Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

Help!! Tie rod boot ripped...

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
chics4jeeps
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
chics4jeeps

Female
Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2007-01-22

Help!!  Tie rod boot ripped... Empty
PostSubject: Help!! Tie rod boot ripped...   Help!!  Tie rod boot ripped... Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2007 3:05 pm

Need some advice...05 TJ. The boot where it's greased on the driver side tie rod is ripped. Is this under warranty? Is it safe to drive without damaging anyting...short distance...about 14 miles a day? Is it a relatively easy self fix? Any suggestions would be great.

Veronica

[img][img]Help!!  Tie rod boot ripped... Jeep_t10
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558
Registration date : 2007-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Help!! Tie rod boot ripped...   Help!!  Tie rod boot ripped... Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2007 3:35 pm

Buy a grease gun and keep in well greased. If the Rip in the boot isn't that bad it shouldn't be a issue. If its bad and you in the mud all the time a ajustable wrench, hammer and pair of needle noises are the Tools you need. The boots are cheap.

1.) Pull the Pin
2.) Loosen the castle nut till you can't see the threads of the Tie rod ball join bolt
3.) Hit the top of the castle nut with the hammer till it drops.
4.) Pull off old bolt and replace new one.
5.) Place tie rod back in place and tighten castle nut till there is no play. Don't over do it.
6.) Line up castle nut with hole on tie rod end and put in the cotter pin.
7.) Grease Tie rod end.
8.) Wash hands cause grease gets everywhere and doesn't come out and fabrics.

I'm sure someone else has another way to do it but its that simple just make sure you dont mess up the threads on the tie rod end.
Back to top Go down
connordanny
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
connordanny

Male
Number of posts : 695

PostSubject: Re: Help!! Tie rod boot ripped...   Help!!  Tie rod boot ripped... Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2007 3:59 pm

I just bought a few of the boots from 4wdhardware.com. My local parts store (Salvo) told me I had to buy a whole new tie rod! Forget that!
http://www.4wheelparts.com/jeep-parts-list.aspx?subcat=43
They are $5 for 2 boots. I have a small tear in the boot at my pitman arm and a big one on the driver side tie rod end. I plan on replacing the boot this week sometime and I have an extra. Let me know if you want to come down to Balt City and we can work on it.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671
Registration date : 2007-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Help!! Tie rod boot ripped...   Help!!  Tie rod boot ripped... Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2007 6:01 pm

4.) Pull off old bolt and replace new one.
He means pull off the old BOOT and replace with new one. When you put the rod end back together and tighten the castle nut down make sure it is torqued to spec. A loose tie rod end can lead to problems. As for is it safe to drive. Yeah no problems at all driving with a torn boot. As Eric said just keep it well greased and you'll be fine. The only function of the boot is to keep grease in the joint.
Back to top Go down
chics4jeeps
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
chics4jeeps

Female

PostSubject: Re: Help!! Tie rod boot ripped...   Help!!  Tie rod boot ripped... Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2007 11:15 pm

I've been greasing it but the boot isn't keeping much in it...everything I put in oozes out. Plus I do play in the mud. Looks like I may be taking care of it this weekend or next. Should I jack it up and take the tire off or just leave it on the ground??
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558

PostSubject: Re: Help!! Tie rod boot ripped...   Help!!  Tie rod boot ripped... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2007 2:59 pm

Leave it on the ground. When you grease the tierod end it will always spit out that means its full. You don't have to grease the joints everytime you wheel unless your big on creek crossings. If you are draining your diff's is a good idea.
Back to top Go down
chics4jeeps
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
chics4jeeps

Female

PostSubject: Re: Help!! Tie rod boot ripped...   Help!!  Tie rod boot ripped... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2007 4:09 pm

I grease it about every other oil change...unless they look a bit flat, so I'm familiar with the boots spitting out the old black grease. I noticed the split in the boot just the other day doing a regular under body check up...tried to see how much it would hold with the split & it wasn't much. Ordered new boots today to have when I'm ready to fix it. Haven't done a tie rod boot fix yet so thanks to everyone for the advice.

V-
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help!! Tie rod boot ripped...   Help!!  Tie rod boot ripped... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help!! Tie rod boot ripped...
Page 1 of 1