Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

Black N Blue Growing Up

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
projblacknblue
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
projblacknblue

Male
Number of posts : 297
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Black N Blue Growing Up Empty
PostSubject: Black N Blue Growing Up   Black N Blue Growing Up Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2008 12:26 pm

Ok... time to spill the beans on my build up...

Since my last wheeling adventure in March I have been playing hermit crab... Blues and Greens were losing their thrill, and blacks just had me holding everyone up while I throttled through or trail pave (both abusive... either to Blue, or my ego).

So... the original plan was to get a fender kit and not a lift (AEV Hi Line, etc).

After inspecting the front end during my monthly service (greasing all the fittings, etc)... I found an issue with the track bar frame mount... so I had to started researching lifts with a bracket to replace it.

That led me down the long arm path...

Luck was on my side because while I was on the road trip cross country I got a call from a guy who has had a long arm kit sitting on the shelf he can't get rid of... I thought it over a day or two because it was a 6" lift and I was not intending on going that high (plu no cell reception in Bad Lands, SD).

Called him back for details... turns out it was a Fabtec... and he would throw in the SYE and driveshaft... along with payments instead of all up front... couldn't pass up a deal like that (and almost half the list price.. if his description is accurate, then it is the High Clearance Rock Crawler with wishbone rear).

Bigger lift means bigger tires... plus my plastic flares are shot, so I went hunting again... RC parts bin revealed Gen Right 6" flat fenders and steel flares... so I am picking them up at RCRocs... to replace and extend...

4" up means I should clear 37"... especially with the fenders... definitely 35s...

For the street the axles should handle it... for now...

The goal in mind is new axles for Big Dog Icebreakers next season... any wheeling before then will be Green/Blue to take it easy on the axles and get use to the new flex and roll...

So in theory all is well... so far the house of cards is built... now I just sit and wait for the parts...

So Joe... think I will be ready for Follow the Leader again?
Back to top Go down
http://photos.yahoo.com/prophoto26
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male
Number of posts : 1875

PostSubject: Re: Black N Blue Growing Up   Black N Blue Growing Up Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2008 2:18 pm

mrjeepy wrote:

So Joe... think I will be ready for Follow the Leader again?

I hope so, it just hasn't felt right wheeling without my tailgunner. I'm also hoping to have the d60's and 4 to 1 kit in by next ice breakers.

Also have you picked up another DD yet?
Back to top Go down
projblacknblue
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
projblacknblue

Male

PostSubject: Re: Black N Blue Growing Up   Black N Blue Growing Up Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2008 3:02 pm

had one...

dad gave me his 98 dakota...

of course someone ripped the ignition out...

why anyone would want to steal a 98 rusted out truck with 200,000 miles on it (no exhaust, seats broken, seat belts need work, doors don't lock (rusted)... asdyuysigidfdjbisd

It was going to be a cheap tow vehicle/emergency back up vehicle to Blue if he's under the wrench...

It will be again... once I can get the ignition fixed... back burner for now...
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558
Registration date : 2007-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Black N Blue Growing Up   Black N Blue Growing Up Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2008 3:17 pm

Tony, I dont thing you will need a rear end. The Dana 44 is plenty strong. The front is what you should focus on. Just for you piece of mind I wheeled a Dana 30 with 37 for a year and only busted one U-joint. Before that I wheeled 35's for the year before that and didn't break any. Keep in mind that know I have a bent axle housing bad ball joints and worn out wheel bearing and the steering is shot.

What gears are you planning on running in the TJ after the lift?

Send me a list of what you need for the Dodge and if I go to the junk yard before you I will get you some parts. EZ pull is super cheap.
Back to top Go down
projblacknblue
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
projblacknblue

Male

PostSubject: Re: Black N Blue Growing Up   Black N Blue Growing Up Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2008 4:18 pm

for now the rear will stay as is... as you said the front needs work...

I bent mine last year... well... at least the mounts, but I am sure the tube took a hit too since it has never been quite the same.

if i can find a 44 front i will grab it up... and shooting for 4.56 or 4.88 gears...

depending on how it handles i may consider loc right for the rear... til it can get beefed up too...

as for the dodge... i'll do a separate post for that... I have not dug into the damage too much from the break in... pulled the battery and a few other tricks so they can't come back and finish off the job...
Back to top Go down
SLeach
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
SLeach

Male
Number of posts : 146

PostSubject: Re: Black N Blue Growing Up   Black N Blue Growing Up Icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2008 10:57 am

well now i am definatly not following you down a path that the loggers destroyed but might still be there.

The Tj's have the biggeru joints and one piece axles up front and depending on year they may be the 79something u joints. They should hold up just fine.
Back to top Go down
projblacknblue
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
projblacknblue

Male

PostSubject: Re: Black N Blue Growing Up   Black N Blue Growing Up Icon_minitimeSat Aug 30, 2008 1:02 pm

sonofsam02 wrote:
well now i am definatly not following you down a path that the loggers destroyed but might still be there.

You can still follow... Alex was the only one who got stuck. asdyuysigidfdjbisd

I will still be doing greens and blues for awhile to get used to it... I'll give you a shout when I am going...

Still at Bass Pro? haven't seen your Jeep in awhile...
Back to top Go down
SLeach
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
SLeach

Male
Number of posts : 146

PostSubject: Re: Black N Blue Growing Up   Black N Blue Growing Up Icon_minitimeMon Sep 01, 2008 11:48 am

Im going to the ADA Run. Is alex going to that? You think your gona make it?

I left Bass Pro shops. Im up at Advance Auto in Odenton, i figured i spent so much time and money there i might as well work there and get a discount. But right now i am out in Frostburg, Md getting my education on.
Back to top Go down
projblacknblue
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
projblacknblue

Male

PostSubject: Re: Black N Blue Growing Up   Black N Blue Growing Up Icon_minitimeMon Sep 01, 2008 6:16 pm

i am planning on both days... alex is seriously considering...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Black N Blue Growing Up   Black N Blue Growing Up Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Black N Blue Growing Up
Page 1 of 1