Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

What is it about the damn crack?

Go down 
+7
Rockn93YJ
md4wheelin
thinga'ma'rig
Locked_N_Loaded
rockdw72
SPP YJ
makitupthehardway
11 posters
AuthorMessage
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558
Registration date : 2007-01-19

What is it about the damn crack? Empty
PostSubject: What is it about the damn crack?   What is it about the damn crack? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 9:43 pm

I'm looking for input and opinions on the crack. Last time up there I was very unhappy with what I saw (looks like it shouldn't be that hard) Then after talking with everyone about it I'm starting to wonder about what i can do with the toyota. I know that Matt has Nick sold on the nothing with less that a 38 is going to get thru the crack. Could a lighter rig with a longer wheel base pull it off?

This is once I get the E-locker in the front and shocks that don't limit the flex.

Last edited by makitupthehardway on Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SPP YJ
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
SPP YJ

Male
Number of posts : 502
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: What is it about the damn crack?   What is it about the damn crack? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 9:53 pm

It might help but I think the top would be harder in a longer wheel base.
I dont think its that bad if you can stay on the right line we were having a hard time finding that line last time for some reason.

I just like the name " THE CRACK" who wouldn't like to put something in "THE CRACK". (nick that was not said in gay way dont get to excited)
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558

PostSubject: Re: What is it about the damn crack?   What is it about the damn crack? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 10:01 pm

true. even if I dont make it I know what at least one of our rigs and crawl thru the crack.
Back to top Go down
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male
Number of posts : 1243
Registration date : 2007-01-20

PostSubject: Re: What is it about the damn crack?   What is it about the damn crack? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 10:52 pm

I don't think I said it was undoable ( but i may have) It could be doable, I am not done trying. I have never seen anything smaller than 39 do it but I am sure a buggy on 37 comps could do it.
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
Locked_N_Loaded
Admin
Admin
Locked_N_Loaded

Male
Number of posts : 1783
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: What is it about the damn crack?   What is it about the damn crack? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 1:21 am

i'm not giving up yet either i want a try in the dry...

I'm curious what it'll be like once I'm actually up to the crack being narrower than chuck - i see some pros and cons to it.

The other thing is it seems like it takes a bit of throttle so you really just hope to end up in the right place. Chuck's second attempt seemed to put him in a MUCH better setup to exit - his rear wasn't binding near as badly but it was far from gentle getting to that point.

As Matt said, i think you'd see a buggy on 37"s do it. But, I'll put it this way...I think it's much more forgiving if you have the bigger tire because it's tough to hold a line. The extra tire height for that first step is a big help too. It seems damn hard to get an honest/consistent line through it and it comes down to a little luck depending where you end up after you get traction.

It's one of those obstacles where I'm very confident shit talking it up from
watching or sitting on the damn computer and you get on it and it's like dammit this is tough. The wet spanked me and yes Krawler haters - i kept doing a sideways slide on the first step which was really screwing me. I'm still sold on entering it on the far left and that's how I'll start my attempt in the dry next time.

I look forward to another attempt...
Back to top Go down
thinga'ma'rig
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
thinga'ma'rig

Male
Number of posts : 972
Registration date : 2007-01-22

PostSubject: Re: What is it about the damn crack?   What is it about the damn crack? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 8:19 am

i definitely want to try it next time there.. what usually holds you up. is it the side of the body on the rig between the wheels that hit or your axles ground clearance or your center skid clearance?
Back to top Go down
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male

PostSubject: Re: What is it about the damn crack?   What is it about the damn crack? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 1:23 pm

thinga'ma'rig wrote:
i definitely want to try it next time there.. what usually holds you up. is it the side of the body on the rig between the wheels that hit or your axles ground clearance or your center skid clearance?

If you even get that far. as chunk pointed out the line to get though the crack is on the right side, and when you are on that line the front right is climbing a 4 foot wall and both rears are trying to climb a 2 foot ledge at the same time. The time I saw chuck make it though. Once the front was over the wall he did the rest with no problem.
Back to top Go down
Locked_N_Loaded
Admin
Admin
Locked_N_Loaded

Male

PostSubject: Re: What is it about the damn crack?   What is it about the damn crack? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 2:04 pm

The reason i want to play more with the left is because as soon as i get right my diff eats the first step like something ugly
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male
Number of posts : 1875

PostSubject: Re: What is it about the damn crack?   What is it about the damn crack? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 7:01 pm

hmmm, don't think I messed with this yet. Is this the one were nick laid his jeep over and tried to drive out? if its that one, from what ive seen in pics i'm going to need some sort of front and rear fender protection so i can drag the side of the jeep through the obstacle. One thing i like about my wheel base is obstacles like this were you guys have probs with ruts i'm usually just long enough to stay out of them. Especially now that i'm about 4 or 5 inches longer.
Back to top Go down
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male

PostSubject: Re: What is it about the damn crack?   What is it about the damn crack? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 7:04 pm

no, this is on crawler ridge.
Back to top Go down
SPP YJ
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
SPP YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: What is it about the damn crack?   What is it about the damn crack? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 9:55 pm

This would be a good time if we get a good dry day and let everyone have a good CRACK at it we could try a lot of different lines. I'm thinking a line that works for one rig my not work for another. As far as the wheel base deal keep in mind I am not only running a bigger tire (39.5) also I'm stretched about 4 or 5 inches from factory.

