Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

Info on a Ford 8.8

Go down 
+3
SLeach
Rockn93YJ
Chris Taylor
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris Taylor
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Chris Taylor

Male
Number of posts : 359
Registration date : 2007-02-07

Info on a Ford 8.8 Empty
PostSubject: Info on a Ford 8.8   Info on a Ford 8.8 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2007 9:13 pm

I am activily looking for a 8.8 for my Jeep. Besides mounting brackets what else needs to be done to fit this to a Wrangler?
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Info on a Ford 8.8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Info on a Ford 8.8   Info on a Ford 8.8 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2007 9:55 pm

Nester would be the best to ask about that. randy wood may be able to find one for you pretty easily as well. Generally you have to consider axle width compared to stock, bolt pattern, mounting brackets and gear ratio to match the front. I will have a 9" rear from a 78 or 79 Bronco for sale in the coming months but not sure of the timing of it all for you. It would definitely have to be cut down since it has full width axles.
Back to top Go down
SLeach
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
SLeach

Male
Number of posts : 146

Info on a Ford 8.8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Info on a Ford 8.8   Info on a Ford 8.8 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2007 10:12 pm

Google 8.8 swap into a tj
there must be at least 5 swaps out there
Back to top Go down
UPNOVER
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
UPNOVER

Male
Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2007-01-19

Info on a Ford 8.8 Empty
PostSubject: re   Info on a Ford 8.8 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2007 10:18 pm

Stop by and talk to Jason from Powers Rock and Rally. His shop is right in Abingdon on your way home everyday. He has a 8.8 in his TJ. You can get in touch with him thru the Creepers website. His shop and number are under the vendor area.. Nice guy..
Back to top Go down
Chris Taylor
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Chris Taylor

Male

Info on a Ford 8.8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Info on a Ford 8.8   Info on a Ford 8.8 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2007 10:27 pm

Rockn93YJ wrote:
I will have a 9" rear from a 78 or 79 Bronco for sale in the coming months but not sure of the timing of it all for you. It would definitely have to be cut down since it has full width axles.

Not in a real rush, just something I am looking to do at some point in the near future. A friend is looking also for me. He has a contact at a pretty big yard that gets the wrecks off 95. I am hoping some one with a Rubicon totals one and I can get the 44's with lockers for front and rear. Of course I hope the person is not hurt in the process. lol!
Back to top Go down
UPNOVER
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
UPNOVER

Male
Number of posts : 856

Info on a Ford 8.8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Info on a Ford 8.8   Info on a Ford 8.8 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2007 10:48 pm

Chris Taylor wrote:
Rockn93YJ wrote:
I will have a 9" rear from a 78 or 79 Bronco for sale in the coming months but not sure of the timing of it all for you. It would definitely have to be cut down since it has full width axles.

Not in a real rush, just something I am looking to do at some point in the near future. A friend is looking also for me. He has a contact at a pretty big yard that gets the wrecks off 95. I am hoping some one with a Rubicon totals one and I can get the 44's with lockers for front and rear. Of course I hope the person is not hurt in the process. lol!

Sullivans Towing????

If you are referring to Sullivans they used to have 95 wrapped up. I used to work with Wayne Jr.. They have a lot right here on 40 and I always watch for jeeps..
Jim, who owns Vince's salvage on philadelphia rd is my neighbor but soon as a jeep hits the yard its gone...
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male
Number of posts : 1875

Info on a Ford 8.8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Info on a Ford 8.8   Info on a Ford 8.8 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2007 11:02 pm

I have the 8.8 in the back of my grand. Do a search all the info you need is out there. Heres a good one to get you started.

