Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

Still No Oil Pressure

Go down 
+8
Rockn93YJ
thinga'ma'rig
makitupthehardway
SLeach
CamoK5
mdcj7
RatLabGuy
projblacknblue
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
thinga'ma'rig
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
thinga'ma'rig

Male
Number of posts : 972
Registration date : 2007-01-22

Still No Oil Pressure - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Still No Oil Pressure   Still No Oil Pressure - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 8:50 am

i hope you figure out the prob.
Back to top Go down
projblacknblue
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
projblacknblue

Male
Number of posts : 297
Registration date : 2007-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Still No Oil Pressure   Still No Oil Pressure - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 08, 2008 10:34 pm

Rockn93YJ wrote:
status? found you a motor with under 100k miles from a 98 TJ $200 I think.

http://www.rc4x4.org/rcforum/index.php/topic,3284.0.html

I had over 100 hours in at work two weeks ago... Goodwill/Ravens had a buyout (rented the store all night) and raised 200,000 for charity... had me working my butt off.

Left little time to Black N Blue...

Finally had today off, but overslept and had a lazy day...

I have learned the source of the squealing... I had to move the jeep in the parking lot... in the process lost power steering... never heard a pump squeal so bad before...

Still want to pull the valve cover, but after a second look through the vent holes I think the grit happened from some of the dirt off the top of the cover when I pulled it the first time... none in the fill area or the firewall side of the breather...

Gotta get to the dealer and puck up the oil pump/pick up assembly...

And going through it all in my head... I think it is a cylinder head problem... maybe just head gasket....

Here is why...

Pressure drops when hot. (Expansion)

Bubbles in radiator fluid at higher rpm (thought water pump cavitation... but maybe not... doesn't do it at idle... but maybe it is a small seal break)

On the compression test it was high... book says 165ish... mine was 180... so if coolant drips in wouldn't that boost compression?

Haven't really spent a lot of time looking at Crazy Rays or anything... I will check out the RC engine... have to swap intake on it for my year I think... (there was a change after 99... not sure how much changes but hopefully not too bad).

In a fleeting moment of fantasy I looked at the 5.7L hemi upgrade... and quickly decided no...

Engine would be over 3K used (10K crate)...
Need an auto tranny from a Grand
Bigger axles for the power
Atlas T-Case

Too much money... for now...

If only it didn't have to be emissions legal... muwahahaha...
Back to top Go down
http://photos.yahoo.com/prophoto26
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671

PostSubject: Re: Still No Oil Pressure   Still No Oil Pressure - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2008 10:16 am

Coolant may drip in but usually it would smoke while running if it were that much. As far as boosting compression I don't think it would, and definitely not in all cyllinders.
Going back to the original injury, sorry but I have to. Going into mud usually goes bad when water enters the intake. water doesn't compress when the piston rises and causes damage to internal parts, usually a piston rod. If you put that much strain through a piston rod you could damage the crank bearings. The second part of the damage was the impact to the oil pan. The only thing this can really damage is the oil pump and the seals. You already replaced the pump and pan. I would move on to look at the bearings on the crankshaft before bringing the cyl head into play. Dropping the oil pan is where I'd go from here and check each one of the crank bearings. pay attention to torque specifications on the caps when you reassemble and torque in stepwise fashion(if 120 ft # go to 85 then 110 then 120 for example) good luck.
Back to top Go down
mdcj7
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
mdcj7

Male
Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2007-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Still No Oil Pressure   Still No Oil Pressure - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2008 12:09 pm

mrjeepy wrote:

Bubbles in radiator fluid at higher rpm (thought water pump cavitation... but maybe not... doesn't do it at idle... but maybe it is a small seal break)

Tony Bubbles in the radiator generaly means a head gasket but you should also smeel antifreze from the exhaust when running.
Back to top Go down
projblacknblue
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
projblacknblue

Male

PostSubject: Re: Still No Oil Pressure   Still No Oil Pressure - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2008 1:15 pm

At this point I am waiting on a reply from the thread Bill posted...

My plan is to drop that motor in... Blue back on the road and make sure nothing else shakes loose...

His original motor is going to sit on an engine stand in storage with my motorcycle...

Between projects rebuild the motor so when the temporary one heads south I have one to go back in...
Back to top Go down
lt.dan
LS/Locker
LS/Locker
lt.dan

Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2008-11-12

PostSubject: Re: Still No Oil Pressure   Still No Oil Pressure - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 14, 2008 1:57 am

worn bearings wouldn't put noticeable metal in your oil, the damage would only have to be thousads of an inch to cause the oil pressure to drop. if you had sludge in the oil it probably restricted oil flow causing a lack of flow to the cam bearings, as they are the last to receive oil.
as for compression tests,and head gasket leaks i think they are a wild goose chase ,and are unrelated to a lack of oil pressure.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Still No Oil Pressure   Still No Oil Pressure - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 15, 2008 7:23 pm

Tony, I bought a set of axles from this guy and will be picking it up next weekend. I do have his phone # if you still want the motor.
Back to top Go down
projblacknblue
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
projblacknblue

Male

PostSubject: Re: Still No Oil Pressure   Still No Oil Pressure - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2008 5:23 pm

if you could pass it my way... or if he mentioned still having it...

Thanks bill...

cheers
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Still No Oil Pressure   Still No Oil Pressure - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2008 7:38 pm

703-926-8284 chris pearson
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Still No Oil Pressure   Still No Oil Pressure - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Still No Oil Pressure
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3