Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

Axle & gear question

Go down 
+5
Grason
makitupthehardway
06rubicon
SLeach
chics4jeeps
9 posters
AuthorMessage
chics4jeeps
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
chics4jeeps

Female
Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2007-01-22

Axle & gear question Empty
PostSubject: Axle & gear question   Axle & gear question Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2007 10:07 am

Off the showroom floor '05 TJ has heavy duty D44 rear with 3.73 gears. From other set ups I've seen I think it has D30 front but I do know it's 3.73 gears. Running 33's with 3 inches of lift. Talking with other Rock Raiders I'm hearing this is a pretty good stock set up with potential. On a budget so serious upgrades would come gradually. Couple of questions: is there a way to tell if the front is limited slip? Would this be a good thing? What would be the next step in upgrades? I know it needs skids...some good reasonable ones that don't require fab work?

Any ideas or thoughts would be great.

V jeepchic
Back to top Go down
SLeach
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
SLeach

Male
Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2007-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Axle & gear question   Axle & gear question Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2007 11:39 am

I know on the yj's, there is a tag on the cover of the rear diff saying that it was a limited slip.
Also, you can lift up the rear and spin one of the tires, if the other one spins the same way, then you have a limited slip, if it spins the other way, then its open. Also, you should have the window sticker if you bought it new, it would say if you had one.

Skid row skid plates are top notch, especially for the engine. There are a couple of members running them. Im going to buy one in the upcoming months. Kilby gas skids are also highly recommended. Both will set you back about $250-$300 each.
Back to top Go down
06rubicon
Open/Locker
Open/Locker
06rubicon

Number of posts : 26

PostSubject: Re: Axle & gear question   Axle & gear question Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2007 12:14 pm

The front axle is a dana 30 and will have the same gearing as the rear. Gearing has to be the same in both axles so the transfer case doesn't explode.

As far as upgrades: as mentioned by sonofsam02, Kilby and Skidrow make nice products. I would recommend engine and gas tank skids for sure. I would also look into upgrading diff covers and tie rod as well.

sonofsam02 mentioned how to check for limited-slip...If you don't have it, it would make nice upgrade for a daily driver. You can run limited slip in the front and rear axles (or LS in the front and locker in the rear) and they are usually reasonably priced. You could also up grade axle ratio to 4.11's to get power back to stock since you increased tire size.

Just my thoughts....
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558
Registration date : 2007-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Axle & gear question   Axle & gear question Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2007 4:54 pm

Hey V, I think your on the right path with your thoughts of skids. For the type of wheeling that your doing and the simple fact that you dont seem to like to beat on your jeep you should price out a couple that you like and when you have a selection made ask us about it. There aren't many companies I'm going to say stay away from. The next thing other than skids I would say is a winch. A nice Winch will do alot of good and if one of those Items you don't use alot but when you need it, its a blessing. Personally I say stick with warn cause as long as you keep them clean and in working order they will be good to you. You can get a M8000 for around 500-600 bucks. I think if you focus on skids and a winch you will gain a great piece of mind wheeling and be able to move on to other mods with confidence that you covered you ground bases well. After that its on to lockers and a mass of tools and maybe even a long arm kit the list never ends.
Back to top Go down
Grason
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool

Male
Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2007-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Axle & gear question   Axle & gear question Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2007 8:11 pm

leave the gears alone for right now, run it maybe put a luchbox locker in the 30 and save for a pair of waggy 44s and build them. there is no sense in dumping money in a 30. and all of those skid plates add weight, get a belly up. winch and be done with it
Back to top Go down
SLeach
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
SLeach

Male

PostSubject: Re: Axle & gear question   Axle & gear question Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2007 8:40 pm

My name is Sean btw. I dont know what your budget is but a jeep with 33 and skids can make it up places that a 36 with no skids can, especially if it is a dd. The weight to protection value isnt all that bad
Back to top Go down
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male
Number of posts : 1243

PostSubject: Re: Axle & gear question   Axle & gear question Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2007 10:23 pm

Quote :
My name is Sean btw. I dont know what your budget is but a jeep with 33 and skids can make it up places that a 36 with no skids can, especially if it is a dd. The weight to protection value isnt all that bad

I wouldn't go that far. But the type of wheeling ya do, skid it up don't worry about lockers just yet
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
SLeach
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
SLeach

Male

PostSubject: Re: Axle & gear question   Axle & gear question Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2007 12:10 am

ok,
bad example
but my point was that with skids, your not so worried about damaging the undercarraige of your jeep becasue it is protected.

its also generally cheaper to go with skids than a long arm kit.
Back to top Go down
waldo27
LS/Locker
LS/Locker

Male
Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2007-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Axle & gear question   Axle & gear question Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2007 12:39 am

what all does the belly up protect I have the factory skids for the transfer case and one for the gas tank both have dents from this weekend but still look like there in good shape. i know i need oil pan and steering box protection among other thingsbut those are the 2 im going for first
Back to top Go down
SLOPAR
Open/Locker
Open/Locker

Male
Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2007-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Axle & gear question   Axle & gear question Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2007 1:44 am

Belly up is a whole nuther can of worms. Google search and you will get tons of info regarding why it is a fantastic yet complicated mod. With the original question, no you do not have a LS in your front Dana 30 and yes the gears match the rear. If you are only planning on mild wheeling (greens/blues) then add a lunch box locker to your rear 44, skid row engine skid and your choice gas tank skid and rock it. If you plan on going more advanced let us know because that will again open Pandora's box.
Back to top Go down
chics4jeeps
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
chics4jeeps

Female
Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2007-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Axle & gear question   Axle & gear question Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2007 9:44 am

Damn!! thnx for all the input...I figured I would get so many different opinions. Yes, greens/blues...for now...it's my DD but would like to play in the blues regularly. Looking for another Jeep to beat the hell out of but that's on the wish list for now. Soooo, for the time being I'll bang up the dd. Gonna get the skids and go. What's a lunch box locker? It's been mentioned a couple of times.
Back to top Go down
Grason
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool

Male

PostSubject: Re: Axle & gear question   Axle & gear question Icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2007 8:11 am

lunchbox lockers are like lockright, powertrax, or aussie lockers that just replace the spider gears inside the carrier.
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male
Number of posts : 1875

PostSubject: Re: Axle & gear question   Axle & gear question Icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2007 8:42 pm

lol! I just noticed your tag Grayson. I still can't belive that guy said that.
Back to top Go down
Grason
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool

Male

PostSubject: Re: Axle & gear question   Axle & gear question Icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2007 9:26 pm

md4wheelin wrote:
lol! I just noticed your tag Grayson. I still can't belive that guy said that.

haha me neither. asdyuysigidfdjbisd
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Axle & gear question   Axle & gear question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Axle & gear question
Page 1 of 1