Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

Tie down choices..

Go down 
+3
mdcj7
Rockn93YJ
UPNOVER
7 posters
AuthorMessage
UPNOVER
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
UPNOVER

Male
Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2007-01-19

Tie down choices.. Empty
PostSubject: Tie down choices..   Tie down choices.. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 20, 2007 10:54 am

For those of you that trailer your rigs, how are you tying them down? Its been a big topic on another forum but it seems like a personal choice more than which is better. Are you running 4 straps, chains or are you using both?

I am about to order 4 straps with over the axle straps built in from Summit. They seem to have the best price for the 8 foot 10,000 lb straps. They are like $21 a piece. Jiffy Hitch in Joppa wants $32 a piece. With Summits free shipping I save $40.

I also remember Tico running the straps from the rear axle to the front of the trailer and the front axle to the rear of the trailer. Is anyone doing this? They must be longer than 8 foot straps to do this.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Tie down choices.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tie down choices..   Tie down choices.. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 20, 2007 11:47 am

What has worked well for me is 4 straps around the axle and criss cross them at a diagonal of about 45 degrees. That prevents side to side movement and front to rear movement. The shortest route provides the least chance that a loose strap will fail to hold. The straps definitely change their tension whether dry or wet from a rain on the way up. With straps you will have some stretch and you have to stop after the first 30-45 minutes or so and give them a crank or two and you cannot skip that step! With chains there is no stretch but you still should check them after the first 30-45 minutes as well. The method I use of 4 straps at a diagonal is what we used in the military but with chains/binders to strap vehicles down to the trains. By the way NEVER strap to the frame or bumper alone as the vehicle will walk, straps will come loose. Buy an extra strap when you make a purchase as they will eventually fail and its nice to have a replacement on hand.
Back to top Go down
UPNOVER
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
UPNOVER

Male

Tie down choices.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tie down choices..   Tie down choices.. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 20, 2007 1:08 pm

Thanks Bill.. Thats the way I have done for years but it seems everyone is trying something different.. I have never had a problem doing it this way..
Back to top Go down
mdcj7
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
mdcj7

Male
Number of posts : 438

Tie down choices.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tie down choices..   Tie down choices.. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 20, 2007 6:46 pm

here are the straps I'm useing.
good people to deal with.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-RATCHET-STRAP-TIE-DOWN-4-MONSTER-AXLE-STRAPS-31in_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33653QQhashZitem8052242758QQihZ019QQitemZ8052242758QQtcZphoto
Back to top Go down
ne14jpn
LS/Locker
LS/Locker
ne14jpn

Male
Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2007-01-21

Tie down choices.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tie down choices..   Tie down choices.. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 20, 2007 7:19 pm

I use 10,000 pound straps. Loop one around front axle and one around the back axle. I compress my suspension with winches. I only use 2 b/c I'm lazy. if im in a big accident I have alot more to worry about than if my jeep moved.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/millerrockracing
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male
Number of posts : 1875

Tie down choices.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tie down choices..   Tie down choices.. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 20, 2007 8:03 pm

I know for equipment MD DOT law states that you need four seperate chain binders to be leagal. Not sure if this applies to cars or not. As far as me when it come to the jeep I use two straps. One on the back axel and one on the front, it works but as stated above in a accident I may be screwed.
Back to top Go down
MaxRox
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
MaxRox

Female
Number of posts : 137

Tie down choices.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tie down choices..   Tie down choices.. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 20, 2007 8:25 pm

I tie down much like Bill. Two straps on each axle, crossed. The only problem I have is that the ratchets end up on top of each other. So any suggestions there other than custom straps would be appreciated.
Back to top Go down
UPNOVER
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
UPNOVER

Male

Tie down choices.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tie down choices..   Tie down choices.. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 20, 2007 9:14 pm

If you put the ratchets towards the trailer and not towards the axle they shouldnt be close to each other. The short end should attach to the trailer and the long end towards the axle.
Back to top Go down
MaxRox
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
MaxRox

Female
Number of posts : 137

Tie down choices.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tie down choices..   Tie down choices.. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 20, 2007 11:25 pm

I can't turn them, they have chains on one end and straps on the other with cliips on the end. I think I am going to have to invest in some new straps.
Back to top Go down
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male
Number of posts : 1243

Tie down choices.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tie down choices..   Tie down choices.. Icon_minitimeWed Feb 21, 2007 12:38 am

you need at least three for an car. I saw a skidder one time, that came in where I work. it had the winch to the trailer on the back and one binder going over the blade in the front. kidda off topic but wanted to share. Not sure what the guy was thinking but I kind of wish DOT would of pulled him over. Hey joe do you have DOT # on you truck.
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male
Number of posts : 1875

Tie down choices.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tie down choices..   Tie down choices.. Icon_minitimeWed Feb 21, 2007 9:51 am

for my 350 I don't run any dot#s on it because I use it also as a personal truck. Now I do run dot#s on my 450 and 6500. I know what you mean about idiots and trailers. I was eating lunch one day and a guy stoped at the light in front of me and I noticed the skid steer moved a little. I got to looking and noticed the only thing keeping the machine on the trailer was the machines parking break.
Back to top Go down
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male
Number of posts : 1243

Tie down choices.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tie down choices..   Tie down choices.. Icon_minitimeWed Feb 21, 2007 6:53 pm

boss said I could use the truck everyonce in a while, to tow my jeep. But everything we have has DOT # so that means anything over 10,000 I have to stop at weigh stations, just wondering if you had it and what you did about them. Thought about covering them up but that would be to cool if i got cought.
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
Sponsored content

Tie down choices.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tie down choices..   Tie down choices.. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tie down choices..
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: 4x4 Tech :: OFFROAD TECH-
Jump to: