it's almost here!! I know this is a little different but I've had a project plan laid out in my mind for a while on what I want to do with either a hardbody i basically own already or a pathfinder. I'd prefer a hardbody since i have a pretty good source and there are less body panels to get in the way! What would be the best donor vehicle for axles and possibly the 300, although the 300s are easiest enough to score? help me, i can only read so much in a day!
Back to top Go down
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male
Number of posts : 1243
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Nissan hardbody Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nissan hardbody   Nissan hardbody Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 10:19 am

how big do you want to go? you can put a toy axle in the front, and leave the rear alone. or you can go to 44s out of a waggy. but if you want bigger then 37 go with 60s.
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671

Nissan hardbody Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nissan hardbody   Nissan hardbody Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 12:10 pm

Yeah, the tire size will determine a lot as far as axles and tcase selection. I know someone with a couple D300 if you are interested, he lives in baltimore though. Tell us more.
Back to top Go down
Locked_N_Loaded
Admin
Admin
Locked_N_Loaded

Male

Nissan hardbody Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nissan hardbody   Nissan hardbody Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 2:14 pm

Well...here is the idea. I'd like something i could whoop on a little harder than my rig in the reds and i'm not ready to do bigger running gear in the yj. I'd like to throw in the super 88 kit and call it "done" for a while on my rig. 37"s would be fine but i get like a bubbly little girl at the thought of a 60s, overkill or not, and the tx10/300. I was thinking of the waggy rears since they're cheap and easy to get ahold of. I want to do this to improve my wrenching skills and to spare my YJ a little bit of abuse. I'd like to lay out a good plan so I'm open to all ideas.
Back to top Go down
Grason
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool

Male
Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2007-09-12

Nissan hardbody Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nissan hardbody   Nissan hardbody Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 2:22 pm

60's arent overkill 7
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

Nissan hardbody Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nissan hardbody   Nissan hardbody Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 2:53 pm

Grason wrote:
60's arent overkill 7
Yeah, thats like the standard if you want to "Whoop" on it through the reds.
Back to top Go down
Grason
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool

Male

Nissan hardbody Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nissan hardbody   Nissan hardbody Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 6:07 pm

Rockn93YJ wrote:
Grason wrote:
60's arent overkill 7
Yeah, thats like the standard if you want to "Whoop" on it through the reds.

im just tired of my crap breaking, i get tired of fixing it so the solution is 60's
Back to top Go down
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male

Nissan hardbody Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nissan hardbody   Nissan hardbody Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 9:02 pm

you can get a hold of chevy one tons just as cheap as the waggys. the only down side to a chevy front 60 is it is low pinion, but waggys are too. again depending on tire size you might want to stay away from a 14bolt. I am learning my lesson now. I wish I would of either done a front 60 or a rear 9. because right now the 14bolt drags on everything and bigger tires to make up for the 14bolt, my 44 wont like.
Back to top Go down
Grason
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool

Male

Nissan hardbody Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nissan hardbody   Nissan hardbody Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 9:17 pm

rockdw72 wrote:
you can get a hold of chevy one tons just as cheap as the waggys. the only down side to a chevy front 60 is it is low pinion, but waggys are too. again depending on tire size you might want to stay away from a 14bolt. I am learning my lesson now. I wish I would of either done a front 60 or a rear 9. because right now the 14bolt drags on everything and bigger tires to make up for the 14bolt, my 44 wont like.

take the 60 and 9" put em together and = 609 rabbit
Back to top Go down
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male

Nissan hardbody Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nissan hardbody   Nissan hardbody Icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2008 1:01 am

that would be nice too.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

Nissan hardbody Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nissan hardbody   Nissan hardbody Icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2008 10:57 am

Might want to just get big axles and keep them stock so you don't need custom shafts and stuff, cheaper and easier to replace.
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male
Number of posts : 1875

Nissan hardbody Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nissan hardbody   Nissan hardbody Icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2008 11:51 am

Rockn93YJ wrote:
Might want to just get big axles and keep them stock so you don't need custom shafts and stuff, cheaper and easier to replace.

x2
Back to top Go down
Grason
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool

Male

Nissan hardbody Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nissan hardbody   Nissan hardbody Icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2008 2:43 pm

Rockn93YJ wrote:

i have 35 spline yukon 4340 chromoly fronts with yukon superjoints and 35 spline chromoly rears, my buddies at aoi will replace any thing i break. so to me its worth upgrading and not having it brake on me, BUT if i do manage to brake it they will send new shafts or joints to me no questions asked.
Back to top Go down
Locked_N_Loaded
Admin
Admin
Locked_N_Loaded

Male

Nissan hardbody Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nissan hardbody   Nissan hardbody Icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2008 3:35 pm

If you manage to break them I want to be there to see it.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

Nissan hardbody Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nissan hardbody   Nissan hardbody Icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2008 4:02 pm

Grason wrote:
Rockn93YJ wrote:

i have 35 spline yukon 4340 chromoly fronts with yukon superjoints and 35 spline chromoly rears, my buddies at aoi will replace any thing i break. so to me its worth upgrading and not having it brake on me, BUT if i do manage to brake it they will send new shafts or joints to me no questions asked.

I agree there, works for you and me but I was following the assumption he didn't want to spend a lot of money to get it on the trail.
Back to top Go down
Locked_N_Loaded
Admin
Admin
Locked_N_Loaded

Male

Nissan hardbody Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nissan hardbody   Nissan hardbody Icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2008 4:17 pm

Your assumption is spot on...cheap and strong - upgrades later when I start selling my organs and stuff. I plan to put the money in the tcase setup first.
Back to top Go down
Grason
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool

Male

Nissan hardbody Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nissan hardbody   Nissan hardbody Icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2008 6:40 pm

yes, it is easier to carry spare stock shafts, but you have a greater chance of breaking a stock vs. chromoly and then you have to take the time to fix the shaft on the trail when it brakes. i do agree that it is good to put the money in to a good case but if you dont build it stout something will break.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558
Registration date : 2007-01-19

Nissan hardbody Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nissan hardbody   Nissan hardbody Icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2008 8:47 pm

Well looking thru the nissan section of the pirate there are a couple of guys using Toyota axles but most of the time it looks like 44 or 60's. I think you have a good idea with what you said about the T-case gears first. Weld the rear and go beat the piss out of it. If its a trail only rig I say go full widths 60 and a 14 bolt. It will be cheaper that way cause spares are cheap and if you want you can up grade later down the road.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Nissan hardbody Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nissan hardbody   Nissan hardbody Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Nissan hardbody
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: 4x4 Tech :: OFFROAD TECH-
Jump to: