Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

Association Run-The Patomac State Park-Western Maryland

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
The Devil Dog
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
The Devil Dog

Male
Number of posts : 1306
Emploi : New Suzuki and Used Car Sales
Registration date : 2007-01-19

Association Run-The Patomac State Park-Western Maryland Empty
PostSubject: Association Run-The Patomac State Park-Western Maryland   Association Run-The Patomac State Park-Western Maryland Icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2007 4:42 pm

HI MID-ATLANTIC MEMBERS,

FOR RIGHT NOW, THE SUMMER MIDDLE ATLANTIC TRAIL RIDE IS SCHEDULED FOR AUGUST 17, 18, 19TH, 2007, AT THE POTOMAC STATE FOREST IN FAR WESTERN MARYLAND.

I know the original schedule was for the first weekend in August. The campsite is booked for that weekend. Sorry! I hope the conflicts are minimal.

Okay, before we go any farther. I truly need a show of committment to this event. E-mail me back, as soon as possible, PLEASE! I need to let the forest manager know. If no one is coming, I want to release that site.

First, here are the direction to the campsite. This may be a deciding factor for some of you that hate to drive. From the Baltimore area, take I-70 West on past Hancock to I-68 West. You will be exiting from the left lane, shortly after the Hancock and Berkley Springs exit. Use care. The 40 mph ramp speed is top end if you are towing.

Stay with I-68, past Cumberland and on into Garrett County and over to Exit 14, US 219 SOUTH, Oakland. Stay on US 219 South for a good piece. You will enter into Oakland and come up on a hill at a traffic light. Follow the sign to stay with 219 South (left turn). At the next large intersection you will go STRAIGHT AHEAD on to MD 135 East. (I recommend getting fuel at either the Liberty Station on your left or go just past the next turn and fuel up at the BP station on the right) Your next turn will be a right onto MD 560 SOUTH at a traffic light. There is a small strip mall on the left. You will cross some railroad tracks and then come up on a steep hill. You will swing left to stay with MD 560 and will go through Loch Lynn Heights. Stay with 560 for a fair piece.
You will eventually go down a very long steep hill. At the bottom, the road starts to swing right. At that point you will be making a left turn onto WHITE CHURCH ROAD. You will be going up a grade, now. Next you will come to a fork in the road. Go to the LEFT. The road will become a smaller road with some very sharp turns and occassional pot holes. Eventually, it will become a dirt road. You will head down a grade and come to another fork that has some DNR informational signage in the middle. GO RIGHT and up. At the top of this hill, the road will vere right. Stay with this road for a bit and you will see a road that hits this road perpendicular to the right. There is a gate on this road, that should be swung open for you. This is the entrance to the campsite.
My Cell number is 443-605-3573 (Verizon) CB CHANNEL 34

This campsite is a primitive campsite. Yet, most any size rig can indeed get in there and even level up. There is a toilet/vault in easy walking distance from the campsite, but not "too close." This is probably the best group, primitive site you will ever have the chance to camp at. Perfect for the entire family!
There is a very small user fee that we will all split up amongst the group. The more that show up, the less per camper.

The trails are ALL very scenic. Difficulty ranges from mild to occassionally on the heavy side of moderate. Most of it is fine with a stock, or near stock rig. Large full sized 4x4s are discouraged from going out on some of the trails. Some of them are quite tight for a Jeep and if it is damp, the resource damage would not be acceptable. Everyone MUST AIR DOWN, prior to hitting the trail.
TREAD LIGHTLY! is heavily enforced. This is not the kind of place where you try to see how far you can go in 2 wheel drive or keep spinning to try to get unstuck.

We will be getting some unique access. If anyone messes this up, we lose this priceless access.

The weather can change very quickly in Garrett County, MD. We have indeed been up there in August and sat around the campfire with coats on. Not jackets. It can also get almost hot up there.
Generally, it is awesome up there. Still, bring your rain gear, just incase. Garrett County is the wettest region in the state. Bring your swim wear. If the weather is good for that, we have a nice place to swim up there. A camera is nearly required equipment.

