Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

To put a shovel on my jeep or not

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male
Number of posts : 1243
Registration date : 2007-01-20

To put a shovel on my jeep or not Empty
PostSubject: To put a shovel on my jeep or not   To put a shovel on my jeep or not Icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2007 8:15 pm

What do you guys think of pinion guards? On one hand the you protect your ujoints, straps, yoke cheers but on the other hand it will act like a rock magnet and scoop mud like a lake dredger and might cause the seal to go bad faster dsgfsdgdhjvcx

here is a pic of one
To put a shovel on my jeep or not DSC04661
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
MYYJROX
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
MYYJROX

Female
Number of posts : 738
Registration date : 2007-01-19

PostSubject: Re: To put a shovel on my jeep or not   To put a shovel on my jeep or not Icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2007 8:24 pm

My understanding from my father is that the guard you are talking about is supposed to go on top of the pinion, not underneath it. I asked the same question because I have one that I wanted to use. It relly isn,t a pinion guard & is for something else. Unfortunately I don't remember what for or what he said but I can find out if you want.

Last edited by on Wed May 02, 2007 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558

PostSubject: Re: To put a shovel on my jeep or not   To put a shovel on my jeep or not Icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2007 8:24 pm

Is it just me or does that look like a front drive shaft of a yj being used in the rear?

Hey Matt your going to have to take the pros with the cons scratch If they dont cost much try it out. Hell if you fab it yourself Twisted Evil and you dont like it whats lost? just my 2 cents cheers
Back to top Go down
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male

PostSubject: Re: To put a shovel on my jeep or not   To put a shovel on my jeep or not Icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2007 8:55 pm

Quote :
My understanding from my father is that the guard you are talking about is supposed to go on top of the pinion, not underneath it. I asked the same question because I have one that I wanted to use. It relly isn,t a pinion guard & is for something else. Unfortunately I don't remember what for or what he said but I can find out if you want.

Man that was fast. not sure about the on top thing, I have seen a truss that that has a peice like that on top, so it connects the bridge over the diff to the pinion. I think blue torch makes a truss like that. Might be what he is talking about scratch

makitupthehardway wrote:
Is it just me or does that look like a front drive shaft of a yj being used in the rear?

It kind of does. The vehicle in the pic is a cherokee with rear coils. so the wheel base might be long enough to fit a yj shaft in the rear.

Its funny, I see a product in a picture and I buy it. Then when it comes, I look at it and think. WTF I could of made this asdyuysigidfdjbisd . I will give it try.
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male
Number of posts : 1875

PostSubject: Re: To put a shovel on my jeep or not   To put a shovel on my jeep or not Icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2007 10:51 pm

get the full skid plate for the diff that has it built in all ready.
Back to top Go down
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male

PostSubject: Re: To put a shovel on my jeep or not   To put a shovel on my jeep or not Icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2007 11:18 pm

I don't think they make a full skid for my axle. plus I shaved it a 1 1/2. I am not worried about any peal back of the diff cover because it is 3/8" thick. My concern was because I keep breaking straps/ubolts that hold the ujoint in the yoke. the ujoint is going to be bigger then what i have now but I will be going back to straps and that will be the weak link
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: To put a shovel on my jeep or not   To put a shovel on my jeep or not Icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2007 11:49 pm

Okay just to clear this up what kinda axle are we talking about? it looks like a 9 inch in the picture.
Back to top Go down
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male

PostSubject: Re: To put a shovel on my jeep or not   To put a shovel on my jeep or not Icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2007 11:57 pm

it is a 9" in the picture but I am putting in a 14bolt (13 bolt now after being shaved). Its going be draging enough as it is, thats why Im not sure if I want to add a scoop on there
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671

PostSubject: Re: To put a shovel on my jeep or not   To put a shovel on my jeep or not Icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2007 9:11 am

I'd say put one on there. I can see where scraping over a rock can bust the yoke, especially if you back over a rock and drop onto it. as for the shoveling I'd say if it is shoveling then you are deep enough to want to protect it anyway so go for it. I also say don't just order and buy stuff that you can do yourself. I wasted so much money buying stuff that really didn't do what it was supposed to do or was not built as well as what they say it is. if you don't like it later then it is no big loss. Always go with protection where you can.
Back to top Go down
MYYJROX
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
MYYJROX

Female
Number of posts : 738

PostSubject: Re: To put a shovel on my jeep or not   To put a shovel on my jeep or not Icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2007 7:36 pm

Ok - here's what I got from my dad:"I think you are the one that calls it a pinion guard. I know it as a pinion snubber. It is there for two things:
1. if the vehicle is severely overloaded it will have a rubber bumper above it to hold the chassis off of the rotating drive shaft and joints.
2. in cars with leaf springs that are under extreme acceleration, when the springs wrap up it again goes up and hits the rubber bumper and without it, it could be possible for the drive shaft yoke on the transmission end to pull out and drop on the ground. We in the old days put traction bars to prevent the spring wrap up."
It is designed to go over the pinion, not under it. If you use is as a pinion guard (which is what I was going to do) let me know how it works out for ya. I still have one that I could put on mine.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: To put a shovel on my jeep or not   To put a shovel on my jeep or not Icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2007 9:50 pm

Hey Kat. This a guard for the Pinion yoke so that if he lands hard on something he doesn't bang the Yoke. What your talking about is a casing that covers the yoke that works with a lader bar or a 5th link like what you had on your jeep. More less what matt is looking for is a pinion yoke skid that doesn't take away his clearance or work as a shovel in the loose dirt and mud.

Thanks Matt for bringing this up I think I'm going to work something like that with my Dana 44 in the rear.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: To put a shovel on my jeep or not   To put a shovel on my jeep or not Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

To put a shovel on my jeep or not
Page 1 of 1