Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

Gettin' Shafted!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Twisted Willys
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
Twisted Willys

Male
Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2007-06-10

Gettin' Shafted! Empty
PostSubject: Gettin' Shafted!   Gettin' Shafted! Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2007 7:31 pm

Due to my long wheelbase, My driveshaft hangs pretty low. With the hinged area moving around, raising the shaft and using a carrier was out of the question. The only way I saw to upgrade was to make one that is unbreakable. So, I did. The obvious choice was the ol' square tube shaft for lots of slip. I chose 2" seamless trailer hitch tubing. 4' of it. Heavy walled and flanges at each end. Then I used 2" outer dia. 1/4" walled tube for the inner piece overlapping as much as possible. I have about 14" of slip to play with. Then I welded some shim-stock on the two sloppy sides(hitch tube is not square inside), added grease fittings, welded the ends on, painted it up, and ready to roll! It's damn heavy but it wont break. I used the cheapest u-joints napa offered so I wouldnt blow the pinion or transfer shaft apart, put spares in the truck and we'll see what happens at Carlisle!
Gettin' Shafted! Mini-s10Gettin' Shafted! Mini-s11
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/DLLME
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Gettin' Shafted! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gettin' Shafted!   Gettin' Shafted! Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2007 7:54 pm

only problem I see is vibration with higher speeds but seeing how it never sees the highway it sounds like a good solution. Let us know how it works.
Back to top Go down
Twisted Willys
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
Twisted Willys

Male

Gettin' Shafted! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gettin' Shafted!   Gettin' Shafted! Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2007 9:10 pm

Yeh, it never really gets above 15-20mph. Most times just crawlin'. Wouldn't want it on a street vehicle! Nice and straight though, probably could get it balanced if needed
Back to top Go down
Twisted Willys
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
Twisted Willys

Male

Gettin' Shafted! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gettin' Shafted!   Gettin' Shafted! Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2007 10:00 pm

Ok, I just took it out for a test run. Yes. SHAKEY,SHAKEY. Above 15mph it.s more of a rock tumbler than a rock crawler. Thats fine with me. Hittin' the rock garden at 15mph is a bad idea anyway. I'll keep the original shaft as a spare and for those times of sneakin' around the back roads to the local farms.
Back to top Go down
4jeepnuts
LS/Locker
LS/Locker
4jeepnuts

Male
Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2007-05-02

Gettin' Shafted! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gettin' Shafted!   Gettin' Shafted! Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2007 1:11 am

Sweet I was thinking of going square on my next project, I've been reading up on what you need.

Yers' sounds bulletproof 9
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558
Registration date : 2007-01-19

Gettin' Shafted! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gettin' Shafted!   Gettin' Shafted! Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2007 12:21 pm

They say they're great for the trail cause you can do it yourself and make them strong. But like bill says they suck on the street. Yours looks cool and sounds beefy
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male
Number of posts : 1875
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Gettin' Shafted! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gettin' Shafted!   Gettin' Shafted! Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2007 8:28 pm

I run a square shaft on mine after destroying the one I hads on the trail. Havn't had any probs and has been real tuff in the rocks. I havn't had to much probs with running it short trips on the street 40mph and below usaly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Gettin' Shafted! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gettin' Shafted!   Gettin' Shafted! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gettin' Shafted!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: 4x4 Tech :: OFFROAD TECH-
Jump to: