Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

Trailer question

Go down 
+2
CamoK5
UPNOVER
6 posters
AuthorMessage
UPNOVER
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
UPNOVER

Male
Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2007-01-19

Trailer question Empty
PostSubject: Trailer question   Trailer question Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 4:01 pm

Talk to me about gooseneck trailers. Is it worth it going to the gooseneck. I am in the market for a car trailer that will haul two rigs.

Should I go with a gooseneck or bumper mount?

Tow rig is a new 2500 duramax crew cab short bed single rear wheel.

Last edited by UPNOVER on Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
CamoK5
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
CamoK5

Male
Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Trailer question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trailer question   Trailer question Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 4:06 pm

Due to the overall length I would go with a gooseneck for ease of turning in tight spots.
Back to top Go down
Twisted Willys
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
Twisted Willys

Male
Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2007-06-10

Trailer question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trailer question   Trailer question Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 5:33 pm

Without a doubt go gooseneck .
If you are thinking new I recomend Trailer Enterprisees in Maugansville, MD. 1-301-791-5343. Ask for Jim, Tell him Dave from Stateline sent you. Very good products, very good to deal with.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/DLLME
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male
Number of posts : 1875

Trailer question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trailer question   Trailer question Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 8:37 pm

goose neck if your running only a 3/4 ton truck. your hitch is only set up for 10k I think. Also the goose neck is a little better in tight situations because you can jack-knife it more.
Back to top Go down
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male
Number of posts : 1243

Trailer question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trailer question   Trailer question Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 10:00 pm

normal class 5 hitch would be fine, but if you are gettin a new trailer get a goose neck. its not to much more money but its much better IMO.
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558

Trailer question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trailer question   Trailer question Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 10:06 pm

goose neck better for moving it around and they handle better cause the weight in over the rear axle.
Back to top Go down
UPNOVER
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
UPNOVER

Male

Trailer question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trailer question   Trailer question Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 10:39 pm

Class V is rated up to 14,000.

I am not worried about my 3/4 ton pulling it.. That is not an issue.. I was more looking for advantages of a gooseneck.

Mainly what I have seen and heard is the turning ability of a gooseneck and I like the fact the weight is on the rear axle and not behind it.
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male

Trailer question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trailer question   Trailer question Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 10:43 pm

I don't think you can get a class 5 hitch on a srw truck. Also its not about the abilty to pull it, its how much weight is on the ass end of the truck. Trust me I own a 250, 350, and a 450 and wouldn't put a loaded 14000# trailer on the hitch of my 250. I have a 14000# dump trailer if you want to see how it works out.
Back to top Go down
UPNOVER
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
UPNOVER

Male

Trailer question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trailer question   Trailer question Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 11:04 pm

There's a class V on it right now that came from the factory.....

So, you saying all these guys pulling these 30foot plus fifth wheel campers with a srw arent over 14,000 lbs.. and they all are unsafe..or are you talking about being on the hitch.

I pulled a 38 foot scarab with twin big blocks that weighted over 14000 with my 03 duramax srw and I got no sway at all. Would I do it through the mountains, NO..

Im going to go for the gooseneck anyhow
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male

Trailer question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trailer question   Trailer question Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 11:56 pm

I'm talking about on the hitch not 5th wheel. With a 5th wheel you shouldn't have any prob with 14000#. after looking at my truck its rated up to 15,000 on the hitch which I thought was a class v.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Trailer question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trailer question   Trailer question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Trailer question
Page 1 of 1