Sounds like next time we hit the CRACK in the morning for awhile then to BAD IDEA. Sounds like a good time to me (in the dry of course).
Back to top Go down
thinga'ma'rig
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
thinga'ma'rig

Male
Number of posts : 972
Registration date : 2007-01-22

PostSubject: Re: What is it about the damn crack?   What is it about the damn crack? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2009 8:36 am

i am in for a day of it, we'll call it "CRACK IS A BAD IDEA DAY" lol!
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671

PostSubject: Re: What is it about the damn crack?   What is it about the damn crack? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2009 10:02 am

Now I'm interested, lets play with it this summer, after big dogs.
Back to top Go down
MYYJROX
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
MYYJROX

Female
Number of posts : 738

PostSubject: Re: What is it about the damn crack?   What is it about the damn crack? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2009 10:55 am

This sounds like too much fun to miss. I'm in.
Back to top Go down
Locked_N_Loaded
Admin
Admin
Locked_N_Loaded

Male

PostSubject: Re: What is it about the damn crack?   What is it about the damn crack? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2009 12:27 pm

I'll only do bad idea in the rain sorry chuck it was just too much fun
Back to top Go down
SPP YJ
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
SPP YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: What is it about the damn crack?   What is it about the damn crack? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2009 12:42 pm

If you want to try it in the rain I will lk to you if you make it.

I will be walking the whole trail in the rain and helping spot for after the last time I now carry full rain gear even on sunny days.

It is amazing how bad idea will change the way you do things

IT HAS CHANGED MY LIFE.

well maybe not but it is fun.
Back to top Go down
Locked_N_Loaded
Admin
Admin
Locked_N_Loaded

Male

PostSubject: Re: What is it about the damn crack?   What is it about the damn crack? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2009 12:45 pm

That's funny...I think i have 3 or 4 ponchos in there now and nicki also got me a badass rain suit from work and i will NEVER EVER leave my waterproof columbia coat in my truck again!

I keep hearing that corny ass bad idea song i put in that video and it cracks me up every time!
Back to top Go down
Grason
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool

Male
Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2007-09-12

PostSubject: Re: What is it about the damn crack?   What is it about the damn crack? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 9:01 pm

the crack is fun, but ruff on your rig,

these are the only pics i have of the first time in the crack,

What is it about the damn crack? KIF_0525

What is it about the damn crack? KIF_0527

What is it about the damn crack? 150_150

What is it about the damn crack? 153_153

What is it about the damn crack? 155_155

and the little bit o damage....

What is it about the damn crack? 157_157

and the second time..............the tub is about 5 times worse
there is a very short clip towards the beginning of this vid that shows me driving out the end, it starts at 23 seconds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crcoSEirSCM
Back to top Go down
Locked_N_Loaded
Admin
Admin
Locked_N_Loaded

Male

PostSubject: Re: What is it about the damn crack?   What is it about the damn crack? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 11:06 am

wrong crack but thanks for rubbing it in ya bastard!! matt and i learned what not to do at least so it should be a little easier on the rig next time through
Back to top Go down
Grason
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool

Male
Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2007-09-12

PostSubject: Re: What is it about the damn crack?   What is it about the damn crack? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 5:48 pm

Locked_N_Loaded wrote:
wrong crack but thanks for rubbing it in ya bastard!! matt and i learned what not to do at least so it should be a little easier on the rig next time through

haha, ah crawler ridge isnt that bad either.........
Back to top Go down
Parts Guy
Open/Open
Open/Open
Parts Guy

Male
Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: What is it about the damn crack?   What is it about the damn crack? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 2:44 am

Id like to take a " crack " at it also , I dont know if it has to e dry though
Although I might like it that way for the first time .
How bout a spot Bill ??? or someone ????
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671

PostSubject: Re: What is it about the damn crack?   What is it about the damn crack? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 7:14 am

I haven't been through it but don't mind experimenting with someone elses rig, sure I'll spot ya Randy. 9
Back to top Go down
S h a n e
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
S h a n e

Male
Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2007-11-02

PostSubject: Re: What is it about the damn crack?   What is it about the damn crack? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 6:37 pm

if your comfortable being off camber, climb one side while laying your rig on the other side, drag your self over. the main hold up is when your tires do get to the big stuff, your rear is sitting on a shelf that is full of the loose stuff. ive seen rigs do it in the pouring rain, its all about how you are about banging up your rig.
Back to top Go down
S h a n e
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
S h a n e

Male
Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2007-11-02

PostSubject: Re: What is it about the damn crack?   What is it about the damn crack? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 6:37 pm

Parts Guy wrote:
Id like to take a " crack " at it also , I dont know if it has to e dry though
Although I might like it that way for the first time .
How bout a spot Bill ??? or someone ????

these broke alloys i have for you are from the crack Smile
Back to top Go down
Locked_N_Loaded
Admin
Admin
Locked_N_Loaded

Male

PostSubject: Re: What is it about the damn crack?   What is it about the damn crack? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 6:45 pm

Shane...good to see you on here buddy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is it about the damn crack?   What is it about the damn crack? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What is it about the damn crack?
Page 1 of 1