Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

Leaf springs for YJ

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
MYYJROX
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
MYYJROX

Female
Number of posts : 738
Registration date : 2007-01-19

Leaf springs for YJ Empty
PostSubject: Leaf springs for YJ   Leaf springs for YJ Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2009 1:40 pm

Before I go looking for a replacement, does anyone have an old front leaf spring lying around for a YJ? I broke the bottom leaf on mine (the short one) this weekend and wanted to replace just that leaf if possible.
The springs I have on there now are SOA Rubicon Express 1.5" if that makes a difference.
Back to top Go down
thinga'ma'rig
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
thinga'ma'rig

Male
Number of posts : 972
Registration date : 2007-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Leaf springs for YJ   Leaf springs for YJ Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2009 2:12 pm

how wide are the leafs? i will look and see what i have
Back to top Go down
MYYJROX
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
MYYJROX

Female

PostSubject: Re: Leaf springs for YJ   Leaf springs for YJ Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2009 2:14 pm

I have to measure but I would say 2 or 2.5"
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558

PostSubject: Re: Leaf springs for YJ   Leaf springs for YJ Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2009 2:19 pm

I believe that it is 2.5 if I remember. I might have something that works if Von doesn't have anything in his collection.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671
Registration date : 2007-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Leaf springs for YJ   Leaf springs for YJ Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2009 5:48 pm

Same here. it is 2.5" wide leaf. I do have some spring parts lying around but not sure what I have. I know for sure I have a set of rear YJ springs lying around in pieces. It may be an issue that you need a lift spring part.
Back to top Go down
jealos-z
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
jealos-z

Male
Number of posts : 604
Emploi : Mechanic
Registration date : 2007-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Leaf springs for YJ   Leaf springs for YJ Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2009 7:16 pm

Kat, I will say it one time Put Waggy springs on it jocolor
Back to top Go down
MYYJROX
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
MYYJROX

Female

PostSubject: Re: Leaf springs for YJ   Leaf springs for YJ Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2009 10:49 am

jealos-z wrote:

Why do you say that?

In the mean time, Von found what I needed. sdsfhhgdigdhfo
I'll get it on today or tomorrow depending on how long it takes to get the new tailpipe on...starting that project after work today. After that I just have to cut the fenders and she should be ready for BD. mbn
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558

PostSubject: Re: Leaf springs for YJ   Leaf springs for YJ Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2009 1:21 pm

MYYJROX wrote:
jealos-z wrote:

Why do you say that?

In the mean time, Von found what I needed. sdsfhhgdigdhfo
I'll get it on today or tomorrow depending on how long it takes to get the new tailpipe on...starting that project after work today. After that I just have to cut the fenders and she should be ready for BD. mbn

Okay the short and sweet of it is. Waggy springs stretch your wheelbase 3 inches. That means it will move your rear end back towards the back of the jeep. Which might get in the way of your gas tank depending on your rear end and what diif cover or protection that you have. Most guys go with a fuel cell or raising the tank thru the floor of the tub. Stretching the rear end has been known to better your hill climbs and over all help the stability of short wheel base rigs as a whole. Other things that you need to keep in mind when doing a stretch is to think about shock location, triming that will be needed, new shackels that you will need for Waggy springs or a complete new rear crossmember that will be needed to install XJ springs and last you will need a new drive shaft or someone the lengthen the one you have.
Back to top Go down
thinga'ma'rig
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
thinga'ma'rig

Male

PostSubject: Re: Leaf springs for YJ   Leaf springs for YJ Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2009 2:44 pm

the spring i gave kat i think are toyota landcruiser, or jeep. i am not sure? but they are military wrap and complete. they just need new bushings if she wants to use them as a whole. kat you should measure the end holes to the center pin and compare it to what you have now. i would like to know if it is longer. remember some center holes are not centered so measure both ways from each end
Back to top Go down
MYYJROX
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
MYYJROX

Female

PostSubject: Re: Leaf springs for YJ   Leaf springs for YJ Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 1:39 pm

I didn't get a chance to measure them yet but the one I needed was identical and the hole was in the center. My dad picked up the center pin from PHP and put it back together this morning. mbn

The new muffler and exhaust pipe are in. The new muffler was slightly different than the old one and we were able to rotate it, cut a little off the end, cut a little of the exhaust pipe & move it over to be out of the way of where the shock needs to go just using the existing hangars. We took a hammer to the one part that was too close to the frame and I chopped off the end of the pipe so it shouldn't catch on anything. It all went together nice and easy (for a change).

I picked up a sawzall last night so I can cut the fenders with that and the grinder. I still need cut off wheels so grab about 6 and we'll swap for the decals if that still works for you. Let me know if you can weld on the shock braket for me (I'll bring my welder over). I remember there being an issue with the spacing of those mounts...didn't you weld the nut on to one of the plates because there was no room to get it on?
Back to top Go down
thinga'ma'rig
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
thinga'ma'rig

Male

PostSubject: Re: Leaf springs for YJ   Leaf springs for YJ Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 3:55 pm

yes, i welded the nut on the mount because of your limited space you had. i will take the cut off wheels home with me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Leaf springs for YJ   Leaf springs for YJ Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Leaf springs for YJ
Page 1 of 1