Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

gas leak!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
jd92yj
Open/Open
Open/Open

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2008-03-02

gas leak! Empty
PostSubject: gas leak!   gas leak! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 6:35 pm

i noticed that my jeep is leaking gas i havent dropped the skid plate yet but it only leaks after its been running which leads me to belive that its a return line if so how difficult is it to fix?

josh
Back to top Go down
connordanny
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
connordanny

Male
Number of posts : 695
Registration date : 2007-01-19

gas leak! Empty
PostSubject: Re: gas leak!   gas leak! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 7:29 pm

The same thing happened to my Dad's 94 YJ. Dropping the tank isn't that bad- just leave the straps that hold the tank to the skid intact. They are a PITA to get back on. It could be the gasket around the fuel pump or the lines coming from the pump going to the rail. My dad bought a length of gas hose at autozone pretty cheap and we replaced them both.

You'll need to disassemble the gas filler so those 2 hoses can slip between the frame and the body when you drop the tank. There are 4 nuts that you need to remove under your rear bumper (if you have one) and three nuts and bolts to remove where the skid meets the body under the tub. Then you put a floor jack under the skid and wiggle the whole thing around the tailpipe. It will take some prying and kicking to get it to move. Once it comes down low enough to get your hand in there you'll need to disconnect the wiring clip to the fuel pump and 2 vent hoses that should just pull off the nipple they are on.

Here is a pic of my dad's w/ the tank already dropped and a pic of what the tank looks like (minus the fuel pump) The four studs in the first pic hold the rear of the skid on. The muddy tube to the left is one of the vent tubes.
gas leak! RauschCreek10-21-07003
gas leak! YJGasTank

Just remember ... No smoking during this project! affraid
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558
Registration date : 2007-01-19

gas leak! Empty
PostSubject: Re: gas leak!   gas leak! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 8:50 pm

Are you sure its coming from the tank. Mine has the same problem but I had a leak once at the fuel filter.
Back to top Go down
projblacknblue
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
projblacknblue

Male
Number of posts : 297
Registration date : 2007-01-20

gas leak! Empty
PostSubject: Re: gas leak!   gas leak! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 9:57 pm

Also... drain the tank first... I made the mistake of swapping skid plates with half a tank of gas...

Got scary when it fell off the jack (reinstalling with 3 times the armor) on my chest and I had to bench press it off...

Got scarier when I finished at 3am then left 2 hours later to wheel Paragon the next day (all thanks to Joe's peer pressure... Luv ya Joe cheers )
Back to top Go down
http://photos.yahoo.com/prophoto26
jd92yj
Open/Open
Open/Open

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2008-03-02

gas leak! Empty
PostSubject: Re: gas leak!   gas leak! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2008 9:05 pm

well guys i have come to the conclusion that the return line hose clamp was lose becuase i lowered it and started it and it spit everywhere i titened up the clamp and it stopped so im goin to reinstall it
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

gas leak! Empty
PostSubject: Re: gas leak!   gas leak! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

gas leak!
Page 1 of 1