Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

Give me your ideas

Go down 
+4
makitupthehardway
lt.dan
Shaggy
crazyjimmy
8 posters
AuthorMessage
crazyjimmy
LS/Locker
LS/Locker
crazyjimmy

Male
Number of posts : 66
Emploi : United States Navy Retired
Registration date : 2007-03-28

Give me your ideas Empty
PostSubject: Give me your ideas   Give me your ideas Icon_minitimeSun Dec 14, 2008 9:47 pm

I built Frankin Jeep kind of on a dare. I was told I could not get it to run by a mechanic buddy of mine in Arbutus.

My new project. I have a 1977 Cherokee Chief 2 door. It has the Wide Track Axles, Turbo 400, Quadra track, 360, Eldebrock 4bbl and intake.

The body is fine and not too much floor rust, motor and drive line runs strong.

I dont like the vaccuum shift on the quadra track (rotary dial on dash)
2wheel drine means any one of the 4 tires has torque
emergency drive has both driveshafts with torque.

High and low range are done with a stick.

My choices are leave it low and cut or to raise it up.

Any one who knows me, knows I like to sling mud but have been upside down a couple of times.

This model Wagoneer has the additional fender flares (metal) from factory due to the wide track axles (about 4-5 inches wider).

In my parts pile I have a set of 3" springs and my Son's 6" fronts with bent primaries. I could restack the front leaves and get a good set of 6" for front, but would still have only 3" for the back, (add blocks?). I also have a welded rear center spool in a 44 in the same pile.

Back bumper is the standard 3 peice, front is missing. I have a complete grill configuration for the 77 square headlight grill or I have a set of CJ headlights tubs and rings and could lean to the rhino configuration.

I like the price of the 35" retreads but am unsure about these on the trail aired down, $80 each sure does look good though.

Has any one welded on the beadlocks to standard steelies?

I have a 160 Mig Welder and a 12 ton tubing bender, front bumper and cage are just a time thing

The Jeep is tagged with street rod tags

please provide inputs here so all can see

thansk in advance

Jimmy
Back to top Go down
Shaggy
Open/Open
Open/Open
Shaggy

Male
Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2008-08-30

Give me your ideas Empty
PostSubject: Dont forget me   Give me your ideas Icon_minitimeSun Dec 14, 2008 9:59 pm

What he does not tell you is, that I will be doing most of the welding on the 77
Back to top Go down
lt.dan
LS/Locker
LS/Locker
lt.dan

Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2008-11-12

Give me your ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Give me your ideas   Give me your ideas Icon_minitimeMon Dec 15, 2008 1:25 am

shackle flip the rear, ford rangers from the late 80s are perfect BOLT ON pieces that will get you 3+ inches of lift with a stock springs. use 4" springs , and go SOA in the front. you can get the more common centered rear axle at crazy rays , and swap in a 208,for a better selection on the case. MAKE A FLAT BELLYPLATE aluminum transfer case will not suport the weight of that dinosaur

been there done that saw2

dont be afraid to cut it up
Back to top Go down
lt.dan
LS/Locker
LS/Locker
lt.dan

Give me your ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Give me your ideas   Give me your ideas Icon_minitimeMon Dec 15, 2008 1:27 am

TICO insert wagonner video here.......please
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558
Registration date : 2007-01-19

Give me your ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Give me your ideas   Give me your ideas Icon_minitimeMon Dec 15, 2008 11:38 pm

So I saw this earlier yesterday but Dan replied before me. Ruled all my ideas out. He laid out a simple and more affordable plan. Get rid of the quadra drive T-case its junk and will cause head ache.
Back to top Go down
crazyjimmy
LS/Locker
LS/Locker
crazyjimmy

Male

Give me your ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Give me your ideas   Give me your ideas Icon_minitimeTue Dec 16, 2008 6:36 am

lt.dan wrote:
shackle flip the rear, ford rangers from the late 80s are perfect BOLT ON pieces that will get you 3+ inches of lift with a stock springs. use 4" springs , and go SOA in the front. you can get the more common centered rear axle at crazy rays , and swap in a 208,for a better selection on the case. MAKE A FLAT BELLYPLATE aluminum transfer case will not suport the weight of that dinosaur

been there done that saw2

dont be afraid to cut it up

I have a centered rear in the back yard, might know where a ranger is to cut up.
Might know of a Tcase also. Now it is time for bloody knuckles.
Back to top Go down
CamoK5
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
CamoK5

Male
Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Give me your ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Give me your ideas   Give me your ideas Icon_minitimeTue Dec 16, 2008 8:40 am

I have a 208 from my other K5, Let me know. mbn
Back to top Go down
Locked_N_Loaded
Admin
Admin
Locked_N_Loaded

Male
Number of posts : 1783
Registration date : 2007-02-09

Give me your ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Give me your ideas   Give me your ideas Icon_minitimeTue Dec 16, 2008 10:01 am

camo, were you in reading on saturday by any chance? G/f said she saw a big camo "truck looking thing" being towed - thought maybe it was you
Back to top Go down
CamoK5
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
CamoK5

Male
Number of posts : 153

Give me your ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Give me your ideas   Give me your ideas Icon_minitimeTue Dec 16, 2008 1:21 pm

Nope, was not me.
Back to top Go down
crazyjimmy
LS/Locker
LS/Locker
crazyjimmy

Male

Give me your ideas Empty
PostSubject: More info   Give me your ideas Icon_minitimeTue Dec 16, 2008 7:26 pm

My current config is pasenger side for front and rear D44 wide Tracks

I have D44 front and bacl off of a 1988 wagoneer Driver front and center rear. They are just growing leaves. Rear Center is Lincoln locked.

