Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

Bad Virus - Not a Hoax!!

Go down 
+4
ffhill61
Allium
The Devil Dog
Locked_N_Loaded
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Locked_N_Loaded
Admin
Admin
Locked_N_Loaded

Male
Number of posts : 1783
Registration date : 2007-02-09

Bad Virus - Not a Hoax!! Empty
PostSubject: Bad Virus - Not a Hoax!!   Bad Virus - Not a Hoax!! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2008 9:07 pm

This virus can be received through general internet browsing. Please take the time to go to the link below and download the patch.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms08-078.mspx

More Info:

http://www.mcafee.com/us/threat_center/default.asp

A good friend of mine works in IT and said it was critical that they patched all their machines. I got this on my laptop which blows my mind since I rarely even do much internet browsing on it. You're not safe even if you have a virus scan. Mcaffe caught that it was on the system but it's too late so I have to reformat it now study
Back to top Go down
The Devil Dog
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
The Devil Dog

Male
Number of posts : 1306
Emploi : New Suzuki and Used Car Sales
Registration date : 2007-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Bad Virus - Not a Hoax!!   Bad Virus - Not a Hoax!! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2008 9:42 pm

Thanks for that tip and for the link to correct the problem before it becomes one....
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/tico_mrr
Allium
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Allium

Male
Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2007-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Bad Virus - Not a Hoax!!   Bad Virus - Not a Hoax!! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2008 11:11 pm

There is a big one that has hit my company bad it pretends its a good antivirus program but when you open it you are done. it is named like antivirus 2008 or spyware guard 2008. once it is one thta is all you can do. I was able after 6 hours to clean it off one machine but have another that reboots every 60 seconds cause of it so I cant get on long enough to run a fix.

It is a pop up that tells you that you need to update your syware/antivirus or that you need to clich here to clean the computer - DONT it is a deep registry virus that will need profesional help.

To prevent it run both antivirus and anti spyware sotware and never click anything you didnt open
Back to top Go down
The Devil Dog
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
The Devil Dog

Male

PostSubject: Re: Bad Virus - Not a Hoax!!   Bad Virus - Not a Hoax!! Icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2008 12:30 am

You should never open anything up that poops up while your on the internet browsing, your software should be set to automatically update when you sign on, preventing you from having to do it while on line. I know a guy that could help, jsut go to the network page on the web, his name is there, just tell him your one of our members if you need to tell him you know me. maybe he can be easy on you.....
Back to top Go down
Locked_N_Loaded
Admin
Admin
Locked_N_Loaded

Male

PostSubject: Re: Bad Virus - Not a Hoax!!   Bad Virus - Not a Hoax!! Icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2008 4:12 am

Those are obvious but this is one that hits you unsuspecting..just download the damn patch and you'll be safe...seriously don't mess around with this one
Back to top Go down
ffhill61
Open/Locker
Open/Locker
ffhill61

Male
Number of posts : 37
Emploi : Firefighter
Registration date : 2008-07-10

PostSubject: Re: Bad Virus - Not a Hoax!!   Bad Virus - Not a Hoax!! Icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2008 10:27 pm

It got my laptop....now it is FUBAR. Hopefully my brother will have it fixed soon.
Back to top Go down
SPP YJ
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
SPP YJ

Male
Number of posts : 502
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Bad Virus - Not a Hoax!!   Bad Virus - Not a Hoax!! Icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2008 11:20 pm

Thanks nick path downloaded your the best.

Im glad we have someone to tell us of these things.
Back to top Go down
Locked_N_Loaded
Admin
Admin
Locked_N_Loaded

Male

PostSubject: Re: Bad Virus - Not a Hoax!!   Bad Virus - Not a Hoax!! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 12:19 pm

No prob...automatic updates would have gotten you the patch but i know a lot people end up turning that off for a number of reasons. Luckily I rescued my laptop without having to reformat the thing. I found a program that actually worked for once to clean the registry!
Back to top Go down
Locked_N_Loaded
Admin
Admin
Locked_N_Loaded

Male

PostSubject: Re: Bad Virus - Not a Hoax!!   Bad Virus - Not a Hoax!! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 1:06 pm

http://www.download.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html?tag=mncol

There's the program...it is honestly 1 of the few out there that I found to work!
Back to top Go down
crazyjimmy
LS/Locker
LS/Locker
crazyjimmy

Male
Number of posts : 66
Emploi : United States Navy Retired
Registration date : 2007-03-28

PostSubject: we got bit   Bad Virus - Not a Hoax!! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 8:02 pm

money was short so the virus software was not updated and about a month ago, Shaggy and I both did a fresh reload on our systems.

Could not tell you which Virus we had but the Partitioning was gone on a reboot.

Now my computer runs like it did when it was new. scratch
Back to top Go down
The Devil Dog
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
The Devil Dog

Male

PostSubject: Computer help to the rescue   Bad Virus - Not a Hoax!! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 8:17 pm

For those none technical savvy people and for the ones that just don't have the time of day to do it, here is a reliable tech, I have used to restore my old laptop that crashed 2 years ago. He has also helped a few others at work. Give him a call, if he can't do it he will let you know, and he is a fair player....just mention that you are from the club.

Extreme Technical Solutions
443-622-6394 Jesse Zito
Back to top Go down
Locked_N_Loaded
Admin
Admin
Locked_N_Loaded

Male

PostSubject: Re: Bad Virus - Not a Hoax!!   Bad Virus - Not a Hoax!! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 8:37 pm

If you have Comcast you can download McAfee Security Suite by going here:

http://security.comcast.net/

If you don't just get a friends comcast email address and password. When I fix friends/families computer I load mcafee from comcast. I've used the same email address several times to get copies of it.
Back to top Go down
UPNOVER
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
UPNOVER

Male
Number of posts : 856

PostSubject: Re: Bad Virus - Not a Hoax!!   Bad Virus - Not a Hoax!! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 8:41 pm

I have comcast so if it is needed.. just give a call..
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671
Registration date : 2007-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Bad Virus - Not a Hoax!!   Bad Virus - Not a Hoax!! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2008 12:51 am

spent several hours making sure the computers were all up to date with windows and mcAffee. Good investment of time when you are talking about this virus.
Back to top Go down
Allium
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Allium

Male
Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2007-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Bad Virus - Not a Hoax!!   Bad Virus - Not a Hoax!! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2008 10:22 am

You can also download avg free as an antivirus, which I use at home. But most people miss the second layer - malware. That annoying crap that slowly chokes you and slows you down. I also will run spybot search and destroy and ad-aware weekly to clean the other stuff off. They each catch about 90% of teh stuff and by running both you get a good over lap.

If you do get hit sometimes it seems to change your antivirus so that it will not be seen. What I found is good to do if you still have internet is hit trend micros site and run house call. As it runs remote and just a Kernal on your machine it has picked up stuff that the load av can't.

That malwarebytes has seemed to work getting rid of the fake antivirus programs like spyware guard 2008. OK 2 of 3, the third was auto rebooting every minute so I couldnt get it loaded. Got another machine coming in today that I will need to clean. Tis the season.
Back to top Go down
Locked_N_Loaded
Admin
Admin
Locked_N_Loaded

Male

PostSubject: Re: Bad Virus - Not a Hoax!!   Bad Virus - Not a Hoax!! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2008 12:47 pm

AVG is a good tool but remember that it's most effective to run in Safe Mode. I've rescued some stuff with that before but only running it in safe mode.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bad Virus - Not a Hoax!!   Bad Virus - Not a Hoax!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bad Virus - Not a Hoax!!
Page 1 of 1