Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

Plasma Torch

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male
Number of posts : 1875
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Plasma Torch Empty
PostSubject: Plasma Torch   Plasma Torch Icon_minitimeSun Dec 30, 2007 1:10 am

well I decided to go ahead and get a plasma torch set up. Just wondering what everyone is using or suggesting. My budget is for around a grand, and most the 120v torches ive seen in this range cut up to 1/2" or so which i'm guessing should be fine for what i'm going to be using it for.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671

Plasma Torch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plasma Torch   Plasma Torch Icon_minitimeSun Dec 30, 2007 2:27 am

I dont remember what mine is but it was cheap and works. it was an off brand i read about on pirate. I'll look into it for ya if you like. Its hard to get a smooth cut, still got to use the old grinding wheel to straighten things up afterwards. I take it you already have an air compressor.
Back to top Go down
mdcj7
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
mdcj7

Male
Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2007-01-19

Plasma Torch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plasma Torch   Plasma Torch Icon_minitimeSun Dec 30, 2007 11:20 am

Joe do not get the PARKER off pirate. it is a good price my son got it and had to fight with the guy for 6 months to get one that works.
Back to top Go down
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male
Number of posts : 1243

Plasma Torch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plasma Torch   Plasma Torch Icon_minitimeSun Dec 30, 2007 12:49 pm

my friend has a miller but its 220 I think he paid a little less then a grand on it I don't know what model it is. The biggest thing I found with the plasma, its to make sure you have a good compressior. It will cut a lot better.
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
Grason
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool

Male
Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2007-09-12

Plasma Torch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plasma Torch   Plasma Torch Icon_minitimeSun Dec 30, 2007 12:56 pm

get a good one, i will get lots of good use 7
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male

Plasma Torch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plasma Torch   Plasma Torch Icon_minitimeSun Dec 30, 2007 2:54 pm

Grason wrote:
remember all donations are excepted Wink

When buying larger stuff like this I tend to stick with the bigger more repituble companies incase something goes wrong with the machine. I saw Harbor Freight has one that does up to 12mm for $699. Most of their stuff is junk but they said they have a two year warrenty plan that states if anything goes wrong with in in that two years they give keep giving me new ones with no questions asked. The rest I saw that do the same thing were priced at twice as much with a limited warrenty. It would only get lite use, so I was wondering if it may be able to hold up. If not I guess i'll go with miller/hobart/lincon. With these three all seem to be in the same ball park in price on 3/8 " steel. Ive had good louck with my lincon welder so I was thinking about going and trying to find one of those on sale some were local. Does anyone know a good place local or larger internet company that carry's them on sale. As for the air supplie I got that covered as soon as the details get worked out for the shop that we should be moving into in the next month or so mbn 9 cheers
Back to top Go down
Grason
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool

Male
Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2007-09-12

Plasma Torch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plasma Torch   Plasma Torch Icon_minitimeSun Dec 30, 2007 6:42 pm

md4wheelin wrote:
Grason wrote:
remember all donations are excepted Wink

When buying larger stuff like this I tend to stick with the bigger more repituble companies incase something goes wrong with the machine. I saw Harbor Freight has one that does up to 12mm for $699. Most of their stuff is junk but they said they have a two year warrenty plan that states if anything goes wrong with in in that two years they give keep giving me new ones with no questions asked. The rest I saw that do the same thing were priced at twice as much with a limited warrenty. It would only get lite use, so I was wondering if it may be able to hold up. If not I guess i'll go with miller/hobart/lincon. With these three all seem to be in the same ball park in price on 3/8 " steel. Ive had good louck with my lincon welder so I was thinking about going and trying to find one of those on sale some were local. Does anyone know a good place local or larger internet company that carry's them on sale. As for the air supplie I got that covered as soon as the details get worked out for the shop that we should be moving into in the next month or so mbn 9 cheers

im getting i miller 230 within the next couple weeks mbn
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male

Plasma Torch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plasma Torch   Plasma Torch Icon_minitimeTue Jan 01, 2008 7:06 pm

tell you what i'll cut you a deal, you get the torch and i'll go ahead and get a good tube bender and we can swap back and forth.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671

Plasma Torch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plasma Torch   Plasma Torch Icon_minitimeTue Jan 01, 2008 9:21 pm

as it turns out the model I bought a year ago is the Hypertherm powermax 380. I had to run a new wire and breaker to run the thing but well worth it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Plasma Torch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plasma Torch   Plasma Torch Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Plasma Torch
Page 1 of 1