Required Equipment:
Spare Tire
Tire gauge
Full tank of fuel before you arrive
Drinking water
Camping gear
Matches
Flash Light
Water storage (there is a spring nearby for bathing water)
Food
Work Gloves (I will explain)
Tow hooks/HD hitch

Recommended equipment:
Air compressor
31" or larger tire. All Terrain is enough. Smaller tires may be a hand ful in some spots.
Strap (no metal hooks)
Saw or chain saw
loppers
hat
sun glasses
extra shoes and clothes
toilet paper
long pants
CB RADIO
BUG SPRAY (Just in case, usually not an issue)

Now, as there is no free lunch, so to speak. In return for access to some very neat trails, we may be doing a little volunteer trail work, possibly on another part of this forest. There is some unique access associated with that, as well, quite possibly. It is mostly brushing out a section of trail. This will NOT be an all day chore. But, all are asked to help if our services are needed.
Also, there will be possibly, be a few visitors from the general public tagging along with us. They will be our guests and we will show them the correct way to enjoy our public lands. They just may become future MAFWDA members.

AGAIN, I REALLY NEED YOU TO DROP ME A LINE AN LET ME KNOW IF YOU ARE COMING. HOW MANY ARE IN YOUR PARTY. HOW MANY VEHICLES AND THE DRIVER'S NAMES. Please do this ASAP. I need that information as soos as possible (call Preston directly at his Cell number 443-605-3573)

Preston at: pstevens122656@comcast.net

Last edited by on Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:53 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/tico_mrr
The Devil Dog
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
The Devil Dog

Male

PostSubject: Re: Association Run-The Patomac State Park-Western Maryland   Association Run-The Patomac State Park-Western Maryland Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2007 10:48 pm

Is anyone planning to go to this event? I need to know soon.
Back to top Go down
4jeepnuts
LS/Locker
LS/Locker
4jeepnuts

Male
Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2007-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Association Run-The Patomac State Park-Western Maryland   Association Run-The Patomac State Park-Western Maryland Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2007 3:17 am

What kind of response are you getting? I saw this posted and was excited because this is much closer to me than most events, and figured because the trails are mild I'd bring my Lil' white one down.
I found out I have a family event on Sun but still may try to make it Fri night and Sat.
Back to top Go down
The Devil Dog
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
The Devil Dog

Male

PostSubject: Re: Association Run-The Patomac State Park-Western Maryland   Association Run-The Patomac State Park-Western Maryland Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2007 11:36 am

That's why I have it here, need to find out how many are going? So far is you and me. Anyone else?
Back to top Go down
The Devil Dog
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
The Devil Dog

Male

PostSubject: Just a reminder   Association Run-The Patomac State Park-Western Maryland Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2007 12:01 am

HI FOLKS!

Just a reminder. It is only 2 weeks away from the first Middle Atlantic FWDA Annual Summer Trail Ride and Campout. This year at the beautiful and primitive Potomac State Forest in far Western Maryland. One our best kept secrets.
Wheel where few have ever been before or will be able to go. Drive on roads that where built in the 1930's by the C.C.C.'s (Civilian Conservation Corps). Most of these roads or sections of them look just like they did back then. The biggest difference is the trees are more mature, as much of the forest had been cleared around the turn of the century to feed the coke mills.

Some have even been havested since then. Yet, you will see a nice thick, healthy forest. Yet, thin enough that you can see well into the forest.
This area has abundant deer, grouse, turkey, owls, rabbits, squarels, plus an occassional bear or even bobcat.

Where we will be camping, you will be surrounded by hardwoods and pine. After we get back from our morning chores on Saturday and you get back to camp, you can air down and leave it that way until you are ready to wheel. If we have enough folks there, early enough on Friday, we can take a ride out, as well. We will wheel some on Sunday, as well. If you can hang until Monday, we can take a few rides on Sunday. If weather permits, we can even take a swim in the Potomac River.

