Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

Frame work?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
lloyder05
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
lloyder05

Male
Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2007-01-31

Frame work? Empty
PostSubject: Frame work?   Frame work? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2007 11:28 am

My buddy is looking at buying an 84 CJ as a restoration project. The frame needs work around the rear spring hangers. Is this an easy fix? He doesn't weld, so he would be taking it somewhere to get done. Anyone have any tips?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1984-CJ7-Good-Shape_W0QQitemZ330135140759QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item330135140759

Frame work? Untitl10
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558
Registration date : 2007-01-19

Frame work? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frame work?   Frame work? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2007 7:43 pm

If you buying a old CJ as a project the cheap ones are always good for parts and the title. It sucks that the ones with good frames are going to cost you more. If he did buy a old CJ I would say he should look for one with a Good tub and that is complete. If the frame is trash its a good reason to start from scratch. New or good used frames are easy to find and it gives him to ablity to do a true frame off restore/rebuild and he can make sure everything is in good shape along the way. Thats the way I want to do it. Just my .02 cents
Back to top Go down
4jeepnuts
LS/Locker
LS/Locker
4jeepnuts

Male
Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2007-05-02

Frame work? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frame work?   Frame work? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2007 3:45 am

What Nester says is exactly right.

If the rear spring shackle mount is bad the fix can be as easy as reinforcing the frame or cutting away the bad and re-boxing it. I just had to reinforce mine on my '86.

But in the case of this '84 CJ unless he has the equipment and knowledge it is going to be a costly repair.

If you look at the pictures of this frame closely you will see it already has had a plate welded on the under side of each frame rail, this is only a temporary fix. In the pic you did not post of the other side you can see where the spring mount has gone through the frame !

My Tip. Tell your friend to steer clear of this one unless he is looking for parts and a drive line.

The seller of it probably bought this w/o knowing the true condition of the frame and took it off road or even hit a pot-hole and punched the spring mount through the frame. Now he is trying to recoup his loss because he didn't plan on the repair.
Also from the Pics you can see they have not shown any inside shots of the tub, I'll bet this tub has many patches or bad body mounts so the tub is most likely scrap too.
With E-bay you have too look at what your not being shown. 'Cause if it's something good you'll see more pics of that to distract you from the bad. Suspect

My final thought: Frames usually rust from the inside out, to repair one best you have to cut all the way back to what is good and replace it. Even if you sandblast the outside and plate over the holes it will continue to rust on the inside thus eventually rusting through where you added new metal.

Pass this on to your friend glad he sought out advice when there are still 5 days left on the auction. Hope this helps Very Happy
Back to top Go down
lloyder05
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
lloyder05

Male
Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2007-01-31

Frame work? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frame work?   Frame work? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2007 2:24 pm

Thanks for all of the input. The sale was local so he drove over to see it and it was to far gone for him to even think about buying.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Frame work? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frame work?   Frame work? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Frame work?
Page 1 of 1