Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

XJ Budget Boost

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
connordanny
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
connordanny

Male
Number of posts : 695
Registration date : 2007-01-19

XJ Budget Boost Empty
PostSubject: XJ Budget Boost   XJ Budget Boost Icon_minitimeFri Oct 03, 2008 12:09 am

I bought my sister a Budget Boost for her XJ in June for her graduation and I just havent had a free weekend to put it on. My next day off is Oct 25th and I'm finally gonna get around to it. I've done the front spacers before because they are the same as the TJ so that should be easy. Has anyone done the add-a-leaf before? I'm just curious what is involved....
Thx
DC
Back to top Go down
thinga'ma'rig
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
thinga'ma'rig

Male
Number of posts : 972
Registration date : 2007-01-22

XJ Budget Boost Empty
PostSubject: Re: XJ Budget Boost   XJ Budget Boost Icon_minitimeFri Oct 03, 2008 7:53 am

you have to lift the entire rear of the vehicle to get the weight off of the springs I LIKE TO PUT SOME OF THEM JACK STANDS UNDER THE FRAME,take the u-bolts off of the axle, then take both the eye bolts out, it is easier to remove the whole spring pack. (some people can do it whith the front bolts still in on the vehicle)get a large vice and tighten it up on the pack holding the leafs together, remove the eye (center ) bolt and loosen the leaf pack up. install the add-a-leaf in the proper spot compress the pack with the vice and install the center pin again (you might have to get another center pin if the old one is damaged or to short now) tighten it back up and take the clamp off. now you can re-install the whole pack back under the vehicle. please make sure you have the vehicle secured properly. WE DONT NEED YOU MISSING A JEEP RUN BECAUSE YOU HAD A XJ FALL ON YOU lol!
Back to top Go down
connordanny
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
connordanny

Male

XJ Budget Boost Empty
PostSubject: Re: XJ Budget Boost   XJ Budget Boost Icon_minitimeFri Oct 03, 2008 9:54 am

10-4
I've got the jack stands ready! jkfg
Back to top Go down
mdcj7
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
mdcj7

Male
Number of posts : 438

XJ Budget Boost Empty
PostSubject: Re: XJ Budget Boost   XJ Budget Boost Icon_minitimeSat Oct 04, 2008 10:03 am

Danny a big C-clamp can be used to bring the springs back together on the new centerpin.
Back to top Go down
connordanny
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
connordanny

Male

XJ Budget Boost Empty
PostSubject: Re: XJ Budget Boost   XJ Budget Boost Icon_minitimeSat Oct 04, 2008 7:13 pm

I have a couple of the 4" harbor freight C-Clamps that we used to do the brake job. Would that be big enough or should I get a bigger one?
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558

XJ Budget Boost Empty
PostSubject: Re: XJ Budget Boost   XJ Budget Boost Icon_minitimeSat Oct 04, 2008 9:20 pm

yeah Danny that will work fine. I use a 4 inch c clamp and vise clamps when I have to work with the leaf springs on my rigs.
Back to top Go down
connordanny
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
connordanny

Male

XJ Budget Boost Empty
PostSubject: Re: XJ Budget Boost   XJ Budget Boost Icon_minitimeSun Oct 26, 2008 10:34 pm

Well we got rained out on Saturday, so we postponed the project until today.

All went pretty smooth. We did the coil spacers on my TJ a few years ago, so we were able to fly through the front of the XJ.
We took our time with the leaf springs in the rear. The spring clips that hold the spring pack togeather took us a while to figure out. We kept hitting them with a sledge trying to get them to slide up the spring pack. We finally realized that it has to be pried apart right where it is on the spring..

Here are some pics...
Before (8 am this morning):
XJ Budget Boost Eileenslift001

During:
XJ Budget Boost Eileenslift005

The driveway looks like a Harbor Freight junkyard....

XJ Budget Boost Eileenslift006
XJ Budget Boost Eileenslift008

And after:
XJ Budget Boost Eileenslift014
My Sister after she washed the Jeep
XJ Budget Boost Eileenslift013

Had enough daylight left to use the ol' man's ladder to do the gutters too!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

XJ Budget Boost Empty
PostSubject: Re: XJ Budget Boost   XJ Budget Boost Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

XJ Budget Boost
Page 1 of 1