Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

Vehicle registration/inspection

Go down 
+3
Rockn93YJ
mdcj7
RatLabGuy
7 posters
AuthorMessage
RatLabGuy
LS/Locker
LS/Locker

Male
Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2008-03-30

Vehicle registration/inspection Empty
PostSubject: Vehicle registration/inspection   Vehicle registration/inspection Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2008 12:43 am

Hi guys, just moved here from NC.
I need to get my vehcile(s) inspected... '97 Saturn, '03 Mazda Protege5, and (the real toy) '89 4Runner.
what's involved in registration and inspection here? in NC, registration is easy, you show proof of ownership (title or bill of sale) and the issue you a new title in teh mail ()after paying many fees/taxes) and tax you basedo n vehicle's value (which they seem to just make up on teh spot, lol).
Then there is an annual inspection - but inspection is not required for registration (e.g. you can title/register a non-moving or otherwise non-road vehicle).
From reading, I get the impression that here, inspection is required for title/registration? Is this correct? If so, what is involved in the inspection, and are there suggestions for the most "friendly" route to do it for a modified (lifted) vehicle? From readig the rulkes, if I understand right, I should fit under the lift laws (only 32s and ~3" add'l lift on a 4Runner) but I'd rather it be as hassle-free as possible.
Also - from the MVA site, I see there are different vehicle codes (pass. Vehicle, Multipurpose vehicle, Truck, etc). for teh 4Runner, aside from the obvious diffs in fees, does it matter? Advantage to one vs another? I know my current curb weight is > 4k lbs, but the OE book weight is much less.
Back to top Go down
mdcj7
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
mdcj7

Male
Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2007-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Vehicle registration/inspection   Vehicle registration/inspection Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2008 5:18 pm

yes you will need to run them throught inspection and pay taxes on them (Maryland Suchs for taxes) The trick is to find a honest inspection station. I'm not from that area so I can not help you out with that. For the toy tires must be under the flares even though you see many trucks with them sticking out, lift wise bottom of bumper can not be higher than 27" at any spot they choose not the lowest point. the only good news is once you pass you don't have to do it again. hope this helps
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671
Registration date : 2007-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Vehicle registration/inspection   Vehicle registration/inspection Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2008 5:49 pm

tires are the only thing that is fairly cut and dry. if you can drop a quarter from the edge of teh fender flare and hit tread then it will not pass. if it hits sidewall you are ok. Agreed with having to pay maryland taxes on the vehicle, get the checkbook out. I have to do emissions testing every 2 years, I don't know if you are in an area that requires that.
Back to top Go down
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male
Number of posts : 1243

PostSubject: Re: Vehicle registration/inspection   Vehicle registration/inspection Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2008 7:16 pm

Quote :
I have to do emissions testing every 2 years, I don't know if you are in an area that requires that.

Yes he is
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
UPNOVER
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
UPNOVER

Male
Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2007-01-19

PostSubject: re   Vehicle registration/inspection Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2008 7:47 pm

Go see Dave at First Choice Automotive in Joppa. Just south of Aberdeen. Then just a block north on Mountain rd and Clayton rd is Dave's tag and title. He does the title/tag work right there and you dont have to stand in line.. The emissions will come in a few months and its north of Belair.

Let Dave know Matt from Sears sent you...He is very fair. If you need anything parts wise for the inspection let me know.. We have the MRR connection..
Back to top Go down
Chris Taylor
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Chris Taylor

Male
Number of posts : 359
Registration date : 2007-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Vehicle registration/inspection   Vehicle registration/inspection Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2008 9:02 am

For the inspection I have a place I would recomend in BelAir. I have taken all my vehicles there and even the lifted Jeep passed with out problem. They will work with you on the stupid stuff if you are not selling it.

Call me 443 790 9917 or Pm me for the details
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671

PostSubject: Re: Vehicle registration/inspection   Vehicle registration/inspection Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2008 2:42 pm

another possibility for the future if you have problems with emissions is to turn in the tags and get it tagged as historic once it hits 20 years old, no inspection and more importantly no emissions.
Back to top Go down
tom85
Open/Open
Open/Open
tom85

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2008-07-08

PostSubject: Re: Vehicle registration/inspection   Vehicle registration/inspection Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2008 4:18 pm

this should help i just went trew this i got pulled over with 35" tires and got a ticket for that and for my truck being 30.5" i have a 6" lift i just put 31" tires on it and they passed it. Its 28" to the bottom of the frame if you have a after market bumper. and if you have any visable rust holes in the body you have to fix it as fare as emmisions go it being a toy you shouldnt have a problem and like Rockn93YJ said 20 hrs its a historic which is nice you can be left alone for the truck. Good luck>
Back to top Go down
RatLabGuy
LS/Locker
LS/Locker

Male
Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2008-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Vehicle registration/inspection   Vehicle registration/inspection Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2008 6:18 pm

tom85 wrote:
this should help i just went trew this i got pulled over with 35" tires and got a ticket for that and for my truck being 30.5" i have a 6" lift i just put 31" tires on it and they passed it. Its 28" to the bottom of the frame if you have a after market bumper. and if you have any visable rust holes in the body you have to fix it as fare as emmisions go it being a toy you shouldnt have a problem and like Rockn93YJ said 20 hrs its a historic which is nice you can be left alone for the truck. Good luck>

Good to know.
I made both my fron tand rear bumpers (rect. tube)... both are well within limit at theor lowest point, but the front is pretty high at it's highest if they really are picky. Right now I have to fix teh front turn signals, I put them in place when I made the bumper ust liek 2 weeks ago) but waven't wired them in yet.

No visible rust? you have to be kidding me. Find me a toy truck > 10 years of age w/o any rust!
Back to top Go down
tom85
Open/Open
Open/Open
tom85

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2008-07-08

PostSubject: Re: Vehicle registration/inspection   Vehicle registration/inspection Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2008 7:56 pm

well im just saying no rust cause there cant be any rust holes in the body i had to bondo over the holes cause i bought it in delaware and they dont care about rust and they measured to the front cross member on mine they didnt realy care about the rear. What you said about your runner it will pass
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vehicle registration/inspection   Vehicle registration/inspection Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Vehicle registration/inspection
Page 1 of 1