Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

88 YJ transfer case rear seal leaking

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
FallstonYJ
Open/Locker
Open/Locker
FallstonYJ

Male
Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2008-04-07

88 YJ transfer case rear seal leaking Empty
PostSubject: 88 YJ transfer case rear seal leaking   88 YJ transfer case rear seal leaking Icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2008 12:13 am

I replaced the rear seal on my transfer case a couple of weeks ago and it is still leaking; any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks, Tom.
Back to top Go down
SLeach
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
SLeach

Male
Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2007-01-20

PostSubject: Re: 88 YJ transfer case rear seal leaking   88 YJ transfer case rear seal leaking Icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2008 11:00 am

Assuming you dont have a sye, you need to replace the rear bushing in that housing. This is what usually causes it to leak but the seal gets blamed most of the time. If you go to advance, it is not the rear bearing. Acutally idont think they can get it, i work there and have searched all over the computer. You should have the np231 trasfercase and not the 208(or 207, cant remember which they put in in the first few years of the yj or for how long) you might try napa or autozone, it should be like 10 dollars
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558
Registration date : 2007-01-19

PostSubject: Re: 88 YJ transfer case rear seal leaking   88 YJ transfer case rear seal leaking Icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2008 2:29 pm

I would check the yoke too. If its has bad pitting on it you need to redo the seal and clean the yoke with some sand paper or emory cloth.
Back to top Go down
lt.dan
LS/Locker
LS/Locker
lt.dan

Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2008-11-12

PostSubject: Re: 88 YJ transfer case rear seal leaking   88 YJ transfer case rear seal leaking Icon_minitimeFri Nov 14, 2008 2:05 am

if your driveshaft is out of ballance it will cause uneaven wear on the yoke, and bushing. both parts can be purchased at perry hall power equipment 410-391-2300
Back to top Go down
FallstonYJ
Open/Locker
Open/Locker
FallstonYJ

Male
Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: 88 YJ transfer case rear seal leaking   88 YJ transfer case rear seal leaking Icon_minitimeSat Nov 15, 2008 12:11 pm

Thanks, Lt. Dan. It seems it is a mute point now as I blew the rear last weekend at RC. Now I will be searching for a new axle; (preferably 8.Cool, and when I have that installed I will install the SYE that I have had for a while. That plus a new driveshaft should take care of it, I hope! BTW, welcome to the club!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 88 YJ transfer case rear seal leaking   88 YJ transfer case rear seal leaking Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

88 YJ transfer case rear seal leaking
Page 1 of 1