Which side does the front drive shaft come out on a 208?
Passenger side right?

I will need to modify my shafts?

Jimmy
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

Give me your ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Give me your ideas   Give me your ideas Icon_minitimeTue Dec 16, 2008 10:26 pm

The 208 is a drivers side drop cause its a ford T-case (I think).

You might get lucky and not have to cut the drive shafts.
Back to top Go down
jealos-z
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
jealos-z

Male
Number of posts : 604
Emploi : Mechanic
Registration date : 2007-09-17

Give me your ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Give me your ideas   Give me your ideas Icon_minitimeTue Dec 16, 2008 11:08 pm

Chevy 208 is pass side drop
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671

Give me your ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Give me your ideas   Give me your ideas Icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2008 8:49 am

Transfer Case Specifications:
Low Range reduction ratio: 2.6 to 1
High Range: Direct 1:1

Chevy, Dodge and Ford all used variations of this transfer case. All were chain drive to the front output, with a light weight aluminum case. Most used a slip-yoke rear output. We are not aware of a Fixed yoke conversion for this case. While these units will hold up under moderately heavy off road use, they are not considered the preferred swap due to the chain drive and thin aluminum case.

Bolt Pattern:

6 bolt circular pattern. Note: This pattern is almost symmetrical, however it is not and will only bolt up one way. Chevy, Dodge and Ford all used the same bolt pattern, However with a different ROTATION of the pattern. Dodge and ford are close, and swaps might result in a useable Tcase droop angle, however Chevy units are about 90 degrees different and cannot be interchanged. Ford units have a driver side drop, While GM units are passenger side drop.

Chevy 208
Passenger side drop (front driveshaft). This Tcase has the GM rotation of the 6 bolt circular bolt pattern.
Input Spline: We have run into two different input spline configurations on these cases.

27 spline: The units supplied with a T350 or 700R4 automatic have a 27 spline female input shaft.

32 spline: This is the preferred shaft, as it is the strongest. These came behind Turbo 400 or SM465 transmissions.

Ford NP208 Transfer Case
The Ford NP208 has a 31 spline female input. The bolt pattern is the Ford rotation of the 6 bolt circular bolt pattern.

Use with a Klune-V Extreme underdrive:

Use the Klune with the 31 spline output. These units will bolt up directly.

Dodge NP208 Transfer Case
The Dodge 203 has a 23 spline female input. It uses the same front bolt pattern as the Chevy unit. The Klune is available with a 23 spline output shaft to match up to this application.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

Give me your ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Give me your ideas   Give me your ideas Icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2008 7:44 pm

Hey Bill did you find that on the pirate or some other web site or did you have that info saved from your own research. thanks that was good info.
Back to top Go down
jealos-z
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
jealos-z

Male
Number of posts : 604
Emploi : Mechanic
Registration date : 2007-09-17

Give me your ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Give me your ideas   Give me your ideas Icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2008 8:46 pm

Damn Bill you are an abundance of info kool
Back to top Go down
lt.dan
LS/Locker
LS/Locker
lt.dan

Give me your ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Give me your ideas   Give me your ideas Icon_minitimeFri Dec 19, 2008 10:12 pm

jeep 208 is a bolt up rear yoke, my brother still has the one from my old buggy, it is driver drop. chevy, and ford use bigger input shaft. i also have a 300 case wich will work with your front axle. mbn
Back to top Go down
crazyjimmy
LS/Locker
LS/Locker
crazyjimmy

Male

Give me your ideas Empty
PostSubject: This is why you guys are family   Give me your ideas Icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2008 10:58 am

Tons of great info. Bilb do you have a magic link to a t-Case bible somewhere?

Guess it is time to put the battery in it and move it from the back yard to the driveway.
When I do a Cutting of the body, I will invite you guys, and supply dogs, sawzall, wiz wheel and air chisel.

I will try to update the avatar.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671

Give me your ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Give me your ideas   Give me your ideas Icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2008 11:42 am

No, nothing magic but just really good at searching. This is a good link for transmissions and transfer cases:
http://www.high-impact.net/transmission_and_gear/Tcase_np208.htm
Back to top Go down
crazyjimmy
LS/Locker
LS/Locker
crazyjimmy

Male

Give me your ideas Empty
PostSubject: another link added to my favorites   Give me your ideas Icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2008 2:40 pm

Thanks for the info

Jimmy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Give me your ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Give me your ideas   Give me your ideas Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Give me your ideas
Page 1 of 1