Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

may sell the xj ???

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
sk96xjjeeper
Open/Open
Open/Open

Male
Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2007-04-28

may sell the xj ??? Empty
PostSubject: may sell the xj ???   may sell the xj ??? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2007 2:30 am

ok so i need every ones help i blew the trans out of the xj like 5 weeks ago......now im pissed off bc i cant find any nice trans for good money. i have the trans out and waiting for a new one. i have talked to a few guy about re-maning mine for 1500.00 or more !! so i just dont know what i should do i love my jeep and have had alot of fun with it.
so if any one can tell me what i should do !! let me know ? its on ebay right now with no bids.
help me out guys and girls !!
Back to top Go down
Allium
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Allium

Male
Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2007-04-06

PostSubject: Re: may sell the xj ???   may sell the xj ??? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2007 8:09 am

cant tell you what to do but I can ask a couple questions. 1500 is a lot of money for a "hobby" as the wife would say. But Im learning this can be an expensive playtime. If you were to sell, what would you use? Is this the only jeep? If not canabalize. If so how much would you spend to replace? I was pricing them on ebay since mine is my DD and I was looking at easy 4 times your repair bill. So economically get one of those no interest for 6 months credit card and it is the cheaper solution. (Now does it sound like a response I should save for down the road that would work on the wife?) Any way - goood luck
Back to top Go down
The Devil Dog
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
The Devil Dog

Male
Number of posts : 1306
Emploi : New Suzuki and Used Car Sales
Registration date : 2007-01-19

PostSubject: Re: may sell the xj ???   may sell the xj ??? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2007 9:52 am

There are many things you can do. You can go to the local junk yard, check out how much it will cost you to buy a used one. You can check the Craigs list for inexpensive transmissions that someone may be selling. You can also call several people in the club to see what they can do for you. Now there is nothing for free in this world except advice!

How much do you love your Jeep will determine your actions to safe it. Like Gill said, this is an expensive sport. What is wrong with the transmission? Be specific. Because not long ago I though the same about mine, through the resources of the club I found a friend to help. It turn out the transmission was fine it just needed to replace a 17.00 dollar part. Yet, had I taken it to a service center they would have clipped me for the same as you; 1500 buck and I would not have been any wiser. Therefore;
get a little patience and research before you act.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/tico_mrr
4jeepnuts
LS/Locker
LS/Locker
4jeepnuts

Male
Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2007-05-02

PostSubject: Re: may sell the xj ???   may sell the xj ??? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2007 1:39 pm

Yeah like the other 2 posts I agree. Put a post up on the wanted board that you are looking for a tranny and give as much information as you can the year of your XJ and what tranny and transfer case you have. I don't know much about XJ,s but there are enough members who own them and know them well.

Another member may have upgraded their tranny for a better one and still have the stock one in their parts collection, also someone may be able to tell you what other years or model transmission may also fit, heck you may even be able to up grade cheaper than 1500.00.

Once you find out what all transmissions fit if you can't get one from a club member you will at least have a wider selection to hunt for in a junk yard.

Next piece of advice is while you are installing the next transmission put a "good" aftermarket tranny cooler on it the one the is in your radiator is only good for normal use @ highway speeds.

The number one cause of auto transmission failure is HEAT.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558
Registration date : 2007-01-19

PostSubject: Re: may sell the xj ???   may sell the xj ??? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2007 2:54 pm

Yeah Scott Gill and Tico are right for the most part. I would say call all the transmission shops in your local area. If you have already pulled the trans I'm sure that you can find a shop to rebuild your stock trans. Keep a eye on all the local forums to see if someone is parting out a XJ. Oh yeah if you think that 1,500 is alot for a hobby you need to sit down and rethink how much you want to wheel. I have over 10K invested in mine and I do almost all my own labor. Criagslist.org search in all your local areas. I found my AX-15 last fall for my YJ for 650 bucks. But I paided someone to rebuild the trans in the WJ cause I had a week to fix it before I left to the beach. Other than custom axles Motors, Trans and Tcases is where your going to spend the big bucks.
Back to top Go down
sk96xjjeeper
Open/Open
Open/Open

Male
Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2007-04-28

PostSubject: Re: may sell the xj ???   may sell the xj ??? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2007 1:34 am

thanks guys! i think i will keep it as no one has bid yet i have alot of money in it and she is not my dd i have a acura to go work and things like that. so .. any one have a trans laying around ???? i do all my own work to just dont know crap about the inside of a trans! any one know someone that can redo mine ? and i will take all the help i can get to get this done and if any one wants to come over and help me get it back in come on!!! over (lol)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: may sell the xj ???   may sell the xj ??? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

may sell the xj ???
Page 1 of 1