Truely camp in the woods, in a group in anything from a small tent to a full motorhome. The air is usually of such quality that makes you want to figure out a way to bottle it up and take it home with you. Much of the scenery demands a camera.

If you get bored, it is because you want to be so.

Personally, if you can swing it, I recommend staying longer and making a vacation out of this trip. Again, so much to do in Garrett County. So much to see.

Oh, try to bring some chairs up with you for sitting around the campfire. Oh, by all means, bring the entire family. Assuming it does not rain. Even those that are not so big on on camping will fall in love with it once they spend a weekend, or week there.

Again, it is the weekend of August 17, 18 and 19th. Please let me know if you can make it.
Right now, we certainly have enough folks for a trail ride. Yet, we have plenty of room for members and family.

Now, have a great day. Get your vehicles ready and pack up your camping gear, family and camera.

--
Preston Stevens
pstevens122656@comcast.net
President, Middle Atlantic Four Wheel Drive Association
Back to top Go down
The Devil Dog
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
The Devil Dog

Male

PostSubject: Re: Association Run-The Patomac State Park-Western Maryland   Association Run-The Patomac State Park-Western Maryland Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2007 11:06 am

If I can make it, I will be there, but firat I have to do some repairs, so I am a maybe for now.
Back to top Go down
The Devil Dog
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
The Devil Dog

Male

PostSubject: Re: Association Run-The Patomac State Park-Western Maryland   Association Run-The Patomac State Park-Western Maryland Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2007 1:08 am

Hi Folks,
Just in case you miss placed those directions and I have heard from one that did just that, here they are again.

(From the Baltimore Area)

I-70 West to just past Hancock. Now get in your left lane, as you will next exit onto I-68 West. If you are towing, please take care on that ramp. Not too fast.

Stay on I-68, out past Cumberland to Exit 14, US 219 South toward Oakland, Md. You will pass Deep Creek Lake and such. You will enter into Oakland. Go until you come up in a hill and a light. You will have to turn left here to stay with US 219 South. Soon you will come to a large intersection.
Here you want to go straight onto MD 135 East. You will soon see a Liberty Gas Station on your left. You can gas up there, or continue on past the next turn to the BP Station. Either way, gas up BEFORE you get to camp, please.

Continue on 135 east until you get to MD 560 South in Mountain Lake Park. This is at a light across from a little strip mall. Turn Right onto MD 560 South. You will cross some railroad tracks and come up onto a steep hill. The road appears to tee right here. You will bear to the left to stay with MD 560.
You will go a fair piece, first through Loch Lynn Heights and then onto some open road. Eventually, you will go down this steep, long two tear hill. At the bottom the road starts to swing right. At that point you will see a sign marked White Church Road. Turn left onto White Church Road.

This will take you back up a hill. You will come to a fork in the road. Go to your left onto Audrey Riley Road.
This will be a lower standard road with many sharp turns and occassional pot holes.

This will take you past the Riley Farm and into the Potomac State Forest (Laurel Run/Wallman Area). This road will eventually become a dirt and gravel road. Now you are heading down a bit of a grade. Soon you will come to another fork. There is an DNR info board and all in the middle of this fork. Go to your right and up the hill.
You will pass on yellow gate to your right that is diagonal to the road. The next gate, on your right, is the entrance to the campsite. If it is closed when you get there, just swing it open.

This campsite has a few picnic tables and a very small pavilion. While on the main road, if you come to a concrete outhouse on your left, you missed your turn.

We will run CB Channel 34. My Cell Phone (Verizon) number is 443-605-3573. Service is usually there, but not always. So, do not give up easy. If you are calling on your CB, please turn back your squelch so you can hear out in the distance. We have on some occassions hooked up from US 219 and points in between.

Make sure you bring your flashlight.

I look forward to seeing you folks there. I will be a great time!

Have a safe trip up!!
--
Preston Stevens
President, Middle Atlantic Four Wheel Drive Association
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Association Run-The Patomac State Park-Western Maryland   Association Run-The Patomac State Park-Western Maryland Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Association Run-The Patomac State Park-Western Maryland
Page 1 of 1