Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

CB Radio not transmitting

Go down 
+2
Allium
lloyder05
6 posters
AuthorMessage
lloyder05
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
lloyder05

Male
Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2007-01-31

CB Radio not transmitting Empty
PostSubject: CB Radio not transmitting   CB Radio not transmitting Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2007 1:54 am

My radio shack Model: TRC-503 CB radio with a standard ball mount for the antenna does not transmit anything. I can receive transmissions fine but when I go to talk all you here on other radios is a bunch of squeelin. I have messed with the squelch and volume and the ground on the ball mount seems fine.

When I installed it, I did not hook a SWR meter to it. Does anyone know if I have to hook one up to calibrate the radio?

Anyone have any suggestions? scratch

Thanks in advance!
Back to top Go down
Allium
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Allium

Male
Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2007-04-06

PostSubject: Re: CB Radio not transmitting   CB Radio not transmitting Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2007 9:25 am

Can you post your findings once you figured out what it is? I have a like problem in that if we are all in a parking lot together all they hear is a squeel no matter how I have stuff set then magically out on the trail I come in loud and clear about half the time.
Back to top Go down
mdcj7
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
mdcj7

Male
Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2007-01-19

PostSubject: Re: CB Radio not transmitting   CB Radio not transmitting Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2007 9:14 pm

let use know what fixed it mine started it at the end of the last ride. But I feel I have the wrong anntena I have a non grounded anntena and I think when it started wiping around it grounded itself. I not sure if I mess up the radio or not I have to get a new anntena for sure.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558
Registration date : 2007-01-19

PostSubject: Re: CB Radio not transmitting   CB Radio not transmitting Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2007 12:39 am

I would check all your antenna contections. Normally something gets loose or the antenna goes bad. The saying goes "its better to have a cheap radio and a nice antenna than and spending it all on the radio" Just my two cents.
Back to top Go down
4jeepnuts
LS/Locker
LS/Locker
4jeepnuts

Male
Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2007-05-02

PostSubject: Re: CB Radio not transmitting   CB Radio not transmitting Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2007 1:29 am

The problem of squealing when your near the rest of the group is caused by feed back. If you have mike gain on your CB turn it down when close to others.

If you are far away from others and all they hear is a squeal it could be your microphone or it's connection try keying up and while talking wiggle the mike connection if others hear your squeal intermittently it's the connection. That plug takes a lot of abuse on a trail-ride, and I've personally never really liked the type of plug that Radio Shack uses.

You should allways have your antenna tuned "adjusted" for your radio but unless you've had your radio modified, the low power of a factory radio won't burn your transmit finals as long as your cable is good and your antenna mounted correctly. You will not have the optimum range when transmitting but that doesn't matter when talking with your group. Adjusting your antenna's SWR has nothing to do with how well you receive.

Any other radio questions just ask, Ex AF avionics radio tech and CB junkie long before I owned a car.

Hope this helps
Scott
Back to top Go down
projblacknblue
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
projblacknblue

Male
Number of posts : 297
Registration date : 2007-01-20

PostSubject: Re: CB Radio not transmitting   CB Radio not transmitting Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2007 1:54 pm

I have a cobra nighthawk (whole front back lights white at night)...

It had a similiar issue... turned out to be a problem with the transmit circuit itself in the CB... I could recieve just fine (about 1.5 miles of reception) but transmit nothing.

Went to bass pro and bought a new cobra cb for $50... now it works great (didn't even have to tune the antenna again).

I have heard TA truck stops service antenna tuning... but not sure about CB repair. They could at least test it for you though.

Tony
Back to top Go down
http://photos.yahoo.com/prophoto26
4jeepnuts
LS/Locker
LS/Locker
4jeepnuts

Male
Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2007-05-02

PostSubject: Re: CB Radio not transmitting   CB Radio not transmitting Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2007 5:33 pm

mrjeepy wrote:

I have heard TA truck stops service antenna tuning... but not sure about CB repair. They could at least test it for you though.

Tony

Some do, not all it just depends because the CB shops in Truck-stops rent space, but that is a good place to start, the nearest T/S.
Some shops are good, some will rip you off but any should be able to do a bench test of your radio.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CB Radio not transmitting   CB Radio not transmitting Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

CB Radio not transmitting
Page 1 of 1