Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

'86 CJ-7 vac lines

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
icinnes
Open/Open
Open/Open

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2007-07-09

'86 CJ-7 vac lines Empty
PostSubject: '86 CJ-7 vac lines   '86 CJ-7 vac lines Icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2007 7:12 am

Hello everyone. I am a newbe to this board in need of some help. I'm in the process of rebuilding the 258 in my '86 cj-7... Should be able to finish up this week. It seems that I was not thorough enough in my labeling of the vent/vacuum hoses because somehow I have a couple lines that I am not certain about. I am wondering if someone in the area has a CJ that would be willing to let me take a peek under the hood as a reference. I'm in Perry Hall, MD. Help will be much appreciated.
Back to top Go down
mdcj7
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
mdcj7

Male
Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2007-01-19

'86 CJ-7 vac lines Empty
PostSubject: Re: '86 CJ-7 vac lines   '86 CJ-7 vac lines Icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2007 1:33 pm

you can look under my hood but I only have the basic vacumm lines it needs. This thread should help you out
http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=665594&highlight=vacuum+lines
Back to top Go down
icinnes
Open/Open
Open/Open

'86 CJ-7 vac lines Empty
PostSubject: Thanks   '86 CJ-7 vac lines Icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2007 5:58 pm

Those diagrams are a lot nicer than the worthless sticker under the hood. I'll see if I can figure it out, but I may still need to see your jeep if you don't mind. I am happy to pay a small consulting fee.... just let me know what kind of beer you drink. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558

'86 CJ-7 vac lines Empty
PostSubject: Re: '86 CJ-7 vac lines   '86 CJ-7 vac lines Icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2007 7:12 pm

Is it just me or does it seem that everyone has issues with the vent/vac lines on the old 258's.
Back to top Go down
mdcj7
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
mdcj7

Male

'86 CJ-7 vac lines Empty
PostSubject: Re: '86 CJ-7 vac lines   '86 CJ-7 vac lines Icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2007 8:05 pm

icinnes you are welcome to stop over anytime to look at my jeep its not going anywhere for a while I'll pm you with a phone number

Nester the later CJ's had all kind of junk on them mine has none now and a Ford carb run better but I have no emission Street Rod tags.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

'86 CJ-7 vac lines Empty
PostSubject: Re: '86 CJ-7 vac lines   '86 CJ-7 vac lines Icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2007 8:40 pm

Yeah I'm thinking that if I build my buggy I will go with a cj just so I can run classic tags. Well at least I will call it a "CJ"

Hey icnnes did you get it running let us know how it goes?
Back to top Go down
icinnes
Open/Open
Open/Open

'86 CJ-7 vac lines Empty
PostSubject: CJ Status   '86 CJ-7 vac lines Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2007 10:33 am

No time lately to spend in the garage... It's looking like I may have to wait until this weekend. All that's left with the rebuild is the bearings (and the vac lines, of course). I bought the standard size bearings, so as long as the oil clearances all look good, I should be ready to roll very shortly. I just registered it and got Historic plates. It was nice, $50.00 for the registration (instead of $140.00) and the insurance is only a few hundred annually. Plus, no emissions inspection! Nice.
Back to top Go down
connordanny
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
connordanny

Male
Number of posts : 695

'86 CJ-7 vac lines Empty
PostSubject: Re: '86 CJ-7 vac lines   '86 CJ-7 vac lines Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2007 12:36 pm

I heard that MD made it so that any vehicle 20 yrs old can get historic tags now. I can't wait for that - my YJ is only 3 yrs away! I always assumed it was 25 yrs.
Back to top Go down
mdcj7
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
mdcj7

Male

'86 CJ-7 vac lines Empty
PostSubject: Re: '86 CJ-7 vac lines   '86 CJ-7 vac lines Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2007 9:10 pm

icinnes wrote:
No time lately to spend in the garage... It's looking like I may have to wait until this weekend. All that's left with the rebuild is the bearings (and the vac lines, of course). I bought the standard size bearings, so as long as the oil clearances all look good, I should be ready to roll very shortly. I just registered it and got Historic plates. It was nice, $50.00 for the registration (instead of $140.00) and the insurance is only a few hundred annually. Plus, no emissions inspection! Nice.

are you useing classic insurance I'm haveing problems finding somone as soon as they hear that it has a cage in it or I off road it they don't want to insure me.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

'86 CJ-7 vac lines Empty
PostSubject: Re: '86 CJ-7 vac lines   '86 CJ-7 vac lines Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2007 12:47 am

Yeah its 25 years in Virginia. But good for me that my sister lives in southern va where they don't have emissions. My brother in-law said that I could register my jeep at there house if the day comes that I can't pass. cheers
Back to top Go down
4jeepnuts
LS/Locker
LS/Locker
4jeepnuts

Male
Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2007-05-02

'86 CJ-7 vac lines Empty
PostSubject: Re: '86 CJ-7 vac lines   '86 CJ-7 vac lines Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2007 1:08 am

makitupthehardway wrote:
Is it just me or does it seem that everyone has issues with the vent/vac lines on the old 258's.

The last year of the CJ had all the same BS under the hood that AMC Eagles had. It had a ECM computer that controlled the carb and a ton of worthless vacuum lines, you could barely see the engine.

To icinnes,

Since you don't have to worry about emissions either go simple find and older intake manifold or an aftermarket one and just put a motorcraft 2 barrel on it or a Weber.

Or do like I did adapt a GM TBI unit to your engine from a 4.3 Chevy V6.
with an '86 you already have all the sensor locations and you mount the ECM right where it is now.

There are some very expensive kits available or you can search junkyards for most of the parts. There are lots of articles all over the net about how to do it.

If you were going on the trail-ride this weekend @ RC you could check mine out and see how simple it is to do. I'm currently scrounging the parts to convert my other CJ.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

'86 CJ-7 vac lines Empty
PostSubject: Re: '86 CJ-7 vac lines   '86 CJ-7 vac lines Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

'86 CJ-7 vac lines
Page 1 of 1