Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

Wheel spacers info

Go down 
+2
Rockn93YJ
UPNOVER
6 posters
AuthorMessage
UPNOVER
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
UPNOVER

Male
Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2007-01-19

Wheel spacers info Empty
PostSubject: Wheel spacers info   Wheel spacers info Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2007 11:14 pm

What is the benefit with running wheel spacers? Or disadvantages.

Obviously it will give me a inch and a half on each side axle width. Will I see any obvious benefits?
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Wheel spacers info Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wheel spacers info   Wheel spacers info Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2007 11:52 pm

I believe wheel spacers are primarily used for tire clearance and increase the wheelbase width. also good for loosing a tire down the highway if you forget to retorque the lug nuts after a hundred miles.
Back to top Go down
UPNOVER
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
UPNOVER

Male

Wheel spacers info Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wheel spacers info   Wheel spacers info Icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2007 12:09 am

I have a brand new set available to me cheap but dont know if I want them. I did a search on pirate and one of the manufacturers were stating they also help with turning radius. I cant make up my mind if a wider stance would be better for turning radius or not..

I am a good 4 to 5 inches past the fenders now. I constantly get the mud thrown on the arm now while wheeling...
Back to top Go down
The Devil Dog
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
The Devil Dog

Male
Number of posts : 1306
Emploi : New Suzuki and Used Car Sales

Wheel spacers info Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wheel spacers info   Wheel spacers info Icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2007 8:21 am

The benefit is the fact you can turn easier. That is about all I can think of. And yes when you are mud driving it's all in your face and cabin, that would be the disadvantage. Just my two cents!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/tico_mrr
mdcj7
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
mdcj7

Male
Number of posts : 438

Wheel spacers info Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wheel spacers info   Wheel spacers info Icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2007 9:30 am

The only way you will get a better turning radius is if you are hitting your srings or frame with your tire. Move it out and you can turn it a little more.
Then you have tire scrub picture your turing point, where your ball joints are now and how much tire is outside of the center line of the ball joint put on the spacer it's out even farther inturn making it harder on your steering.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671

Wheel spacers info Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wheel spacers info   Wheel spacers info Icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2007 11:26 pm

mdcj7 wrote:
The only way you will get a better turning radius is if you are hitting your srings or frame with your tire. Move it out and you can turn it a little more.
Then you have tire scrub picture your turing point, where your ball joints are now and how much tire is outside of the center line of the ball joint put on the spacer it's out even farther inturn making it harder on your steering.
Ditto. plus the tire may also scrub the fender wall with the back outside edge of the tire since the tire will tend to have a sweeping motion as you turn instead of turning in place.
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male
Number of posts : 1875

Wheel spacers info Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wheel spacers info   Wheel spacers info Icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2007 12:18 pm

I need a set of spacers for the back just because 8.8 is shorter then the D30. Other then axel size and moving the tires out because of back spacing on the rims is wrong they don't have to much other advantages.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558

Wheel spacers info Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wheel spacers info   Wheel spacers info Icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2007 12:35 pm

I have the same problem joe. I'm going to run 1.25 or 1.5 inch spacers that change the lug pattern to 5 on 5.5 since i'm running ford outters. But you can get a set for the 5 on 4.5 fpr under a 100 bucks.
Back to top Go down
UPNOVER
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
UPNOVER

Male

Wheel spacers info Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wheel spacers info   Wheel spacers info Icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2007 12:40 pm

I was just looking at a wider footprint being more stable but I dont think the advantage is worth it.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558

Wheel spacers info Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wheel spacers info   Wheel spacers info Icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2007 10:58 pm

Its only worth it if you have clearance issues. I'm doing it to get close to matching the front and help clear the rear fender wells a little.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Wheel spacers info Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wheel spacers info   Wheel spacers info Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wheel spacers info
Page 1 of 1