The past two months I have been working to the buggy getting it ready for LCQ. It is taking me more time then I thought it would. But here is a few changes we made for the up coming year.
A few weeks ago
Some of the paint was stipped to repair tube from the holes and a dent from when I rolled it on the comp course. Tech guy said the screws holding the roof wouldn't pass
All last year the rig would be on the verge of over heating and if we pushed it hard in the rocks it would over heat so we up graded to a bigger radiator. We also turned the gas tank for more storage for tools and parts, added hilift mount and moved the shocks up to match the bump stops I moved earlier in the year
A few races we had issues with fuel. One issue we had was clogging the fuel pump. Then vapor lock, the fuel was being restricted in the lines by debris enough that it would heat up. It was getting hot enough and flowing back to the tank that you could actually feel the tank getting warm. well stupid me didn't have a prefiter at the pick up. This cause both issues and the engine would loose power at anything above idle. So we then added walbros as prefilters. That created another issue. We only had three in the tank. two were in the front of the tank and one in the back. when we were less then a quarter of a tank and the walbros would either not close and suck air or would close up and not allow enough fuel. This shut the car down and was hard to start. We went from 4th to 6th sitting on the side of the trail trying to get it started on our last lap. To fix this and hopefully any other issue we added a forth walbro, so now we have 2 in front and 2 in the rear one of each has the weep hole. move the pump to inside the tank and added a second pump. The second pump just has a sock on it as the prefilter. If there are any issues with the walbros or the first fuel pump you just have to hit a switch and go the the second pump
Old exhaust was cracked and dented from rocks and links smashing it. This was a bitch because it is bigger then the old exhaust so it took some work to fit
The front bumper was rebuilt because it had some tree damage, and I tried to get more up travel. After I cut everthing off I only got like a half inch. The limiting factor was the upper link into the idler pulley so can't get more then that. Front just needs some tabs for the grill, some paint and remount the coolers and winch. pics to come
I moved the lower link mounts lower to be level with the belly pan and inboard to combat axle steer a little. Still need to add some support tubes to go from the sub frame to the outer rail.
My dog ate my turtle