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674123&highlight=ford+8.8

Also stay away from vince's he likes to rape people on everything. I found my 2004 8.8 with the ratio and limited slip I was looking for for $350 delivered while vinces wanted $450 just for what ever axel they had.
Back to top Go down
Locked_N_Loaded
Admin
Admin
Locked_N_Loaded

Male
Number of posts : 1783
Registration date : 2007-02-09

Info on a Ford 8.8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Info on a Ford 8.8   Info on a Ford 8.8 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2007 1:50 am

You can grab this rear cheap (=<400) however it all depends on disc brakes or drum. Jason had his swap for $75 for an 8.8 rear, however, he is still running drums. If you put this into the disc brake and 30 spline range you are close to the 5-600 mark. Also consider ebrake cable kits, spring mounts, or the M.O.R.E. kit, etc.
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male

Info on a Ford 8.8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Info on a Ford 8.8   Info on a Ford 8.8 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2007 10:18 am

$350 got me eveything I needed on the axel disk to disk. I cut the brackets off of my old 35 to save the $350 or so for the kit. Also your going to have to order flange to mount your driveshaft to the axel. As for the e brakes they should bolt right up. You will have to gut both calibers and rebuild it with each others parts to make the 8.8 work off the jeeps brake lines with no modding. The hardest part about the swap was all the prep work. Now if you don't have a welder, grinder, alot of paitence, ect this swap can get a bit expenseive. It took me about a week of evenings and a full weekened to complete. If you look around there is always 8.8s for sale for tjs with lockers gears ect already installed for a good price.
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male

Info on a Ford 8.8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Info on a Ford 8.8   Info on a Ford 8.8 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2007 10:24 am

oh and one more thing make sure you get one with disk brackes because in the event that you do snap a axel the disks will keep the axel from walking out on you. This is one point I love about the zj D35's mbn
Back to top Go down
Locked_N_Loaded
Admin
Admin
Locked_N_Loaded

Male
Number of posts : 1783
Registration date : 2007-02-09

Info on a Ford 8.8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Info on a Ford 8.8   Info on a Ford 8.8 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2007 12:21 pm

Actually, I paid $50 for my 8.8. That was the deductible for the warranty. Dana 35 broke and warranty company dished out over $1000 for it so that's when the 8.8 was in order. The warranty company wasn't a big fan of my Jeep - luckily they never saw it!
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558

Info on a Ford 8.8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Info on a Ford 8.8   Info on a Ford 8.8 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2007 5:40 pm

md4wheelin wrote:
$350 got me eveything I needed on the axel disk to disk. I cut the brackets off of my old 35 to save the $350 or so for the kit. Also your going to have to order flange to mount your driveshaft to the axel. As for the e brakes they should bolt right up. You will have to gut both calibers and rebuild it with each others parts to make the 8.8 work off the jeeps brake lines with no modding. The hardest part about the swap was all the prep work. Now if you don't have a welder, grinder, alot of paitence, ect this swap can get a bit expenseive. It took me about a week of evenings and a full weekened to complete. If you look around there is always 8.8s for sale for tjs with lockers gears ect already installed for a good price.

I paid 350 for mine and it was set and ready to install and I just found it. I think I could have found a better deal only thing was my D35 was trashed and I needed to wheel. Chris take your time hunting for one and keep a eye on them in VA. if you find one let me know I might be able to help you get it before someone else does cause they go quick. Its nice to hear your thinking about going 8.8 its a good move in my book.
Back to top Go down
Chris Taylor
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Chris Taylor

Male

Info on a Ford 8.8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Info on a Ford 8.8   Info on a Ford 8.8 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 26, 2007 9:00 am

Where are the best places to be looking?
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558

Info on a Ford 8.8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Info on a Ford 8.8   Info on a Ford 8.8 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 26, 2007 9:48 am

All the local forums, Craigslist.org (in MD and VA), ebay, keep your eyes open you might get lucky and trip on one like I did. I will keep a lookout for them. Also in the early spring you should be able to find one at the junk yards before the weather gets nice and all the good stuff is gone.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Info on a Ford 8.8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Info on a Ford 8.8   Info on a Ford 8.8 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Info on a Ford 8.8
Page 1 of 1