Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

Do i need a tow hook?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
SLeach
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
SLeach

Male
Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Do i need a tow hook? Empty
PostSubject: Do i need a tow hook?   Do i need a tow hook? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 20, 2007 3:23 pm

Do i need a rear tow hook to go up to rausche creek or paragon? If so, how can i go about this without buying a new bumper. Ive got a 94 wrangler. Thank you.
Back to top Go down
MYYJROX
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
MYYJROX

Female
Number of posts : 738
Registration date : 2007-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Do i need a tow hook?   Do i need a tow hook? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 20, 2007 3:48 pm

You do need to have some kind of tow point in the rear. On a 94 you should be able to get tow hooks that mount to the side of your frame (on either side of the gas tank behind your tires). There should already be some holes there that you can use. Danny found some hooks designed for this application but I don't remember where.
Back to top Go down
SLeach
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
SLeach

Male

PostSubject: Re: Do i need a tow hook?   Do i need a tow hook? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 20, 2007 9:42 pm

The only issue is the shackle in the rear. If i do this, will the park accept it as a real anchor or not? Thank you.
Back to top Go down
onemoretime
Admin
Admin
onemoretime

Male
Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2007-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Do i need a tow hook?   Do i need a tow hook? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 20, 2007 9:50 pm

I hate to say it this way. But i have tow hooks front and rear and they are for looks only neither would take a yugo tugging at them. I use my shackles to attach to for now. As for will they allow them. Yes they will. I have been to both parks and paragon officials did not say anything to me about it.Smile Now of course it would be better to have hooks that were mounted securely. But this will do in a pinch.
Back to top Go down
https://mrr4x4cforum.editboard.com
SLeach
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
SLeach

Male

PostSubject: Re: Do i need a tow hook?   Do i need a tow hook? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 21, 2007 2:09 pm

if i do it, the bolts would go al the way through the frame. They are also grade 8 bolts.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558

PostSubject: Re: Do i need a tow hook?   Do i need a tow hook? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 21, 2007 8:19 pm

Hey man I was in the same spot you were at when I started wheeling. If your looking for a cheap way to get atow hook on a Yj and you don't know anyone with a welder your best is to go on ebay. They have a ton of guys that sell the knock off rock crawler bumpers that come with a hitch point to put in the trailer D-ring that warn has (they sell it at TSC) and your set. total shouldn't cost more than 200 bucks. If you want to see the bumper it know on tico's jeep. its seen alot of use and works great. just my 2 cents, having a friend with a welder to put on a clevis for d-rings is stil alot cheaper.
Back to top Go down
connordanny
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
connordanny

Male
Number of posts : 695

PostSubject: Re: Do i need a tow hook?   Do i need a tow hook? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2007 11:31 am

http://www.stu-offroad.com/guards/gas/tj_hooks.htm

This is what I did on my TJ. There is already 1 hole, I just had to drill one more. I got the hook for $8 at Tractor Supply. I also picked up the grade 8 bolts there too. I don't believe there are any holes on the frame on my '91 YJ. I'll have to drill 2 holes to make it work. Just have to be careful not to drill into the gas tank on the other side of the frame!!

I also have a rear bumper on my TJ with "D" rings, but I prefer to use the frame mounted hook because I feel like the bumper is pulling away from the frame.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do i need a tow hook?   Do i need a tow hook? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Do i need a tow hook?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: 4x4 Tech :: OFFROAD TECH-
Jump to: